Author Topic: Ride/sightseeing advice- Big Sky, MT  (Read 7137 times)

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Ride/sightseeing advice- Big Sky, MT
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2016, 01:26:15 PM »
Since good trip advice has been thrown out there.  I put my comments in.  Buffalo and/or Elk steaks.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2016, 02:55:01 PM »
Since good trip advice has been thrown out there.  I put my comments in.  Buffalo and/or Elk steaks.
:thumb: :thumb:

And...Huckleberry Milkshakes too!!   :grin: :grin:
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2016, 03:02:54 PM »
:thumb: :thumb:

And...Huckleberry Milkshakes too!!   :grin: :grin:

Oh man, the huckleberry's and cherries are great in Montana!

Be sure and meet up with Spuddy if you get near Helena-nice guy!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 03:05:41 PM by Guzzistajohn »
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Spaghetti

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2016, 06:05:53 PM »
Let me tell the tale of my unplanned visit to Big Sky, MT last August. We attended the Sturgis rally last August and since my new girlfriend had never seen Yellowstone and it had been 20 years since I had been there, we had made indefinite plans to visit the park after the rally.

So about a week ahead of our visit, from the laundromat in Sturgis I started to try and find lodging for a night or two around the park, preferably on the west side. The best option I came up with was a room for one night in Big Sky. I had never heard of Big Sky, but it sounded like a nice Western town.

We entered Yellowstone Park from the east gate near Cody, WY heading west around 11 am. We made it to Old Faithful by about 3 or 4 and stayed just long enough to see it erupt once. By this time of day we had been on the bike behind slow tourist for too long. We both were growing a bit grumpy. Firing up the comfortable Trophy 1200 that was our mount, we headed for the west gate to exit the park at the town of West Yellowstone, from there all we had to do was turn right and toddle towards Big Sky.

Stopping in a bar for a couple of sodas and a basket of popcorn to tide us over till dinner, the time now being about 6 pm, I sat down to consult the magic smart phone for a distance check to Big Sky. 48 miles, I believe was the answer. W.T.H.? I am way to tired and grumpy to do another 50 miles this evening, but I had already put $170 toward a nonrefundable room in Big Sky, so we grudgingly climb back on our steed to grind out another hour of passing miles before we can enjoy the evening's repast. 

I distinctly remember droning along at 60 mph and noting how the road kind of reminded me of an Alaskan highway by the way the trees were clear cut way back from each side of the highway. I assume to help with wildlife not getting too close to the pavement unseen. I look in my mirror and I see an 18 wheeler coming on strong. Not only is he passing the car behind me by some distance, it is obvious he means to overtake me also in one fell swoop! What the......? What does he think......? Doesn't he know........?

After this trucker passes me with all his law breaking bravado on display, something stirs me from my befuddled fog as he continues on away at a spirited pace. I suddenly wake up to my surroundings. I am on a slight downhill grade with high speed sweepers and beautiful mountains on both sides! My senses are now fully awake and I rolled the throttle on for a spirited slalom course all the way into Big Sky!  :bike-037:

The hotel was wonderful. Big Sky is a beautiful little town and there were several nice restaurants.

Then, to make this trip even more wonderful, we got up the next morning to continue north and it was about another 40 or 50 miles north to Missoula, MT. Most all of it just as high speed with delicious sweepers as the previous day's miles.

Here is a 5 minute video of route 191 (not mine) ;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3mLb0POaVo

In summary, was this the greatest road ever? Nah, but is a a scenic hoot to ride. I did it at about 70 mph after a long, tiring day. It could be ridden a LOT faster though. This was a pleasant surprise on my trip. If I ever go back to the area, I will be sure to take this road to Big Sky for a visit.

Chief Joesph Scenic Byway is gorgeous, as is Beartooth pass, but those are several hours distant from Big Sky.

Yellowstone is beautiful, but not worth trying to take a bike there. Just rent a Buick for Yellowstone. The speed limits are low and there are lot of slow moving things on the roads there. Bison, tourist, Buicks........

Spag.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2016, 06:05:53 PM »

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2016, 08:06:23 PM »
Spag- thanks for the insight. I definitely don't want to be doing 20mph behind a train of gawkers. When I was in New Mexico- the roads were really clear.  Beartooth sounds wonderful- but will it be the same slow crawl in mid June?

Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2016, 08:40:05 PM »
Beartooth sounds wonderful- but will it be the same slow crawl in mid June?

Whenever I was there, there is traffic, but not a parade. Never a problem. Snow would be more of a concern.
Now Rocky Mountain National Park, out of Estes Colorado, that can be a parade.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2016, 06:04:42 AM »
This is the Montana side of the pass.  You will not be riding very fast.

You will not make any time in the park either.  The speed limit is 45 mph.

I had the Lario on Beartooth.. not riding fast, but passed everyone on the road.  :smiley: Mostly just cruisers putting along. Traffic wasn't an issue, but that was in July. There was still snow in July, but the road was fine. I would think that Going to the sun would be closed in June, cross that one off your list.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2016, 08:04:54 AM »
Hopefully forest fires won't be an issue this year. The smoke and fires closed Going to the Sun last July into August and greatly limited the view from central Wyoming and Montana all the way west. You could barely see across the peaks around Beartooth. I skipped taking pictures during our time there as there was little to see.

Pete
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 09:17:59 AM by PeteS »

Spaghetti

« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2016, 08:35:42 PM »
No problem on the insight, Boatdetective. Thanks for reading my ramblings. Having just been out there in August, I was excited to add my $0.02.

Big Sky is a awesome little resort town that reeks of $$$$$, in a good way. I think all of the roads around there should make for nice scenic riding.

You could squeeze in a loop ride through Yellowstone if you want to see the park, but I would check out the mountain roads in Idaho & Montana. It all depends on how much seat time you can commit to the area for your rides. I just know I was shocked when I thought that I could shoot through Yellowstone park's south loop in an hour or two because it looked like 50 miles on a map and it took more like 4 hours from the east gate to the west gate.

If you left Big Sky in the morning, you could probably go in Yellowstone's North gate and out the West gate back to big Sky in one good day.

It is beautiful out there. Much more scenic than my normal Illinois & Iowa rides on the weekends.

- Spag

Offline JoeW

• Gaggle Hero
    • The Guzzi Doctor
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2016, 10:44:38 AM »
In 2012, we rented a house in Glacier Nat. Park. on the north fork of the Flathead river near the town of Polebridge. Didn't do any motorcycling but, had an amazing time. Did hit the Going to The Sun highway, my daughter said it felt like Disney Land compared to where we were staying. I had heard Yellowstone is very crowded during the summer so, we avoided it.
Joe Walano

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here