Author Topic: anyone using ram mount for phone/gps?  (Read 3424 times)

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
anyone using ram mount for phone/gps?
« on: October 03, 2015, 10:53:47 AM »
I'm not willing to commit to some fancy Zumo. However, the universal Ram mounts for a phone look handy. The GPS programs on your phone are very good. Anyone using this mount? Is it secure enough so my phone won't go bye bye on the highway? 
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
Re: anyone using ram mount for phone/gps?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 11:21:35 AM »
I have used the RAM Universal Finger Grip mount for many years with no problems. It takes some tweaking to get it so it does not press any of the buttons with the fingers. I use the longer fingers and find I can trust it.
I tried a RAM X-grip. It is a piece of garbage IMHO and now only is used in the car. I wouldn't trust it on the motorcycle.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

canuck750

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 11:22:58 AM »
Cycle Gear is selling a pretty nifty cell phone cradle that clamps around your handle bar and has some quick release tabs that release / secure the phone in the cradle.

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 01:04:36 PM »
I use a RAM mount with a specific cradle for my iPhone 5s.  Works very well. It's unobtrusive, so I leave it mounted to my handlebars full time and snap in the phone when I want GPS.  I also have a small handlebar-mounted USB socket and a short USB-to-Lightning cable, so I can keep the mounted phone charged as I ride.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 01:04:36 PM »

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 01:08:40 PM »
I use one to hold my Veypor motorcycle computer.  It's very well made, holds the computer securely, and with the turn of the knob, I can take everything off, leaving only the ball mount on the bar.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline bouts

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 02:26:47 PM »
Xgrip, 3" extension bar and a ball mount on the handlebar bolt. Places my Garmin 2597 just under my instruments and in the bottom of my vision. Doesn't vibrate. Very happy with it

canuguzzi

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2015, 02:42:07 PM »
I use Panavise. Much stronger than any RAM mount. You can use your choice of phone or GPS model specific holder. You can get a composite fiber construction or all metal. Once you set the position, it will hold a weight in excess of 50 pounds and still not shift.

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2015, 03:44:01 PM »
I use ball mounts on 3 cycles and one that sticks on the windshield for rental cars.  Here's a pix with the GPS mount with an extension.

Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline Madtownguzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2015, 03:47:43 PM »
I use one of these for my GPS. It comes with a ball mount that goes on the handle bars. http://www.jpcycles.com/search/search?Ntt=gps+holder&N=28012733&Ntk=All
Randy S.
98 V11 EV
05 HD Electra Glide Classic
Madison, WI

Offline NorthRider

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2015, 08:32:52 PM »
I have used the Ram X-Grip to hold my IPhone 6 to my Buell Ulysses for over 5000 miles with no problems. And if it can hold my phone on THAT paint shaker, I call it a pretty good unit.
2013 Suzuki TU250X
2009 Buell Ulysses XT
2009 Kawasaki Super Sherpa
2008 Honda Goldwing
1992 Honda Nighthawk

"What is that"?
  "It is a Italian Enigmatic Poly-cylinder dual sport".
"Huh"?
  "A Moto Guzzi Quota".
"What"?

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2015, 08:41:18 PM »
I use RAM mounts on all my bikes for the GPS on smart phones (& the SPOT) - an iPhone 4 specific mount for that phone is good, an X - mount for the android, it works (30,000km on the 1100 Sport), but not very happy with it, the rubber boots on the fingers tend to disappear & replacements are problematic here in Oz. The RAM mounts are flexible enough to be mounted in many places & sound enough to use happily until something better turns up. I've never had a phone fall off, and I remove the phone in the wet. I am not actively looking for a substitute, so for me, they are a satisfactory solution.

Mal
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Penderic

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2015, 08:45:14 PM »
Garmin holder works well for my gps handheld unit. The cable for its power feed is a little messy.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here