Author Topic: Hi-Vis - interesting article on preferences  (Read 7040 times)

Offline rjamesohio

• Gaggle Hero
Hi-Vis - interesting article on preferences
« on: December 22, 2019, 02:55:22 PM »
https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/why-motorcyclists-wont-wear-high-visibility-gear?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=boosted-posts%7Ctpfn-content&utm_content=common-tread-opinion&utm_term=why-motorcyclists-wont-wear-high-visibility-gear-102219-%7Ctpfn

Interesting article confirming what I suspected ; most motorcyclists are sadly more concerned about how they look than adding another layer of safety.

Since my accident - I like my motorcycles to have added LED lighting and when my black Summer mesh finally wears out itll be replaced by a hi /vis mesh.

But it appears thats the  minority view...
Ron James
Ex LM V
Ex SP1000
Ex Eldorado
Ex Quota - parts live on after crash
EX 1000G5
EX 850T3
EX 2003 V11 Stone
EX 1996 California 1100i
EX 2006 Big Breva
1979 1000 G5
1993 California iii
Spine Frame Mongrel
1999 BMW R1100R
Waynesville, Oh

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
Re: Hi-Vis - interesting article on preferences
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 03:14:23 PM »
You could be wearing a bright clowns suit with flashing lights and bright streamers, and the cage drivers still wouldn't see you.

I don't think they want to see you.   :violent1:

Offline cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 03:17:12 PM »
Even with our heavily HD-populated Antique Bikes on Main rally, we found when we started offering hi-vis color shirts that they now typically sell out faster than the other color schemes.  The first time we offered the hi-vis yellow and safety orange colors a few years ago, we worried they would never sell.  They were gone almost immediately. 

Not everyone likes or wears them, but enough do that there are always hi-vis shirts available now.
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline cookiemech

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 03:31:04 PM »
I have the advantage of knowing that I'm not cool, and have never been. So I wear Hi-Viz, and I'm the weirdo who (among my other bikes) rides Harleys with stock mufflers. Hi-Viz is not magic, and relying on it to save your butt is foolish, but it's part of your arsenal.

I don't have a gremlin bell, either . . .

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 03:31:04 PM »

Offline rjamesohio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2019, 03:40:12 PM »
Nope nothing is guaranteed to save us. It’s merely a process of increasing our odds.

I heard that the BMW school encourages riders to ride with their brights on in the day.

Having had a significant accident I’ll do everything I can until I can’t ride anymore. I’m enjoying being back on the road but definitely have a new approach post accident.
Ron James
Ex LM V
Ex SP1000
Ex Eldorado
Ex Quota - parts live on after crash
EX 1000G5
EX 850T3
EX 2003 V11 Stone
EX 1996 California 1100i
EX 2006 Big Breva
1979 1000 G5
1993 California iii
Spine Frame Mongrel
1999 BMW R1100R
Waynesville, Oh

Offline kirby1923

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '81 CX100
  • Location: SoCal (rural) near Tehachapi CA, Rogers AR when in the states other times GMT+1 thu +6
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2019, 05:10:10 PM »
You could be wearing a bright clowns suit with flashing lights and bright streamers, and the cage drivers still wouldn't see you.

I don't think they want to see you.   :violent1:

IMHO
Most if not all non riders driving autos are not looking for motorbikes, they are looking for things that are as big or bigger than themselves, things that can do them in and motos are not likely to be on that list.

Doesn't matter what your wearing as far as Hi Vis. A white helmet is probably more conspicuous and noticed more as it can be a policeman.

Its risky, riding a moto as we all know. I have decided long ago that the best thing I can do is be vigilant and wear good moto gear w/pads, abrasion resistant apparel w/armor, and a good quality helmet.(almost always).

:-)
'81 CX100

A calm and modest life brings more happiness than the constant pursuit of success combined with constant restlessness.. Einstein,A

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2019, 08:25:20 PM »
I've been using Hi-Viz for years...I rode with a blaze orange backpack as a kid. Nowadays, I like my yellow drybag and the red or yellow accents on my textile jackets, but the reflective and auxiliary lighting options help, too.   

Gosh...I guess I am getting a bit long of tooth.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline SED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2019, 08:49:56 PM »
Out riding the old Ariel and pulled over by a motor officer who told me that he'd recently returned to work after having been rear-ended with his blues flashing!  I couldn't believe it!  Search image is everything. 

He still wrote me a ticket.   :undecided:

Next helmet will probably be white.  Moon eyes or some similar graphics probably help.  This image from a German helmet supplier.

https://www.24helmets.de/en/mooneyes-sticker-moon-eyes
1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2019, 09:27:56 PM »
Out riding the old Ariel and pulled over by a motor officer who told me that he'd recently returned to work after having been rear-ended with his blues flashing!  I couldn't believe it!  Search image is everything. 

He still wrote me a ticket.   :undecided:

Next helmet will probably be white.  Moon eyes or some similar graphics probably help.  This image from a German helmet supplier.

https://www.24helmets.de/en/mooneyes-sticker-moon-eyes

I have to ask. What possible illegal thing could you have been doing on an old Ariel? Cops in your area don’t have any real crime to fight?
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2019, 10:33:44 PM »
Thanks for the read. My personal input / reaction:

I prefer leather for street riding and I carry a high-vis chest strap that I wear at night. My helmet is mostly white with a splash of high-vis yellow and some reflectors.

I just put a 2 inch strip of black reflective tape around all three cases on my Stelvio. It's hard to see during the day - but it pops brilliant white at night.

The article cites some study that "the presumption" is that high-vis gear helps. Does anyone know of any actual evidence for the effectiveness of hi-vis gear? Personally, I don't think it helps during clear days. But my rain gear is 100% hi-vis yellow. I'm open to seeing the evidence.

I also ride with the high beam during the day.
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Offline GonzoB

• Hatchling
    • Gonzo Projects
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2019, 10:37:33 PM »
Not related to motorcycles, but I discovered that hi-viz clothing actually makes you invisible.

How? Well here in Oz all tradespeople wear hi-viz shirts. In one job I was regularly wearing hi-viz and had to travel in lifts (sorry, elevators) a lot in hi-rise office blocks. All the other people in the lift (usually in suits) would ignore me. It's like I wasn't there. No eye-contact, no "g'day", nothing. I was obviously a tradesperson and therefore invisible.

Gonzo
My '07 Breva 750 Projects: MCC cruise - Luggage - Shorter Shocks -

Offline SED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2019, 10:38:50 PM »
I have to ask. What possible illegal thing could you have been doing on an old Ariel? Cops in your area don’t have any real crime to fight?
Larry

Typical Snohomish county speed trap.  Rural road, mostly trees, posted 45-50.  No real change in the road except a couple of residences ahead but the limit had dropped to 35.  He was off the sight line in a gravel logging(?) road with a chain across.  53mph.  Stopped just past him but he threw the book anyway.  Called it a tax.

This was way more fun.   :evil:

« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 10:41:31 PM by SED »
1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2019, 11:33:57 PM »
My brother would ride with high beam and it irritated the hell out of me. It was blinding in the rear view, and blinding coming at you. If a headlight is so bright it's hard to look at, it's hard to judge speed.

I think it's just plain rude using high beams around other drivers.

There's no substitute for commanding the space around you and demanding others see you. It's something of a spiritual thing - sort of like using THE FORCE.

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2019, 12:58:34 AM »
I'm with wirespokes. It's gotten much worse with modern lighting, much of it poorly installed or purposely aimed to boast their brilliance. All those riding about on matte black bikes with glaring headlights are a rolling oxymoron. They don't see the glare from others?  R3~

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2019, 01:18:19 AM »

Is that the 37 0r the 49 red Hunter, Im guessing the 1937 by the girder forks
My first real bike was a 600 single side valve VB Ariel, I think 1949 with telescopic forks.
I had another old 600 with one piece head and barrel, brass plugs to get the valves out.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2019, 02:53:15 AM »
Typical Snohomish county speed trap.  Rural road, mostly trees, posted 45-50.  No real change in the road except a couple of residences ahead but the limit had dropped to 35.  He was off the sight line in a gravel logging(?) road with a chain across.  53mph.  Stopped just past him but he threw the book anyway.  Called it a tax.

What a Dick,that cop was for "throwing the book " at you SED! He should have given you a break just for riding such a cool old bike!   :laugh:
I sure would have ,were I the cop....I guess thats why I am not a cop!
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2019, 07:32:19 AM »

Sorry for the thread drift. I wear hi-vis at at the construction sites that I visit every day. On the bike, black leather. Just old school, I guess.
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Offline Blaufeld66

• Hatchling
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2019, 07:40:47 AM »
Here in Italy, the problem is not that they don't see you, but that they don't CARE about you...
Sold:
1984 V65C
1985 850-T5
2001 V11 Sport Rosso Mandello Edition
2008 Stelvio 1200 4V
Own:
2003 California EV

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2019, 07:49:40 AM »
Here in Italy, the problem is not that they don't see you, but that they don't CARE about you...

That is true here in the US too.     Too many people care more about texting their friends than the lives of the strangers around them.
Maybe when someone they care about if maimed or killed, then they'll change their priorities.   

I do what I can to be seen, but, assume that I'm not, and ride accordingly.

2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2019, 07:54:24 AM »

There's no substitute for commanding the space around you and demanding others see you.

People smash their cars into school buses with their lights flashing.

They crash at full speed into fire trucks with all lights on and sirens going.

They hit semi rigs with clearance lights all around.

You can "demand" all you want and the average driver's attitude is "I've got something else to do.   Don't you realize how IMPORTANT my time is compared to your or anyone else's life?   Learn how to multitask."    They're not going to pay attention to any demand you may think you're making.

Be that as it may, I've started going bright - We have bright yellow helmets, Fay has a HiViz harness on her Rukka, I have a HiViz Aerostich.    We did that, and got away from the traditional stylish black leather, because I noticed that I could see motorcyclists half a mile away when they're wearing that sort of gear.   But given the  brain-dead nature of your average 21st century driver, the improvement in safety is likely only marginal.   

Doesn't matter what you're wearing or how many lights are flashing if the opposing driver is staring down at their smart phone ...

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2019, 07:56:39 AM »

Maybe when someone they care about if maimed or killed, then they'll change their priorities.   

Never happen.   The annual butcher's bill from smart phone abuse on the highways today is estimated at about 8,000 per year.   That's more Americans in the past 10 years than died in Vietnam.   

The addiction is too strong, like opiods.   They just don't care.

Lannis

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2019, 08:07:23 AM »
The distracted driving problem is going to force us all into autonomous-only vehicles.
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2019, 08:35:50 AM »
Not only are highbeams annoying but with approaching traffic they are illegal at least in MO.

I think a lot of drivers have the attitude they own the road and you should stay out of their way. My son says he can be laying on the air horn, have all lights flashing and have the siren screaming and drivers don't move. Some even tell him he's #1.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

oldbike54

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2019, 08:46:48 AM »
 Probably the most effective way to be more visible is to increase your profile . Depth perception in humans works better when the eyes pick up larger objects . Hi viz is helpful in some situations , but making your profile wider is likely a better ploy .

Dusty

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2019, 08:59:30 AM »
It's true, Lannis. no matter how visible you are, you're still at risk. There's no substitute for being aware and ready to handle whatever comes up.

We're living in interesting times (and old Chinese curse) when 80% of the drivers out there are on drugs or medication, and the rest are texting or talking on the phone. Never assume they'll do the right thing.

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2019, 09:58:36 AM »
Unfortunately, getting and keeping a drivers license in the states is far to easy.  That goes for M/C as well.  When my father was in his early 80's he was stricken with Parkinson's disease.  He could barely walk unaided, yet he was able to renew his drivers license with just a vision exam.  When I told him he was in no condition to be behind the wheel and would kill someone, he said, "I've got lots of insurance!"   

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2019, 10:07:20 AM »
Unfortunately, getting and keeping a drivers license in the states is far to easy.  That goes for M/C as well.  When my father was in his early 80's he was stricken with Parkinson's disease.  He could barely walk unaided, yet he was able to renew his drivers license with just a vision exam.  When I told him he was in no condition to be behind the wheel and would kill someone, he said, "I've got lots of insurance!"

Even at my age, I already know that my sense of manhood and self-respect is NOT tied to my ability to drive a car.  I've watched very many people do it right - ritually hand over the keys even before others sense that their driving abilities are getting dangerous, and they are my role models - my two grandmothers, my two grandfathers, my mother-in-law.   

Others have driven (my mother, my uncle) until there had to be an intervention, and they felt that their life was over if they couldn't drive themselves any more.   I suppose that an aging brain whose filters are gone results in this warped sense of priorities ("Who cares if I kill someone - I have to drive!"), but I've already put down in writing what my sons are to do if I get that way due to my brain shutting down and me not being the same person I am now ...

Lannis

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2019, 10:11:24 AM »

I've been wearing white helmets and yellow hi-viz for years.

I think the white helmet is the most help.  They really stand out in traffic.

The yellow hi-viz also seems to be good.  With all the police/fire/contruction workers wearing it, I think the color registers with drivers.

Even with the white helmet and hi-viz, I still get the occasional driver pulling out in front of me.  Still need to ride vigilant.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline SED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2019, 11:36:55 AM »
Is that the 37 0r the 49 red Hunter, Im guessing the 1937 by the girder forks
My first real bike was a 600 single side valve VB Ariel, I think 1949 with telescopic forks.
I had another old 600 with one piece head and barrel, brass plugs to get the valves out.

Cool bikes Roy!  Thanks Larry.  1947 with girders put on by the previous owner.  It is a fun bike and the one I'll always keep.  Sorry for the thread drift.

My next helmet will probably be white and I may start wearing the hi-vis vest.   A friend did the entire hi-vis neon helmet, suit and accents on the bike.  We were riding down a river road and you could see him well ahead (1/2 mile?) across a meander bend. He was riding in a group and the only one you would notice or could pick out on a clear sunny day.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 11:38:22 AM by SED »
1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2019, 12:27:45 PM »
"Not only are highbeams annoying but with approaching traffic they are illegal at least in MO."

I had to renew my license last spring. Never know what Cali is going to do and since I had to take a written test due to my advanced age I figured I better get the study materials. There used to be all kinds of screwy questions and dubious answers in the study guides so I wanted to be able to provide the answers they wanted and not necessarily the correct ones.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that the MC study guide is quite good with lots of excellent advice. One thing that surprised me was that California actually recommends riding with your high beams during daylight hours. I agree with this especially now that most new headlights are so well focused that they are actually hard to see when they are on low beam. I now ride with my high beam on. I would rather be in one piece and obnoxious rather than the alternative. However I don't when riding with other bikers. I would check your state laws before doing it.

Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here