Author Topic: Won't get Fooled Again  (Read 1852 times)

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
Won't get Fooled Again
« on: April 09, 2019, 10:22:42 AM »
Sure, that's what I said last time.  So last years winter I put a dual battery setup in my Bassa/sidecar.  I used a battery isolator that would charge both batteries, each system with its own control , loads and indication.  I used all new components and was plagued by the car side having intermittant voltage fluctuations. It worked well enough but the fact that it wasn't "right" bugged me,  I was of the mindset that installed equipment has to work especially if I had done all the work myself so this winter I went through ALL the wireing and components.  I found some minor defects but nothing that would cause the fault I was getting indication of.  Then since I was running short of time with spring approaching I decided to simplify and took the second system out. Huge job.  After I finished as I was thinking of the other bikes I have yet to revive, I thought I'd put that spare battery on the charger.  After hooking it up to a charger and monitoring charging current and voltage, it's an absorbed mat type, I thought  "that's odd".  I even have a carbon pile to test batteries but this is an intermittant open inside the battery.  I'll stick it in a mower and run it until failure. Maybe I won't get fooled again, Har,Har
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Moto

Re: Won't get Fooled Again
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 11:38:24 AM »
Of all the components deserving of hate on a motorcycle, the storage battery deserves it most.

Keep up the good fight!

Moto

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 11:57:30 AM »
It certainly is the cause of more weird electrical faults than most realize.. :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline JC85

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 05:10:14 PM »
I never have problems with the battery on my 74 Eldo draining over the winter. Of course, that could have something to do with the fact that, due to an air filter modification my dad did to it, years ago, I have enough room in the compartment to fit a freaking Volkswagen battery in there. Half the price, twice the cold crank amps, and stays charged, all winter.  :grin:
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 05:16:10 PM by JC85 »
'74 Eldo Police Model
'07 CalVin

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 05:10:14 PM »

twowings

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 06:17:52 PM »
Funky old batteries sell a LOT of extra parts.... :laugh:

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 07:23:46 PM »
BTDT, I'm sure there are others.  :grin:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2019, 07:55:43 PM »
BTDT, I'm sure there are others.  :grin:

I was one of the others, until about 10 years ago when I bought a Battery Load Tester.

If you combine the sober use of a Battery Load Tester with a dose of healthy skepticism about the condition of ANY battery, even a brand new one, or even one that has been cared for like an infant child ... you will never get fooled again.

Bad batteries and bad grounds are the source of 95% of every electrical problem I've had, helped with, or read about in my whole life with motor vehicles.

But for some reason, people don't want to believe it, and don't want to spend $100 on a good-quality Battery Load Tester.   They'd rather say "My electronic ignition appears to have failed.   I've checked everything; my battery is producing 12.0 volts and nothing has been changed.   I've bought another ignition module and hope it will fix the problem ..."   Over and over again ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Charles in Lake Charles

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2019, 06:43:30 AM »
I had one for a couple of years. Worked great until the switch burned up. :embarassed:
TOYS:
98 Yellow Centauro, 93 SPIII, 1978 LeMans,
1977 Convert, 1975 850-T (FOR SALE),
1985 Harley FLTC, 1985 K100RT
2001 Lees-ure Lite Camper,
1988 Mercedes 560SL

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2019, 07:21:36 AM »
Bad batteries and bad grounds are the source of 95% of every electrical problem I've had, helped with, or read about in my whole life with motor vehicles.
Lannis

Boats, too.
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Moto

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2019, 02:50:49 PM »
I had one for a couple of years. Worked great until the switch burned up. :embarassed:

Thanks. I think that "switch" is a dial that puts pressure on the carbon pile, and the failure mode you experienced is not exactly a switch failure, but something that happens to the pile. But I can't remember anything more!

Moto

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2019, 05:40:43 PM »
I got the other load tester from Harbor Freight.  Works fine for my uses.  :thumb:

https://www.harborfreight.com/100-amp-612v-battery-load-tester-61747.html
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2019, 05:48:34 PM »
Thanks. I think that "switch" is a dial that puts pressure on the carbon pile, and the failure mode you experienced is not exactly a switch failure, but something that happens to the pile. But I can't remember anything more!

Moto

You are supposed to clamp the carbons when not in use or especially before I drop it.  The carbons are fragile and break too easy.  Turn the knob clockwise , on mine anyway and you'll feel it tighten. Just snug is all it needs.  I generally forget so when I turn it on there is already a load which I didn't expect
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 08:57:49 PM by John A »
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Moto

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2019, 08:00:04 PM »

You are supposed to clamp the carbons when not in use or especially before I drop it.  The carbons are fragile and break too easy.

That sounds right!

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2019, 08:55:11 PM »
author=Moto link=topic=100461.msg1588790#msg1588790 date=1554864059
Lannis,

Do you think this Harbor Freight carbon pile tester is a reasonable choice for occasional use? Or would you recommend something more elaborate?

url=http://https:battery+load+tester+Harbor+Freight

Moto

It's got to be better than not having one at all.   Me personal, when I realized how many problems this thing would solve for me, given that I have (at the moment) 18 batteries here that are required to start or run IC engines, I went to my local car shop and asked what kind they used.   They pointed me to a NAPA-branded job, all metal, nicely made, about $110, and I've been using it now for 10 years and no trouble.

Harbor Freight?   I've learned over the years that, for MY money, I don't buy HF stuff with moving parts or electrical stuff in them.   Heavy metal wedges, sacrificial stuff, things that get used up quick, OK.   But things like car jacks or jack stands or chains or things that my life might depend on?   Nope.   Other people's mileage at HF varies, so you pays your money and takes your choice.

Lannis
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 11:27:45 AM by Lannis »
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Moto

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2019, 10:32:59 PM »
Thanks. I've looked at parts diagrams of name-brands and the HF version, and they look very much the same inside. But the quality of the components doesn't show up in diagrams. I'll be leery, for sure.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here