Author Topic: Suggestions for a trip . OP lost it , we found it .  (Read 4764 times)

Offline nwguy

• Gosling
    • Jim Gallant's home page
Suggestions for a trip . OP lost it , we found it .
« on: April 26, 2021, 08:34:27 PM »
I live near Seattle and need to visit my Dad who lives in Maine. I'm retired and have an understanding wife who's fine with me being gone for a couple of months. Soooo, I've decided to go visit him on my 08 Norge. For decades I've wanted to ride in the Ozarks and the Appalachians. I have a son in Salt Lake and one in Boulder, CO. My tentative route is as follows:

Leave Poulsbo, WA (my town)
South to eastern Oregon where I've ridden a lot
South to Winnemucca, NV and east to Salt Lake (disc golf in Elko, collect some salt for Dad)
On to Boulder, CO, maybe through Flaming Gorge park
South to northern New Mexico to do a loop around Taos, Los Alamos and Santa Fe
East to the Ozarks for 2+ days of riding there (Pig Trail and The Serpent)
East to the Carolinas to ride the Tail of the Dragon, Cherokee Hwy and others
Zig zag north through the Appalachians to visit a friend in Reston, VA
North to Main through Amish country, Delaware Water Gap
Visit a friend in Orange, MA
North through the White Mountains to Rangeley, ME for a week stay with my Dad
West and south through NY, PA and OH (Buffalo wings, Corning museum of glass?)
North through MI's upper penninsula (Picture rocks?)
Down through Wisconson and over to SD (Badlands, Burn Basin, Black hills, Custer State Park)
Wyoming (Devil's tower, ride routes 14, 14a, 296 and 212
Home again

This site has lots of interesting places to go:
https://www.atlasobscura.com/things-to-do/united-states/natural-wonders

Any suggestions for particularly twisted roads, epic day hikes, interesting geological features, wonders of the world, factory tours, great eats, etc? I'll be camping as much as possible.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 09:33:16 PM by oldbike54 »
Current:  08 Norge, 06 Suzuki Burgman, 06 Yamaha Morphous

Past:  3 Buell Lightnings, 02 BMW R1150RS
05 Ducati Multistrada, First gen Kawasaki Concours, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic, 02 Honda ST110, Aprilia Falco, Suzuki VX800, Yamaha Radian, Suzuki TS185, Yamaha RD400

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Suggestions for a trip
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 08:36:24 PM »
great trip.  Must be a good 3-4 weeks plus?
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 08:45:59 PM »
Let me be the first but hopefully not only Guzzi mate to offer assistance on your trip--I live on the coast of NH and can help out while you're in NH and Maine.

When are you leaving? If soon enough, you could make the MGNOC rally in Keene, NH.
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 08:54:17 PM »
Work at stop at Hamlin Cycles in CT for routine service if needed.  The Corning museum is fabulous as is the Glen Curtiss Museum not far from there.
I'm in Buffalo and can show you Niagara Falls.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 08:54:17 PM »

Online Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 08:56:14 PM »
Dingess Tunnel.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

oldbike54

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2021, 09:04:04 PM »
 When are you starting out ? Cedar Vale is in the middle of your route .

Dusty

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2021, 09:24:51 PM »
I would suggest searching out diners along the way.  Also, pick an interesting route each day rather than pick a destination in the morning and try to get there by nightfall. I wore myself out trying to ride 500+ mile days to get to campgrounds each night when I rode CC.  Youth is so wasted on the young.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2021, 09:50:52 PM »
Let me be the first but hopefully not only Guzzi mate to offer assistance on your trip--I

Let me be the second. I'm in Santa Fe.

Rich A

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2021, 12:56:03 AM »
Norge’s are no good for touring... :evil:

bobrebos

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2021, 03:58:11 AM »
If you need anything, place to stay, tools whatever Im 30 miles east of the  Chattanooga Tn area if you are coming through and need anything.  Have a good trip

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2021, 04:10:15 AM »
Work at stop at Hamlin Cycles in CT for routine service if needed.  The Corning museum is fabulous as is the Glen Curtiss Museum not far from there.
I'm in Buffalo and can show you Niagara Falls.

After you leave Hamlin Cycles, head north in eastern NY up the Husdon Valley, and western Berkshires of Mass..  MANY great roads, and some nice historic small towns.
Paul B

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2021, 07:27:59 AM »
Sounds great, stick to Lake Superior instead of down Wisconsin then take mn210 over to the Dakota's or (Hwy 2 can go all the way west along the Canadian border if you want).
Of course if you stay in northern Minnesota you'll miss the Spam museum :smiley:
I'm in a Minneapolis if you need help.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2021, 08:02:35 AM »
Touch base with me when the departure time draws near as I may be able to offer support for the NC part of your adventure.

Offline Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2021, 08:45:54 AM »
Don’t listen to that foto Guzzi guy.Make you way from the pictured rocks to Spring Green ,best roads in Midwest,stay at my place.

Offline jrt

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2021, 08:50:59 AM »
I'm in the St. Louis area.

Harpers is just north of Kansas City- if you need anything, they are great.
J
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2021, 09:04:06 AM »
Don’t listen to that foto Guzzi guy.Make you way from the pictured rocks to Spring Green ,best roads in Midwest,stay at my place.
ok, then you can see the Spam museum after that. Austin, Mn.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Online Rebochi

• Hatchling
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2021, 09:47:12 AM »
 From Seattle to Salt Lake I would go from Seattle to Lewiston Idaho then Lewiston to Lolo MT. Then south  through the Bitter root valley to Challis Idaho, then Stanley , at Stanley you can head to Boise or to Idaho Falls.  both routes have great scenery. twisty roads and good accommodations. Going from Winnemucca to anywhere is a boring trip and wasted opportunity for some great riding.

1200 GS
1200 Sport
1100 Griso
2003 Rosso Corsa
Ducati Multistrada
Indian FTR 1200

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2021, 09:58:10 AM »
Sounds like a super trip. If anything comes up in WNC, I am here to help. I've got a nice little guest suite in the basement if you need a garage and a place to crash for a night in the Asheville area
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2021, 01:37:56 PM »
From Seattle to Salt Lake I would go from Seattle to Lewiston Idaho then Lewiston to Lolo MT. Then south  through the Bitter root valley to Challis Idaho, then Stanley , at Stanley you can head to Boise or to Idaho Falls.  both routes have great scenery. twisty roads and good accommodations. Going from Winnemucca to anywhere is a boring trip and wasted opportunity for some great riding.

100%!  Moving a bit farther east, hitting the Chief Joseph Scenic byway and the Beartooth would be a nice addition to running the Lewis & Clark trail in Idaho as mentioned above with a nice overnight in Cody...plenty to do there too!

Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2021, 02:52:34 PM »
Watkins Glenn if you're headed that way.

Live in Basking Ridge, NJ just off rt 287 if your drift further east. Working from home these days so there's a hot shower and tools available if needed. PM me if you want my contact info.
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline nwguy

• Gosling
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2021, 05:00:58 PM »
Wow, thank you all for the offers of support, etc. I'm pretty sure I'll be in touch with some of you. May post pictures here from time to time during the trip. If not then, afterwards. I plan on leaving this coming Monday. Have my second - shot on Saturday and expect I'll need a day to recover. I have to be home by about the 25th of June, so I'll have 6 or 7 weeks to do this. I've driven most good roads multiple times west of Helena, MT and north of Fresno, CA. Am hoping to dwell on new places rather than old, such as the Ozarks, Appalachians, New England, South Dakota and certain roads in northern Wyoming. Some prior trip reports here:

http://nwguy.fun/mc/index.html

I'll have to play it by ear with the MGNOC rally in Keene, NH. That'd be a great stop though. I've printed out a map and list of all the guzzi dealers around the US. I expect I'll need a rear tire change (maybe both tires) and an oil change at some point. I'm definitely going to try to not be in a hurry, and it'll be more about the routes than any destination. So far, the long days I've planned are around 425 miles. When motel-ing it, my normal practice is to connect all the twisty roads I can and end up in whatever town is convenient, hopefully with a restaurant that has prime rib within walking distance of my motel. Will be camping most nights on this trip though. Any suggestions on diners would be great. I've never had chicken and waffles but spent many years in VA before moving west and have had collard greens and catfish, blue crab sandwiches, stuffed shrimp, lots of good BBQ. Definitely will be doing Chief Joseph Scenic byway and the Beartooth Hwy on the way back, possibly multiple times.

05 Ducati Multistrada, First gen Kawasaki Concours, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic, 02 Honda ST110, Aprilia Falco, Suzuki VX800, Yamaha Radian, Suzuki TS185, Yamaha RD400

Offline Guzzidad

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2021, 06:00:08 PM »
   I can't offer any help. I'm in FL, way out of your planned routes. But I would suggest you carry a spare alternator belt. Might save a couple of days waiting for shipping, or avoiding over-night charges.

Offline Ridgerider

• New Egg
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2021, 07:25:50 PM »
Sounds like an awesome trip.  If you stop at Hamlin's in Bethel, CT for some maintence, you're welcome to a meal and a bedwith me.  I'm only 11 miles from Hamlin's.

Offline leroysch

• Gosling
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2021, 07:58:09 PM »
Don't forego the Badlands. Awesome.
Seriously consider Monument Valley. Awesome^2.
'88 FLST
'95 Ducati 916
'04 V11 LeMans
'06 FLHX
'09 Buell 1125R
'17 BMW R Nine T
'19 H2 SX SE+
'22 Pan America

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2021, 08:23:01 PM »
Between Salt Lake City and Boulder, CO try to ride through Rocky Mountain National Park. You can claim riding the highest elevation paved road in continental US. It drops you out in Estes Park for a nice meal if the timing is right. There are many great ways over the Rockies, but the National Park is special.
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

GeorgiaGuzzi

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2021, 11:26:46 PM »
John fish in PA seems like a cool cat. I’d pm him for advice on Amish country in PA. Try to swing thru Pottsville PA to tour the yuengling brewery. Back in the day their tours were awesome. Been 20 years tho.

Dale’s wheels thru time is a cool museum in Maggie Valley NC if it’s reopened. The proprietor passed away and I don’t know what the families plans are.

I’m 45 minutes west of Atlanta. I have a trailer and am off on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. If you’re passing thru I might ride a few miles with ya. Two Wheels Only in Suches GA is a motorcycle lodge/campground that is a nice place. Asheville NC is awesome. Lots of great food, music and lodging. And close to the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Have fun holler if you need anything.

Offline nwguy

• Gosling
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2021, 06:58:45 PM »
On the road now in Salt Lake City at my son's place. Leave tomorrow for CO, NM then OK. Bike is running great, though my back tire isn't as round as it was. Should wear out the sides some in the next few days. Been keeping it under 85 mph. Don't want to stay much above 4k rpm. Pics below show a curvy roads near Shaniko, OR, my camp by the John Day River, the Perrine Bridge in ID, the Morton Salt facility in UT and my son on a hike overlooking SLC.

Online Dharma Bum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2021, 09:26:05 PM »
PM me if you're near Colorado Springs and need anything.

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2021, 09:49:23 PM »
Great pictures.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2021, 06:42:30 AM »
From the Danbury/Bethel/Hamlin Cycle area going north

Rt22 is a cool road. Starts in the congestion of I-84/danbury area. Slowly drops the mini malls, traffic and runs in the Hudson Valley straight north all the way to Burlington Vt. At a few places you get views of both the Adirondac Mtns to the northwest and the Green Mtns of Vermont. Long open sweepers running in the valley w hills to the right and left.

The one great ride id suggest for Vermont...there is the Vt Gap Ride...Appalachian, Lincoln, etc.. a guy routed it so you spend 1/2 the day going one way thru all five, make a turn and spend the rest of the day doing it all over again in the opposite direction. The gaps are distinctly different in each direction due to topography. 250 miles but it’ll take 8-10 hours...some short gravel stretches no problem.

Here is one version and a good resource

https://www.newenglandriders.org/route/stowe-vermont-gaps-ride/

That’s my one hat tip for the Northeast

From Burlington i love hugging the canada border on the way east.

My Rangley Maine story....after being accosted by 3 zillion loons trying to mate all night long on Rangely Lake...woke the whole state park up...

I was up and rolling at a crisp 6am. Walking into the grocery store (the Rangley grocery store has a million dollar view of the lake btw) 3 different people asked, seeing  my bike gear, “which way you going?”  I was headed towards Errol.

“WATCH OUT FOR THE MOOSE!!”  One guy thought I’d be dead for sure...sober morning folk freaked i was headed that way. There had been a constant stream of ambulance runs that summer

Freaked me enough to stay 5 below the limit. Sure enough a moose the size of a garage door scared the bejeezzus out of me. These were not Bullwinkles.

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 06:49:56 AM by chuck peterson »
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here