Author Topic: Help show me the error of my ways...  (Read 1932 times)

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
Help show me the error of my ways...
« on: August 05, 2017, 09:13:07 PM »
I'm installing a power outlet on the handlebars. I am using the fused battery tender pigtail as my source of power.  This way, I am minimizing the wires going to the battery terminals. In the off season, unplug the outlet and plug in the tender.   I led the wires forward up to the outlet- contacts good. 12.66VDC at the contacts. Plugged in the outlet. Then plugged a USB adapter into the outlet. Plugged a fuse in the system and...the outlet began to smoke ?!?   I used this USB thingamajig on a recent roadtrip in Utah without issue.

Anything really simple and stupid that I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Online RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
Re: Help show me the error of my ways...
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 09:26:57 PM »

If you let the smoke out, your screwed.    If there was smoke something has a direct short. I suspect usb thingy or polarity is incorrect.

Paul B. :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 09:30:36 PM »
You are not supposed to let the smoke out, now it won't work. 

And it didn't blow the fuse? Sorry, I have none of that on my bikes, so I can't help.

Beat me to it
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 09:55:39 PM »
First, what they said about the smoke.   :grin:

Then, I suspect the usb thingy is shorted.  When you plug it in you bypass the load and run hot straight to ground.  I've fried a handful of those cig lighter plug-in types.  They're cheap and worth it.  It should have blown a fuse. 

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 09:55:39 PM »

Offline KiwiKev

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 10:13:45 PM »
Yep they are pretty cr*p devices mostly. Check polarity as stated and try another one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 12:20:29 AM »
The fused lead at the battery end should go to the positive terminal. The other lead to the negative. If you use an SAE plug at the top end, you can get all sorts of adapters to fit. I have an idea that the maximum load on the appliance that you will use will determine the gauge of wire & size of fuse to use. It seems that USBs for phones computers might need an internal choke (limited to 1 or 2 amps) depending on the device. Heated liners might take around 30 amps. Cigarette lighter sockets are known to often be temperamental & unreliable. The BMW/DIN type sockets are more robust. Otherwise, a USB to SAE adapter, plus your battery tender plug to SAE adapter should cover both uses. (If wired and fused correctly). Note that you can get battery tenders that are way too overpowered for motorcycles (most of them). Something that works on a marine diesel is going to start things smoking. Many put out 2.5 to 5 volts; my battery charger does it with 0.8 millivolts (I think it says). Even simple electrickery is fraught with false leads (sic).
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline Chesterfield

• Hatchling
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 03:32:01 AM »
If you plug  another pigtail into the pigtail coming off the battery, the polarity will be reversed at the end of the one you plugged in

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2017, 06:53:57 AM »
If you plug  another pigtail into the pigtail coming off the battery, the polarity will be reversed at the end of the one you plugged in
:thumb:
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2017, 07:11:47 AM »
I'm with others on the polarity reversal idea.

Please disregard if I'm telling you something you already know. On an SAE plug, 2 pin, they usually come with a plug and a loop of wire you cut in the middle. Generally white and red but I have seen other colors used with the red. Anyway, once the wire is cut in the middle, the red lead that is covered when unplugged ought to go toward the battery so that when unplugged, it is less likely to short against something it touched by accident. A test light or volt meter can verify the hot lead coming off the battery. I mention this because I generally go to the parts store and buy 3 or four of these plugs and have then hanging on the garage wall for when I need them. I even make up Y plugs to power multiple things without connecting more wires to the battery. Once wrapped in electrical tape, you don't always know which side of the feed is hot, especially if you were not the one to install it in the first place. This is where the meter or test light comes in. It can be easy to get things flopped around and then you have power on what you thought was ground. The plug headed toward the device that is exposed until plugged in ought to be the hot lead.

As for the smoke, you may have already fried the charging plug beyond repair since the fuse didn't go. You may need to get a replacement for that and begin again.

John Henry
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 07:13:44 AM by Zoom Zoom »

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2017, 07:23:56 AM »

best free image hosting site

If you look just to the right of the handlebar clamp, you can see what I am using. It has both a 12 volt round plug and a 5 volt USB plug contained under weather proof boots. IIRC, it was 20 or 25 bucks. I have used the crap out of it and am very glad I got it. Being unswitched, I have power whenever I need it without having to turn on the key.

John Henry

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2017, 07:35:17 AM »
I worked through it and my findings are: yes, I'm an idiot. When I started the project, I even noted the problem wth the polarity flipping at the plug. I even told myself to meter the ends before I hooked up the inlet- and didn't listen to myself. There's a lesson here about remaining focused when playing with 'tricity....
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2017, 07:58:13 AM »
Ah, don't beat yourself up too bad. All things considered, a cheap lesson.

Imagine me catching a bike on fire when trying to start it with starting fluid. Thankfully, nothing that was too bad in the end but I gained a very real understanding of what a wasted spark ignition system is doing. :shocked: Now THAT was a lesson I don't need to learn twice!

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2017, 08:02:31 AM »
ROFLMAO.

Yep, first time I wired up one of the SAE plugs I thought to myself, 'I am going to screw this up one of these days.'  I did.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here