Author Topic: Men’s health message  (Read 3071 times)

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
Men’s health message
« on: March 03, 2023, 08:07:02 PM »
I am sharing a positive message regarding prostate cancer as I lie in bed 24 hours post op having my prostate surgically removed.
The message is simple: get a PSA blood test annually to detect if there is a likelihood of cancer. Because my cancer was detected after a quick rise in the PSA score I am expecting a full recovery and free of cancer.
Should you find yourself in these circumstances understand that if detected early the 10 year survival rates are close to 95%.
Secondly, if you are to have a prostate biopsy ask for a MRI fusion assisted biopsy, this new technique helps the urologist pin point where to extract tissue samples.
Third point; if the biopsy is positive ask for a full body PET scan, this technique uses a specific nuclear isotope to detect the spread of prostate cancer at the cellular level and will allow the surgeon to remove all cancer cells that have been detected.
I had a very aggressive form of prostate cancer but due to all the steps I have described, taken in quick succession, I am expected to have a full cure.

Thanks for hearing me out

Jim
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Men’s health message
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2023, 08:20:24 PM »
Sound advise for us "older" folk. Have lost my father, a cousin and friend to this. Best wishes going forward.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2023, 08:34:03 PM »
Thanks for the heads up!
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2023, 08:48:00 PM »
I’m so glad it turned out well Jim. Well wishes coming your way.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2023, 08:48:00 PM »

Online 73 sport

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2023, 08:49:35 PM »
  Canock 750. Thanks for your post, one of the most meaningful on this website. I've had several friends who opted for chemo and radiation, they all died within two years of treatment. When I was 70 ,  my PSA test was positive, I was scanned and it showed many little tumors throughout the prostate. The docs said we can remove it or leave it, you'll probably die    from old age before the cancer will kill you. I thought "Screw you bastards, it's my life, not yours". I had it cut out.     Twenty years later, here I am with clear mind, relatively flexible body, enjoying the companionship of my dog and a few friends that are still here. Horst.

Offline cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2023, 09:26:34 PM »
Glad to hear you’re addressing it with no quarter, Jim.   Thank you for your frank btdt advice.  I’m not officially old yet but hope to be so one day….  You’ll be on my mind and in my prayers going forward.
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Online John Croucher

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2023, 09:41:11 PM »
I had the biopsy  test.  Doctor said what is called a 5K blood test is just as accurate and non surgical. 

I do testosterone injections and have a high PSA consistently for ten years.  I take Albendazole every 6 months as a cancer prevention treatment. 

Doctor said I had a choice, quality of life or quantity of life.  And continue the testosterone injection.

Online spmoto

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2023, 09:42:24 PM »
Thanks for sharing this sage advice Jim and here's to a speedy and complete recovery!

Also, thanks for your story, 73Sport. We must all be vigilant and fight for our lives on OUR terms.

Steve M

Offline Don G

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2023, 10:49:26 PM »
A thought about getting old and prostate condition went through my head the other day, I guess that one should not ignore that if you want to be around in good health. Hope you heal quick.  DonG

Offline 2WheelsUp

• Hatchling
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2023, 11:40:39 PM »
Thanks for the information, Jim, happy to hear you are on top of it. Three of my close friends have it, two doing well, one not so, guess it can vary widely. It's one of many things to keep an eye on.
Bruce Swan
1978 Moto Guzzi Lemans
1975 Norton Commando
1997 Ducati 748
2001 Harley Davidson Road King
2017 Ducati 939 SS

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2023, 04:45:49 AM »
Good info thanks Jim. Hope you heal up real quick.

As soon as I tuned 65 my doc added the PSA levels in to my annual blood tests. 74 now and levels still low. Have had the finger up the bum a few years ago when an x-ray showed a slight enlargement but all good.

It's not hard to do guys, and an annual blood test is a good investment. PSA, glucose, cholesterol and a few others that I have no idea what they are but he does. :rolleyes: :grin:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2023, 07:15:06 AM »
Check out Dr. Kent Walners book A non surgical perspective to prostate cancer. Dr Walner treated me at the Seattle, WA VA 20 years ago by putting in 56 radio active seeds. Here I am 20 years later, at 80, and still doing what I did at 50 (well, I wasn't doiing much at 50 lmao)

Good luck,
Tex

Online Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2023, 08:03:19 AM »
Sorry to hear this Jim, but happy with the good result.  I just had my annual PSA test.  All good so far.  All the best to you. 
Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

Online PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2023, 08:23:30 AM »
Check out Dr. Kent Walners book A non surgical perspective to prostate cancer. Dr Walner treated me at the Seattle, WA VA 20 years ago by putting in 56 radio active seeds. Here I am 20 years later, at 80, and still doing what I did at 50 (well, I wasn't doiing much at 50 lmao)

Good luck,
Tex

Along those lines a couple of friends in Florida were treated using highly focused, low dose radiation. Its done every other day over 6 weeks. They both said no negative side effects for the first 3-4 weeks, then started feeling a bit tired for the rest of the treatment. At the end both were declared cancer free.
Last time I checked there were two centers in Florida and one in Ohio doing this as it requires a special device.  There may be more now but worth checking into.

Pete

Offline Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2023, 08:24:17 AM »
There are problems with psa test interpretation ,not a black or white issue.Good to get second opinion before surgery.

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2023, 08:28:46 AM »
Thanks for all the kind words fellas.
1 in 8 men will develop prostate cancer at some time in their lives. The most common age for symptoms appearing is 66. Of those diagnosed, the majority will not require surgery, instead active monitoring is all that is required. Most prostate cancers are slow to develop and if interventions are required either radiation treatment or radioactive pellets placed in the prostate will eliminate the cancer. For some of us the cancer can be too aggressive and if we are younger than the average patient then surgery is the recommended option.
My message remains, keep on top of monitoring for prostate and seek professional advice, everyone is unique. If you have family with a history of prostate cancer as I do, then the likelihood of contacting the disease is significantly higher. Of the 1 in 8 who will be diagnosed with prostate cancer, sadly 3 of those will likely die, mostly due to late detection.
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2023, 08:32:32 AM »
There are problems with psa test interpretation ,not a black or white issue.Good to get second opinion before surgery.
The PSA test is only the starting place before a final prognosis for prostate cancer. There are several other procedures to be ran prior to determining if there’s cancer in the prostate.

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2023, 08:37:10 AM »

Agreed, a high PSA score does not confirm the presence of cancer but it is an indication that cancer may be present. Only a biopsy (or now PET Antogyn screening) can confirm it.likewise an enlarged prostate does not confirm cancer, my prostate was not significantly enlarged.

Offline slowmover

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Locked in the arms of a crazy life
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2023, 09:00:57 AM »
My doctor says the digital exam isn’t used anymore and all they do is the PSA test. Is this true everywhere?

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2023, 09:22:05 AM »
My doctor says the digital exam isn’t used anymore and all they do is the PSA test. Is this true everywhere?
No, my Dr.did the digital exam during my yearly physicals until a couple years ago when I questioned why he still did the test. I told him that it was my understanding that for the most part it was no longer considered necessary by a majority of Dr’s.
Doc explained that the digital test would reveal a “bump or knot” that could vary well be a cancerous tumor and that a PSA test may not reveal a significant rise in the PSA number.
Older doctors learn these things through years of experience.
However my Dr said that we could drop the digital test if I wished because at my age if I developed prostate cancer I’d probably die of old age before the cancer got me and that the yearly PSA was good enough.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2023, 09:24:28 AM by Ncdan »

Online bobrebos1

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2023, 11:20:23 AM »
Had my prostate, bladder, gall bladder, and some lymph nodes removed due to an aggressive cancer about 9 years ago.  Life is good now.  All the best for a speedy recovery to you!
Tennessee/Georgia areas Moto Guzzi Enthusiasts -Traveling lunch meetups (on Facebook)

Offline Navydad

• Hatchling
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2023, 01:14:35 PM »
My cancer was discovered in May of 2018 through an elevated PSA score. My cancer was on the outside edge of the prostate against the bladder. It was an aggressive form of prostate cancer and had to go. August of 18 robotic surgery to remove prostate. PSA went down, but slowly started back up. A new type of full body scan showed nothing so in July of 2019 underwent radiation treatments of the area where the cancer had been found. 36 treatments, one every day except weekends. I did just fine until the last week and the fatigue set in. I was about a month getting my strength back. Today my PSA is nondetectable which is about as good as it gets. While true the PSA score isn't a 100% indicator it sure is damn close to it. Get it checked if elevated find out why! Do not brush it off as a fluke. The finger trick wasn't useful for me nor was a needle biopsy because of where the cancer was located. This is treatable if detected. Doc said survival rate at both 5 and 10 years is approaching 99% and although the 20 year specs are harder to come by because a lot of the older folks have passed due to other things or old age the survival rate is still high 90s percentages.   

Offline Jorg66

• Gosling
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2023, 10:27:16 AM »
All the Best Jim !

Got released yesterday ,2 day Stint in Hospital, passing dark red blood .Cramped up Thursday morning,... off to Emergency .

Been doing the Cancer check ups for last 5 Years. Bladder and Intestine.
Now again more to follow.
This time looks like one of my Ulcers 'bursted' , probably the one from Work and not the Guzzi one  :grin:

Now 2019 California ,,2018 [ New] V7 III Carbon Dark
Ex  1979 Kreidler Florett, 1980 Z 550 , 1969Nuovo Falcone/ Polizzia,2006 VTX 1300 C ,1982 Honda CB 125 S

Online StuCorpe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2023, 11:33:56 AM »
I had my prostate removed 23 years ago.  The Dr. looked at my PSA test results and said "You don't have anything to worry about" but lets do a digital exam anyway.  The next thing I heard was "Oh Oh we better schedule a needle biopsy".  The results of that said Cancer.  My thoughts after this was PSA tests are completely worthless and a waste of time and money.

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2023, 01:38:18 PM »
All the Best Jim !

Got released yesterday ,2 day Stint in Hospital, passing dark red blood .Cramped up Thursday morning,... off to Emergency .

Been doing the Cancer check ups for last 5 Years. Bladder and Intestine.
Now again more to follow.
This time looks like one of my Ulcers 'bursted' , probably the one from Work and not the Guzzi one  :grin:

That sound like it’s very unpleasant, I hope you get well soon. This aging thing ain’t all it’s cracked up to be.

Online nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2023, 02:23:35 PM »
Glad to hear you're on the mend Jim. That must have been quite a scare. I must get myself checked soon. Never thought I'd be this old. Heck, I'm almost 23 now.

All the best

Nick

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2023, 05:40:26 PM »
A PSA test certainly isn't definitive..unless you don't have a prostate. Then, it is super important. Yes, I had a fast growing cancer, too. Did a routine MRI because prostate cancer many times goes to the bones. The hospital gave me a CD to take to the doc, so naturally we looked at it. "Hmmm, what is this golf ball on my kidney??" Urologist said he couldn't take them both out at once. He would have killed me.  :evil: Fortunately, one of Dorcia's best friends is a doctor and she said, "Oh, we have to get him in to Tom."  Got in the day before the other guy had me scheduled to take out the kidney, then wait for 6 months to take out the prostate.
Tom, said.. "not a good idea, sure, I can get both at once with the robot. You don't want to wait 6 months to remove the prostate."
It was like having Roper working on your Guzzi..
  :smiley: 
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2023, 07:25:19 PM »
No, my Dr.did the digital exam during my yearly physicals until a couple years ago when I questioned why he still did the test. I told him that it was my understanding that for the most part it was no longer considered necessary by a majority of Dr’s.
Doc explained that the digital test would reveal a “bump or knot” that could vary well be a cancerous tumor and that a PSA test may not reveal a significant rise in the PSA number.
Older doctors learn these things through years of experience.
However my Dr said that we could drop the digital test if I wished because at my age if I developed prostate cancer I’d probably die of old age before the cancer got me and that the yearly PSA was good enough.

well said.  PSA tests have plenty of false positives and negatives.  They really are only an indicator that more scrutiny is needed.  Twice now my PSA has increased from below 4 (the number that differentiates normal from high) to about 8-12.  First biopsy turned out negative, a few years later, I got the MRI and the guided biopsy.  That also turned out negative.

Like everything else, numbers in medicine are only guidelines, not absolute indicators.  Sooooo may variables in biology!
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline vintagehoarder

• Cycle Hoarders
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Ride to Eat, Eat To Ride
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2023, 07:15:04 AM »
Prayers for a full recovery and strength!
Cyclehoarders Garage
2021 Honda CT125 Trail Cub
2018 Triumph Tiger 800
2014 Moto Guzzi California Touring 1400
2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Speical
2009 Vepsa GTS 250 ie
1987 Suzuki Samurai (4 Wheels)
1981 Honda CX500 Deluxe
1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado 850
1969 Yamaha YAS1C
La Grange, KY

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2023, 10:47:13 AM »
While I applaud Jim and everyone who contributed to this very useful post, I would like to point out that anyone who thinks Women can not be afflicted with prostate cancer is being very insensitive!

:wink:

"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here