Author Topic: You'd think they would of learnt their lesson......  (Read 1416 times)

pete roper

You'd think they would of learnt their lesson......
« on: July 30, 2019, 10:47:41 PM »
Tappets from my 2003 Hydro.

Although the cause of the failures with the 8V's in 2008 was different after the fiasco with the Hydro you'd I'd expected them to get their shit together for their next major engine project!

Mind you I'd heard that the entire design staff at Mandello were sacked after the Hydro disaster so the mob that took over at Pontadera/Noale or wherever probably started from scratch.

Pete

Offline pete mcgee

• Gosling
Re: You'd think they would of learnt their lesson......
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 12:59:41 AM »
So what is the fix for this?
Go back to the old style followers and manual tappets?
Went through Bunendore last week on the way to the apollo rally, you guys really need to pay your power bill, its cold.
No wonder I moved to QLD after 10 years riding around Canberra...
Pete (no not the Bungendore one)

Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people look intelligent until you hear them speak....

pete roper

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 01:20:02 AM »
A series of recalls and fixes. They finally got it right with a modified cam and lightening the valve train and springs.

You should of dropped in if you were coming through.

Pete

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 07:03:05 AM »
You know its amazing they had this problem.. Its not like a flat hydraulic tappet is new tech.. They have been around for a VARY long time!!! 
Paul B

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 07:03:05 AM »

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2019, 08:38:51 AM »
Heck, the na$car boys used flat lifters until a couple years ago. They had crazy cam profiles and spun the things to 9k rpm all day long with no problems.
It ain't rocket science.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2019, 08:56:26 AM »
Before that it was the V65 4V cam, now who's the V85 Guinea Pigs for the new crap. ALL GOOD computer generated stuff. No need for testing. Just keep a warranty going.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2019, 09:11:25 AM »
Tappets from my 2003 Hydro.

Those are good for another 10,000 miles......  :evil:

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2019, 02:53:45 PM »
^^^^^
<suits talking> Watsa the problem? They made it past warranty.. :evil:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2019, 02:55:01 PM »
Heck, the na$car boys used flat lifters until a couple years ago. They had crazy cam profiles and spun the things to 9k rpm all day long with no problems.
It ain't rocket science.

This was written by Reher- Morrison racing engines in 2013 before roller tappets were allowed in Cup Nascar...

I know that some racers have run flat tappet cams successfully for years, and that NASCAR Nextel Cup teams are required by the rules to use flat tappets. The former are very fortunate, while the latter spend mountains of money on special cam cores made from exotic alloys, hardened and inlaid lobe faces, oversize zero-radius lifters, camshaft oilers and major block modifications to eke out 500 miles of racing from a flat tappet cam before it self-destructs. Flat tappets don’t save money for NASCAR teams – in fact, the total cost far exceeds the price of a roller cam and lifters. Moreover, the highly specialized components and machining procedures used in NASCAR Nextel Cup engines have virtually nothing in common with the flat tappet cams listed in retail catalogs.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here