Author Topic: Wild Geese - NGC  (Read 2691 times)

Offline wrbix

• Gaggle Hero
Wild Geese - NGC
« on: May 02, 2015, 12:11:22 PM »

Second year in a row for Canada Goose pair to nest and raise goslings on the pond in front of our house.
In March of this year they arrived with their five offspring from last year in tow and over the subsequent few weeks shuttled them off elsewhere, built a nest below a big jack pine next to the pond and then she proceeded to sit for the next 29 days. Six goslings this year hatched on Wednesday, started swimming Thursday, already in their growth spurt  ;-T
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 12:34:50 PM by wrbix »
Bill in VA, sometimes FL

"Eschew aphorism"

LeMans IV - "Giulia"
Lario - "Giulietta"
V50III cafe'd - "Leggera"
‘77 Convert - “Sofia”
BMW airheads: R100RS, R100CS, R100GS, R100RT, R60/2 sidecar rig
Classic Mini
‘60 Austin Healey Sprite
Caterham Super Seven Sprint
‘13 Audi TTRS
Grumman AA5B (sold)

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Wild Geese - NGC
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 12:48:39 PM »
Funny you should mention that... We've got the same thing in our backyard/lake this year.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 02:46:11 PM »
Same here, except it's the front yard and I have no pics.

We had greater and lesser Canadas, Brant, white faced, and snow geese on the lake yesterday along with white swans and several ducky marquees.  The eagles are doing flyovers waiting for snacks to hatch. 

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 02:59:47 PM »
Where I live in RI, Canada geese stay year round and are as common as pigeons, but I still think they're beautiful.  Last year there was one pair that "owned" a persistent water puddle in a parking lot next to a Starbucks.  Between the geese and the wild turkeys (successfully re-introduced into the state about 30 years ago), you have to be very alert on the bike.  Last year I met a guy who swerved to try to avoid a bunch of turkeys on Interstate 395 (next door in CT), went down, and was still walking with a cane 5 months later.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 02:59:47 PM »

Offline guzzitime

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 03:47:54 PM »
Be   verrrry careful;  They have very bad manners whilst raising goslings.

Offline mgfan

• Gosling
  • Escaping the "home"
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 04:43:14 PM »
They'll keep coming back and pretty soon you have to wear gum boots to get to the shore.   :BEER:
70 Ambassador, 74 Eldorado,  76 I-Convert, 71 Police Ambassador, 86 Califonia II, 90 California III, 03 Stone, 07 Norge

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 05:38:26 PM »
pure nuisance around here, my Dad has to fence off the lake to keep them away once they have the babies..

Walking my dog the other day we got buzzed by a low fly over headed to the pond, Pink thought she could get one right out of the air but instead plunged right into the muddiest part and came out black. and smelly.

she would stop if I'd have yelled but I didn't react in time..
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 05:48:59 PM »
I dropped a goose in a diked estuary one day.  Darn thing was coming right at me, straight and level, about shoulder height.  It was self-defense, I tell ya.  . . 

Anyway, my springer launched into the river for his retrieve and met about 12# of pissed-off goose.  I'd knocked it down but I was loaded for Teal and didn't address the problem with enough force.  The goose sat on the dog and sank it.  I couldn't shoot it off for fear of also getting the dog, so I shucked my hip waders and dove in to rescue it. 

The goose was plenty for the dog and me, too -- in his element and used to surviving.  I managed to knock it off of Snapper (short for Doggerel T. Schnauzer Deluxe), but it wasn't about to go away until it had punished me for shooting it.  We went a round or two while Snapper made for the beach.  I found some bottom to stand on finally, and dispatched the still-attacking bird with my .44.

Good tasting bird, but Snapper wouldn't ever bring me back another.  He'd give me that "You're kidding, right?" look whenever I splashed one.

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2015, 06:43:47 PM »
Three goslings last year, but this year only one...

"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 10:33:04 AM »
And here, even on this forum... (especially on this forum?) I jumped initially to this being a movie appreciation thread from the thread title.

Cheezed out to be sure but a damn cool movie none the less for some, back in the day.

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here