Author Topic: Hi-Vis - interesting article on preferences  (Read 7054 times)

Online LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Hi-Vis - interesting article on preferences
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2019, 01:16:21 PM »
On the other end of the spectrum are matte, flat and murdered out colors.   I'd guess that flat black and matte gray are the worst.

But the flat colors work well with hi viz stuff like yellow and green.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline frozengoose

• To eaches his onus...
  • Gosling
    • smiles from nowhere
  • Location: Just a little ways past Fairbanks, Alaska on the locally world famous Chena Hot Springs Road
« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2019, 08:07:15 PM »
No way anyone's headlights ever blinded an oncoming driver in the daylight, don't care what the law says. ....

Since I apparently am developing cataracts, they take a while to effect your vision noticeably, any bright lights, including high beams during daylight, annoy, irritate, or distract my driving. Just because they don't bother you, well everyone's tolerances are different. And I just passed my DMV eye test, so don't think it's only my problem. If anybody feels they have to drive with their high beams on all the time, well maybe they should just take the bus.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 08:38:56 PM by frozengoose »
Big Jon

Two old Guzzi's (V65 & T), 250E CZ, and 6 happy huskies.

Well, I've got a baby, she's a bad motorcycle
Brrooom-pa-pa-pa, pa-pa-pa-pa-paw
When we ride together, all through the night
She's got a real wild machine and it's out of sight
She goes brrooom-pa-pa-pa, paw-paw, motorcycle
Jerry Zee

oldbike54

« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2019, 08:58:20 PM »
Since I apparently am developing cataracts, they take a while to effect your vision noticeably, any bright lights, including high beams during daylight, annoy, irritate, or distract my driving. Just because they don't bother you, well everyone's tolerances are different. And I just passed my DMV eye test, so don't think it's only my problem. If anybody feels they have to drive with their high beams on all the time, well maybe they should just take the bus.

I've always been light sensitive , have always had really good night vision , even at 65 see better in low light situations than in really bright sunlight, so yeah , bright high beams are annoying , and can cause a loss of visual acuity .

Dusty

Offline rschrum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2019, 09:48:39 PM »

Figure just maybe a texter might catch me out of the corner of their eye. Got a bright green one also.
15 GRISO
00 ZX12r
07 Tuono Factory
01 ZRX 1200R
19 Monster 1200R
2012 MV Agusta Brutale 1090R
08 Ducati s4rs Tricolore
22 Indian FTR Championship
Central Iowa

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2019, 09:48:39 PM »

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2019, 10:07:20 PM »
As another poster adverted to, one of my reasons for wearing Hi Viz gear is the thought that maybe the dingbat who finally takes me out won’t be able to say to the investigating officer: “I just didn’t see him.”

Well, I guess they can still say it.

Just want them to look dumb doing so.  :shocked:
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 10:08:40 PM by SmithSwede »
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline Kristian

• Gosling
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2020, 02:23:02 PM »
Another piece of strong support for headlight modulators - they work very well. First thing I do when buying a new bike is to fit http://www.signaldynamics.com/ front and rear modulators/tail light flashers (did it to the Laverda I just bought). Never understood riders who are against them, or their typical argument that they just ride like they are invisible, as if you can't do both and be safer. The light modulation works well because it happens over time/distance, allowing cagers to perceive you and your speed better vs. just hi-viz gear.

All I can tell you is that I clearly see drivers perceive me, while I cover the front brake and keep my speed to 30 MPH around town. They've been proven to work over decades of use.

Helmet colors: White or with lots of white, why cops wear them. There are youtube videos on the subject.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 02:25:09 PM by Kristian »

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2020, 03:51:05 PM »
Wear a gun, Then they will see you from half a mile away.  If you are in a state that doesn't approve of that, wear a cap gun.  They will perceive you as a threat but they will perceive you.
 Years ago in Oregon when riding the desert I always had a pistol in plain view.  I know for a fact that it makes you visible
even to those who are selectively blind to motorcycles.  They don't see the motorcycle, but they do see the gun.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2020, 04:38:45 PM »
I don't see how anyone at a distance (at a glance) could see something as small as a pistol on a motorcycle coming at you. Often all you see is the headlight, so where would you keep a pistol so it's visible?

Anyone who thinks headlights during the day aren't blinding must be half blind already. Lots of times I flip the night mirror on in the cage during the day.

It's something like the arms race - "they've got more powerful bombs than us, we'd better make even bigger ones!!!"  Now that a lot of cars have headlights on permanently, we'd better have more powerful lights and MORE OF THEM!!!

Gets kind of silly after a while. There's only so much you can do making yourself visible - don't go overboard. Light modulators and all that are great, but please don't use 100 or 200 watt (or even just 60 watt) high beams and irritating shit like that! There is such a thing as highway etiquette.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 09:16:09 AM by wirespokes »

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2020, 03:49:42 AM »
Don't think people can see a gun?

How about a stumper bicker that reads, "start seeing motorcycles"?
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2020, 09:17:18 AM »
Don't think people can see a gun?

How about a stumper bicker that reads, "start seeing motorcycles"?
I guess I could put it on the front fender or across the headlight.

oldbike54

« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2020, 09:19:23 AM »
 <sigh>

Dusty

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2020, 12:12:14 PM »
I voted with my wallet.  :smiley: Just picked up a new AGV K5 on closeout  (guzzi content )in high viz green and black.  :thumb:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2020, 01:15:43 PM »
I voted with my wallet.  :smiley: Just picked up a new AGV K5 on closeout  (guzzi content )in high viz green and black.  :thumb:

I thought we weren't supposed to talk guns here?   AGV K5 vs AK 47... get it?  just playing.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2020, 03:52:42 PM »
I thought we weren't supposed to talk guns here?   AGV K5 vs AK 47... get it?  just playing.

You are absolutely correct and it is strictly enforced.   

MOTORCYCLES!   Not guns.

We already have a thread going on Royal Enfield motorcycles.    What a lot of history there is behind that brand, and still going strong today!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Gusable

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2020, 09:01:23 PM »
VERY much agree with the smidsy wave “ sorry mate I didn’t see you!” Ain’t gonna fly when you see me coming! Lol
1994 California 1100

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #75 on: January 07, 2020, 06:11:54 AM »
Another piece of strong support for headlight modulators - they work very well. First thing I do when buying a new bike is to fit http://www.signaldynamics.com/ front and rear modulators/tail light flashers (did it to the Laverda I just bought). Never understood riders who are against them, or their typical argument that they just ride like they are invisible, as if you can't do both and be safer. The light modulation works well because it happens over time/distance, allowing cagers to perceive you and your speed better vs. just hi-viz gear.

All I can tell you is that I clearly see drivers perceive me, while I cover the front brake and keep my speed to 30 MPH around town. They've been proven to work over decades of use.

Helmet colors: White or with lots of white, why cops wear them. There are youtube videos on the subject.

Incredibly, incredibly annoying.  Headlight modulators make me want to reach for a tire iron.  I wear polarized sunglasses because the glare from a rear window on a car in front of me will trigger a migraine.  An oncoming rider with his headlight strobing like an attention whore has me wincing in pain and looking in the opposite direction after five seconds.  Remember a few years ago when all those Japanese kids had seizures because a tv show had long sequences of strobing lights?  Yeah.  That’s a real thing.  Flashing your headlight over and over and over into oncoming traffic is an aggressive thing to do.  It’s not the same, at all, as a brake light modulator.  One says, “Hey there!  Please don’t run me over”. The other says, “I really don’t care if my light induces epileptic seizures or you run off the road because you’re trying to shield your eyes from my incessantly flashing lights”. 

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2020, 01:46:54 PM »
A correctly set headlight with a modulator is nothing like what you’re describing.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2020, 02:20:06 PM »
I'm not a big fan of everybody running around in the twatsuits as Pete would say, but after seeing how highly visible some of the racers are out on the tracks with the high viz helmets, I'm rethinking my gear set up.

I have a well used/faded armored/padded Rukka riding suit w black pant and red&black jacket, other than the reflective stripes and piping nothing high viz about it; I love the suit, I'll be wearing it until it falls apart, suspenders snapping lol.

I have a newer Shoei GTAir helmet in matt black that I love, but I've thought very seriously of buying some type of high viz sticker system to put on it, I would be looking for effective but not something garish or ugly, and definitely would want something that the glue wouldn't attack the plastic in helmet.

Has anyone tried a high viz sticker kit on a helmet? Pros cons thoughts?

Tia

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

GeorgiaGuzzi

« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2020, 07:56:20 PM »
A few years ago I had a mishap with a ladder that was crossways on I-85. A tractor trailer was to my right, guardrail to my left. Hit it about 55mph guesstimate. Trust me when I say the terrifying part of sliding to a stop on the interstate was looking up into oncoming headlights. After that, I wear hi viz. it didn’t help in Jan ‘19, idiot in a van said “I didn’t see you” even with my safety yellow helmet!!! I still wear hi viz, because a pedestrian (after an accident) vs a car or truck! loses every time.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here