Author Topic: Trip ideas  (Read 6929 times)

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Trip ideas
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2019, 03:27:07 PM »
Well, no ones said great bend down in Texas, never been there but no one's mentioned it. Saw some cool picks of it on the Motoventures site.
 <shrug>

Thanks. Too far for me to go to one place. Looking at mid August, I'm thinking so far about Colorado, Wyoming, Montana.. subject to change of course.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 03:33:57 PM by Chuck in Indiana »
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2019, 03:50:16 PM »
Thanks. Too far for me to go to one place. Looking at mid August, I'm thinking so far about Colorado, Wyoming, Montana.. subject to change of course.  :smiley:

Everywhere else has been mentioned someone had to do it :wink:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

oldbike54

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2019, 04:45:49 PM »
 Great Bend is in Kansas about 200 miles North and East from Cedar Vale , Big Bend is in South Texas , although both are named after a directional change in a river course  :laugh: Just in case anyone goes looking for Great Bend  :shocked:

Dusty

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2019, 04:50:47 PM »
We always plan three different destinations for our vacations - because the weather doesn't always cooperate.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2019, 04:50:47 PM »

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2019, 04:58:27 PM »
Ever go South all the way to Key West?
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
  • Daytona, Stelvio [Kansas]
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2019, 05:24:17 PM »
I've been everywhere, man

Chuck,

You might, then, consider looking at a trip where the route is the thing; not the end-points.  Follow the two Lewis/Clark expedition routes--at least as far as the mid-Rocky Mountains.  Follow the routes of some of the old pre-number, but, named highways (the Lincoln is perhaps the most famous, but there are many others).  Follow the routes of some of the earliest long-distance railroads (I've done this, and it's pretty interesting). Follow the route of the Nez Perce running-battle with the Army from Oregon to Montana.

The thing is, when you follow a route that is defined by something other than how the highways look today, you'll come across all sort of interesting places, and you'll begin to see the lay-of-the-land differently than just a scaled-up road map--just as you do when you fly  VFR and navigate by picking out the grain elevators.

A few years back, I followed the full route of the 1870 (now extinct) Kansas-Pacific Railroad trying to find all the old water stops.  You've got lots of options with this approach, although you'll be doing some pre-research before starting out.

Offline john fish

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2019, 05:56:53 PM »
British Columbia is the prettiest riding I've done.    Banff, Jasper, etc.  Just get out into the Canadian Rockies and enjoy.

He lost the run of himself.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2019, 06:21:25 PM »
Great Bend is in Kansas about 200 miles North and East from Cedar Vale , Big Bend is in South Texas , although both are named after a directional change in a river course  :laugh: Just in case anyone goes looking for Great Bend  :shocked:

Dusty

Yeah, I was looking for Great bend, and decided he must have thought Big bend after not finding it.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2019, 06:24:39 PM »
Ever go South all the way to Key West?

Yep, although it's not much of a motorcycle trip, IMHO.  :smiley:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2019, 06:27:51 PM »

Dusty

I had no idea what the hell I was saying as usual 😀😀
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 06:30:13 PM by Guzzistajohn »

oldbike54

« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2019, 06:32:33 PM »
 It's OK Race Bacon , I speak hillbilly   :laugh:

Dusty

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2019, 06:35:06 PM »
Chuck,

You might, then, consider looking at a trip where the route is the thing; not the end-points.  Follow the two Lewis/Clark expedition routes--at least as far as the mid-Rocky Mountains.  Follow the routes of some of the old pre-number, but, named highways (the Lincoln is perhaps the most famous, but there are many others).  Follow the routes of some of the earliest long-distance railroads (I've done this, and it's pretty interesting). Follow the route of the Nez Perce running-battle with the Army from Oregon to Montana.

The thing is, when you follow a route that is defined by something other than how the highways look today, you'll come across all sort of interesting places, and you'll begin to see the lay-of-the-land differently than just a scaled-up road map--just as you do when you fly  VFR and navigate by picking out the grain elevators.

A few years back, I followed the full route of the 1870 (now extinct) Kansas-Pacific Railroad trying to find all the old water stops.  You've got lots of options with this approach, although you'll be doing some pre-research before starting out.

Thanks, Daniel.. Dorcia and I have done the Lincoln, and the old routes of 66 from end to end. That kind of thing is rewarding, of course, but the Kid and I are looking for scenery and twisties. I hear you about the pre research.  :grin: I spent much of one winter finding the old alignments of Rt66.  66 is pretty easy by comparison.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
  • Daytona, Stelvio [Kansas]
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2019, 06:41:46 PM »
the Kid and I are looking for scenery and twisties.

Ah.  Then aim for the Bighorn Mountains in Wyoming.  I think they're my favorite "little" range (you've only got a week).  There are three paved crossings--each different, and each worthwhile.

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2019, 07:05:54 PM »
Ah.  Then aim for the Bighorn Mountains in Wyoming.  I think they're my favorite "little" range (you've only got a week).  There are three paved crossings--each different, and each worthwhile.
Daniel, my riding buddy, Tom, and I took one of these routes in 2006 on our Bonnevilles (early June.) heading back East.  Fun until we hit snow.  Fortunately, it didn't stick to the roads, only to the grass.  Unfortunately, my rainsuit sprung a leak, and by the time we got out of the Bighorns into Gillette Buffalo, WY.  I was shaking uncontrollably.  A local gas station owner got us inside, and the owner took Tom to a sporting goods store where he was able to pick up a set of waterproof pants for me.  All was good after that!  I warmed up, and was ready to ride.  Next stop .... Spearfish SD.

Bob

Fond memories of the Yellowstone Park Inn - 2006
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 09:06:31 PM by ohiorider »
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2019, 09:39:11 PM »
August?  North or elevation or both.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2019, 06:33:06 AM »
It's OK Race Bacon , I speak hillbilly   :laugh:

Dusty

You da man dusty “snopes” turner

oldbike54

« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2019, 06:45:54 AM »
You da man dusty “snopes” turner

Whu thank you .

Dusty

Offline blackbuell

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waitin' on the ghost of Tom Joad
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2019, 07:19:12 AM »
Chuck,

By "a week" I assume you mean 9 days at the most; 5 week days bracketed by two weekends. That's not ample time to ride to Cody and hit the Beartooth Highway, unless you put in mega-miles every day. I am planning a similar trip for June (will also include ride over Lolo Pass and through the Sawtooth Mountains); expect it to take 2 full weeks. If you were to trailer the bikes to eastern WY, and ride from there, you would have 4-5 days to explore the state and make through northern Yellowstone and over Beartooth Pass; should be enough time to ride plenty of twisty roads and enjoy the sights.

Nothing wrong with a repeat down south, especially if you were to include northern Georgia; Two Wheels of Suches is a great place stay for a few days while checking out the incredible roads in the north Georgia mountains.

Keep us posted on your plans.

Jon
Bikes: 2007 Norge, YAM RD250, 2017 Indian Scout. 2021 V7 850 Special

I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonopah

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2019, 08:18:54 AM »

I love the Bighorns too. Last night, when I was thinking about it a bit, I thought:
Load the bikes on the trailer at his place in Lake Geneva. Saturday morning COD, blast off for Spearfish. 13 hours, easy with 2 drivers. Camp at Spearfish right at the end of Spearfish canyon, and ride the Black hills for 2 days. Tuesday morning, head out to Cody on the bikes via the northern route through the Bighorns, maybe stop at Medicine wheel, to Cody. Either camp or motel it.  Wednesday, do the Buffalo Bill museum. Depending on how long we stay there.. it could take most of the day.. ride locally. Chief Joseph might not be out of the question Wednesday. Thursday, Beartooth to Red Lodge and back to Yellowstone.. depending on timing, maybe some of Yellowstone back to Cody. Friday, head back to Spearfish via the South end of the Bighorns. That would give 2 days to trailer home.
Needless to say, more time would be better.. but *at least* I could show him some of my very favorite rides and places.  :thumb:
All subject to review, of course.  :smiley:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Online Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2019, 10:03:46 AM »
:shocked: That's thinking out of the box. Hmmmm. Probably not, but.. I will look into it. Thanks!

Non-stop overnight flights from Chicago to Munich and Milan, don’t know about Innsbruck but I mentioned it because of the good bike rental option in Landeck.  In Milan Mototouring was pretty good for rental bikes when I used them.  Munich is super easy, with the train from the airport taking you to several bike rental options in the city, and the routes south to the Dolomites and Alps all being pretty straightforward.

If your objective is twisty roads and scenery, the main issue with riding a week in the Alps is that once you get home and somebody recommends a really good ride, after you try it you think you must’ve missed the best part somehow  :wink: The best roads & riding you’ve been doing in California, all combined, is probably less than a few percent of what is available in the Alps.  The main feature of US riding by comparison is being able to ride places where there are no people (very difficult in Europe) and that has its own important appeal, and variety is the spice of life,but the thing with people in the mountains is that they built roads, and they also learned to prepare food well...

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2019, 10:14:19 AM »
Non-stop overnight flights from Chicago to Munich and Milan, don’t know about Innsbruck but I mentioned it because of the good bike rental option in Landeck.  In Milan Mototouring was pretty good for rental bikes when I used them.  Munich is super easy, with the train from the airport taking you to several bike rental options in the city, and the routes south to the Dolomites and Alps all being pretty straightforward.

If your objective is twisty roads and scenery, the main issue with riding a week in the Alps is that once you get home and somebody recommends a really good ride, after you try it you think you must’ve missed the best part somehow  :wink: The best roads & riding you’ve been doing in California, all combined, is probably less than a few percent of what is available in the Alps.  The main feature of US riding by comparison is being able to ride places where there are no people (very difficult in Europe) and that has its own important appeal, and variety is the spice of life,but the thing with people in the mountains is that they built roads, and they also learned to prepare food well...

I truly appreciate what you are saying.. but.. it is *very* expensive to get there and back. I crossed it off the list after researching flights out of Chicago. At that point, I didn't look in to what it would cost to rent, stay, etc.
We could go out West on the cheap. (Guzzi content)  :smiley:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Online Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2019, 10:23:44 AM »
Airline tickets are often available for less you might have seen.

Idealo.de
ABC travel

We just bought a ticket for €700.

Hotels are substantially cheaper than the US when you factor in food and buy half board.  The *real* expense is the bike rental, and that I see as an issue for anybody making one trip.  I bought a local bike for that reason years ago.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 10:26:11 AM by Tusayan »

Offline chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2019, 11:48:34 AM »
Without taking into account the 18 hr transport, Nova Scotia/Cabot trail...probably too far?

(See what I did there? Tell a guzzi rider it’s too far, and they’ll start to make plans...😀)

It might be too....ummm pleasant? for a sport bike tour
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2019, 11:59:14 AM »
Without taking into account the 18 hr transport, Nova Scotia/Cabot trail...probably too far?

(See what I did there? Tell a guzzi rider it’s too far, and they’ll start to make plans...😀)

It might be too....ummm pleasant? for a sport bike tour

The Kid and I have been there.  :grin: Certainly a memorable trip.  :thumb:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here