Author Topic: Trip report New Mexico!  (Read 3509 times)

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
Trip report New Mexico!
« on: October 19, 2015, 05:46:05 PM »
Well, I'm back from the mountains and high desert of New Mexico- without question one of the greatest adventures I've ever had. I'll get into the details and some cool pictures- but first let me thank all of you for chiming in with advice and things not to be missed. I tried to follow all your advice- but the good news is that there was just too much phenomenal stuff to see and do.  The short list:

My buddy from college and I rented Triumph bonnies from Albuquerque and headed north to Santa Fe, then Taos, the enchanted loop north of Taos and into Cimarron canyon, across the Brazos to Chama, up into CO to Durango, down into Aztec, caught Chaco Canyon, and then back to ABQ.

The bikes were perfect for the canyons and high country. Dependable and easy to handle in the tight stuff.  Were they perfect for the big open flat stuff? Hell no.  However, all and all, just the right tool for the job. My friend (who hasn't ridden in decades) took right back up where he left off. He grew up riding an H2 as a teen, so the triumph seemed luxurious.

The scenery, light, geology, weather- all were sublime. We had 70 degree days and cool evenings.  The quality of light was so incredibly perfect- you can see why artists flock there.

The roads were outstanding for riding. The variety of terrain is amazing- from long, lonely straights that stretch for miles, to long sweepers through high pasture, to tight mountain passes with hairpins. The pavement is excellent and there was no debris or gravel. Really stellar. I can see if you lived there that these conditions would help make you a very good rider.

The people were fantastic. Friendly, warm, welcoming. I found that by making a few comments about the sheer majesty and beauty of the area goes a long way to showing respect and appreciation.

Guzzi content: Rich Arimoto from Santa Fe contacted me and we met up for lunch- had a great time and got to see his righteous Bassa. This board is wonderful for helping people connect!

In short- I would go back in a heartbeat.   If you have never been to the area- you really, really need to experience this countryside.

OK- let's see some pix:

We were able to catch the mass ascension of the balloon festival at dawn of our first day. No kidding, this was a cool experience and a great way to kick off the trip.

Valles CAldera off rt 4 through the Jemez mountains. This is  a gigantic volcanic crater- 180 square miles. It's a sea of golden grass with wooded hills that look like islands. Absolutely magical. The Los Alamos labs were tucked down into this walled area in the chance that something went "oops" when they were making the bomb. There'sa  herd of 1500 elk that live in the caldera. You could make an entire trip out of hiking here alone.

Taos Pueblo. The oldest of the 19 Pueblo tribes throughout this region. The heritage and endurance of this place was extremely moving.

The ruins of the chapel and ancient cemetery at Taos Pueblo- destroyed in 1847 by Anglos in a bitter reprisal

The aspens were at peak color, shimmering as they rustled in the light breeze.

Quite a surprise in Chama- a 1947 Indian with a Vincent engine!

The ancient Anasazi ruins of Chaco canyon. Phenomenal stonework dating back to 850-1100AD. You can't slip a knife between the stones.

The rim of Chaco is a massive wall of sandstone. The canyon walls fatigue and eventually fall off like glaciers meeting the ocean

Here we are in tiny Questa (I'm on the left)

Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Trip report New Mexico!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 05:55:03 PM »
Many thanks!
Wish I could copy that tour one day!
Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 06:07:51 PM »
This was my first tour on a bike. I found that people really seemed to open up when they see you're travelling on a bike. Great conversation starter (especially the triumphs- they seemed to attract people).

I am absolutely certain that the immensity and impact of the area would have been somewhat diminished had I not been on a motorcycle.  You are wrapped in the country.  I came away convinced of two things: 1) I want to come back here, and 2) If at all possible, I'm going to plan future trips on two wheels.
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Offline rtbickel

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 06:08:24 PM »
 I've done those roads several times, with the exception of Chaco canyon. There's always something new to see down the next turnoff.  When the weather is right, it's one of the best places in the counry.
2020 V85TT
2002 California Special Sport - The Black Widow
2014 California Touring - Stealth (Gone but not forgotten)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 06:08:24 PM »

Offline Bonafide Bob

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 06:14:43 PM »
Great area for riding, I was three years ago and planning to go there again in next May.
Bob

We have freedom of speech, as long as we don't say to much.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 06:25:54 PM »
great  place to visit and ride. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

canuck750

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 06:50:56 PM »
It is a beautiful state, Carlsbad Canyons, Roswell, White Sands to name a few more and the back country roads, especially on a dual sport are great! Glad you enjoyed it, now that you have toured on a bike the bug will have bit and many more adventures await.

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 07:05:47 PM »
Wow, you got some great photos!

I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed the trip. Travelling by motorcycle is really the best thing ever, and I want to keep going. Your description makes me want to leave tomorrow.

oldbike54

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 07:54:02 PM »
 WOW ! I've been in that part of NM several times , thanks for capturing the beauty and understanding why it is so important to many of us . Once again , WOW !

Oh , one helluva first MC tour , first of many we hope  :bike-037:

Dusty

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 09:10:02 PM »
This was my first tour on a bike. I found that people really seemed to open up when they see you're travelling on a bike. Great conversation starter (especially the triumphs- they seemed to attract people).

I am absolutely certain that the immensity and impact of the area would have been somewhat diminished had I not been on a motorcycle.  You are wrapped in the country.  I came away convinced of two things: 1) I want to come back here, and 2) If at all possible, I'm going to plan future trips on two wheels.

:thumb:

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 09:20:54 PM »

Here we are in tiny Questa (I'm on the left)

Did you eat here?  Mighty fine Green Chile Cheese Burger!   :food:

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2015, 09:21:53 PM »
Wow.   Been in that area several times.  Never on a bike (was in a small 4 wheeler RV).  I'm envious.
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Lcarlson

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2015, 09:52:35 PM »
Your trip sounds great. Next time, you might want to consider Utah. It's also spectacular.

lucydad

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2015, 07:39:22 AM »
Boat,

NM is indeed very, very special.  We may have crossed paths as I flew into ABQ and drove a white cager Ford econobox to and from Durango, CO. 

Did you ride the bikes into Chaco?  That can be a washed out, rutted up, nasty road.  Chaco is one of my favorite places on earth.  If you like Anasazi culture, check out the civilization outlier to the NE at Chimney Rock, CO. 

Great trip!  Thanks!

Bill Havins

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2015, 08:49:47 AM »
Jonathan,

Glad your trip was a pleasure.  Judy and I were there on the EV at the same time.  It was just a tad windy this year!  Glad you got to see the balloons go up.

I have always found the people of New Mexico to be very welcoming of motorcyclists.  IMHO, it is the most pleasant place in the country to ride and "absorb" the ambiance.  It doesn't matter if it is Chaco Canyon, one of the surviving pueblos, or a hole-in-the-wall restaurant that serves green chili - it is a great place to tour, experience, and relax.

Thanks for your report!

Bill

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • N 44° 01.233 W 069° 41.267 ~ Midcoast, Maine USA
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2015, 08:56:37 AM »

What a great adventure ride Jonathan...

Good stuff from which awesome memories are made.

Thanks,
Rob
Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Triumph T140V Bonneville
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

The Journey is the Reward

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here