Author Topic: Will a pre-E5 V7 rear wheel fit on a pre-E5 V9?  (Read 230 times)

Offline Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
Will a pre-E5 V7 rear wheel fit on a pre-E5 V9?
« on: March 09, 2023, 10:13:03 AM »
I suspect not, but can a pre-E5 V7 rear wheel hook up to a pre-E5 V9?

Seeing that enough of the same things cross over between a V7 III and a V9–crankcase, bell housing, gearbox—I’m considering the idea of a hybrid between the two. The V9’s torque delivery is pretty stinkin’ low, perfect for sidecar tugging AND exploring off-road a la old school G/S (and GS).

I thought about getting a used V9 and slapping a V7 tank and seat onto it, but one niggle has me concerned—those cast wheels. I’m a fan of spoked wheels, as they help with suspension and provide flexibility during the bumpy stuff. However, the V9’s swingarm and drive coupling plate that connects to the wheel hub differ from the V7’s. My question is—how different?

Another option would be to get a V7 III and swap out the V7’s top end for a V9’s, but without also swapping the transmission and final drives, I surmise I wouldn’t reach that crawling torque that the V9 assumes.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 10:14:17 AM by Dirk_S »
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here