Author Topic: pls help verify my tune up sequence  (Read 2393 times)

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
pls help verify my tune up sequence
« on: May 30, 2015, 04:12:21 PM »
Gina lives!  Lesson learned: when working on Italian motorcycles, especially electrical, one must depend on logic, a thorough plan, and the relentless focus of a Jack Russell after a rat.

So it's time to balance out everything and I'm thinking of the following. Please comment as you see fit.

Check carbs just because. I think the last "professional" I hired monkeyed with my idle jets.

Check throttle cables for slack. Also open up throttles to see if the slides stay synced when raised.

Sync new dyna s ignition modules. Bring right side to tdc, hook up test light to the sensor wire on the coil, and make sure the light turnson with the piston at tdc. Tighten down ignition plate. Test left side the same way, but shift the sensor itself.

Check air and fuel screw s on carbs. Start with 1.25 turns "out" for fuel screw and about 1.5 "in" to raise the slide.

Start bike up and fiddle with screws to get it to idle.

"gun" the flywhhel to check the advance marks

Hook up my Frankenstein nanometer and balance carbs

What do you think?  Any tips?
THANK YOU
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
Re: pls help verify my tune up sequence
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 04:14:27 PM »
You have it covered except for the valve adjust/plug gap check.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 07:37:04 PM »
LIght should turn on at the static timing mark instead of TDC.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 12:11:02 AM »
LIght should turn on at the static timing mark instead of TDC.

Hey Chuck-  makes sense. Because I'm wicked lazy and haven't done it for a couple years, how do i do this check without the bike running? Do I run the bike, gun the flywheel, and look for the advance mark, then shut it off, adjust the sensor, start it up and check again?
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 12:11:02 AM »

Offline racasey

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 02:51:07 AM »
If you own a timing light, the engine should be timed with the bike warmed up and running steady at the RPM specified as full advance in your manual.  Engines spend very little of their total running time at idle, hence timing dynamically using the static timing mark makes little sense. 

If you have a concern that the mechanical advance mechanism is not working properly, then watching the full advance come into the window as you smoothly increase RPM will help make a determination concerning proper function of the bob weights. 

So, yes, start the bike, verify full advance at a steady RPM, and if required, stop the engine, correct the timing, start the bike, and retest.  Fortunately, the Dyna S was specifically designed for lazy lads.  You only need to set the timing once in the life of the machine.

IMHO Gunning an engine never makes sense as a normal operation procedure unless the bike does not have a idle stop, a properly set idle circuit, or the operator has a difficult time picking up women.

Ciao,
Dick
84 V65
1090RR MV Agusta
Paul Smart Ducati
'66 Velocette Thruxton VMT 334
'63 Aermacchi 250
Seeley MK-III AJS 500

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 03:06:44 AM »
[snippity]
IMHO Gunning an engine never makes sense as a normal operation procedure unless the bike does not have a idle stop, a properly set idle circuit, or the operator has a difficult time picking up women.

Ciao,
Dick

(in Donna Douglas' voice)  Some's us like the smell.  Me, I do it 'cause it frets on the neighbors when they's shindiggin at the ce ment pond :BEER:

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here