Author Topic: Shout out for a good motorcycle shipper  (Read 3387 times)

Online brider

• Gaggle Hero
Shout out for a good motorcycle shipper
« on: June 08, 2018, 06:49:26 AM »
I recently had an '86 LeMans shipped from FL to CT by a (former?) Guzzi Guy who  gave me a good deal and was WAAAAAY easier to deal with than a "shipper company", although I think he does work for commercial shippers.

Got his name from a member here (can't remember who that was): Simon Tack, ph 919-273-2450. All cash transaction, honest, communicative, and on-time. Knows bikes. Better price than I got anywhere else.
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Shout out for a good motorcycle shipper
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 07:21:05 AM »
Tell me more.  How does he ship?  Does he use his own equipment? (truck, trailer, enclosed, etc.)  What's his territory?  I've used the big shipping companies (Federal, etc) and have ALWAYS had some paint damage, and once the straps pulled out of the pallet, tweaking the front forks.  The open pallet shippers treat a motorcycle the same as a crate of bowling balls.

Offline SPScottNT

• Hatchling
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 07:40:34 AM »
 Plus 1 on Simon!  Excellent experience with him.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 07:41:39 AM by SPScottNT »

Online brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 08:19:07 AM »
Tell me more.  How does he ship?  Does he use his own equipment? (truck, trailer, enclosed, etc.)  What's his territory?  I've used the big shipping companies (Federal, etc) and have ALWAYS had some paint damage, and once the straps pulled out of the pallet, tweaking the front forks.  The open pallet shippers treat a motorcycle the same as a crate of bowling balls.

He pulled up to my house in a big Econoline van with the passenger seat removed, at least 3 bikes strapped down inside, and pulling an enclosed trailer which is where my bike was. No damage at all, he wheeled it up to my garage before I even knew he was in the driveway. He knew his Guzzis, but had other makes in the van. No contract, we made a verbal deal and I gave the pickup info (name, ph #, address) to him and he contacted the pickup person (PO) and arranged schedule with him.

I was leery having no contract, but I had the title (PO sent it to me), and an endorsement from this forum, plus actually talking to him, was enough for me to gamble.

Cash on delivery. I don't know his territory, but I would imagine, like any trucker, if he gets enough scheduled pickups in a given direction he could go anywhere.
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 08:19:07 AM »

Offline radguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • N 44° 01.233 W 069° 41.267 ~ Midcoast, Maine USA
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 08:52:24 AM »

Yup, 10-4 on Simon.

I have been telling you guys and anyone who asks for a motorcycle shipper about this great guy.

He is my first choice for shipping.  Period.

Go on ya brider for the shout out to Simon.

Best,
Rob

Current:
2004 EV Touring
'99 EV Hack
'76 V1000 'Vert
'80 SP 1000
2013 Harley FLHTC
'75 Triumph T160 Trident
'78 Triumph T140V Bonneville
'78 Yamaha XS 650
'88 Honda Hawk GT
'84 RZ350 KR
'71 Dalesman Trials

A VeeDub and an MGB...

The Journey is the Reward

Online brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 10:04:41 AM »
Yup, 10-4 on Simon.

I have been telling you guys and anyone who asks for a motorcycle shipper about this great guy.

Best,
Rob

Thanks, Rob, I think I got the referral from you!
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

oldbike54

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 10:06:43 AM »
 Just spoke with Dan , unfortunately he doesn't run West of Oklahoma , seems a great guy however . Oh , he still owns a Guzzi .

Dusty

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 06:15:52 AM »
Just spoke with Dan , unfortunately he doesn't run West of Oklahoma , seems a great guy however . Oh , he still owns a Guzzi .

Dusty
Haulbikes.com

Offline MedicAndy

• Stable Companions:
  • Gosling
  • It's not always easy being me!
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2018, 08:02:57 AM »
I used "Motorcycle Shippers" to ship a bike I bought from San Fransisco, CA to Raleigh, NC. This bike was secured onto a metal pallet and shipped within an enclosed trailer. I really liked Motorcycle Shippers! I logged onto their website and received a free shipping quote within minutes. I then called and talked to someone within their customer service department to verify the quote, and that person was super helpful and friendly too.  I added a $9k insurance coverage to the shipping cost, and my total overall cost was still around $500.00 less then the best quote that I had received from uShip without the extra insurance added. And I'm not talking uShip down. I had four bikes shipped with them during the last three years, and it seems like that the quotes that I'm receiving from uShip lately have been pretty high. Their original shipping estimates before the quoting starts are usually around 30%-50% lower then the actual quotes I received.

Either way, the communication with Motorcycle Shippers was great too, and their shipment tracking system is true to time. I received the bike in perfect condition ten days after booking this shipment. It took a couple of days for the guy that I bought the bike from to be home for the shippers to pick this bike up. The bike was suppose to be delivered to my home, but I decided, after I was notified that the bike was in a warehouse only 20 minutes away from my home, to drive my truck to the warehouse on a Saturday morning to get the bike home that weekend. After all, getting a new bike to me is like Christmas morning, and I didn't want to wait another couple of days for this bike knowing that it was sitting in a warehouse only minutes away from my home. The warehouse operator was also very helpful and helped me load the new bike into my truck.

The actual shipping time from CA to NC was five days. I also loved the steel palled that my bike was strapped onto. Super secure and without compressing the suspension during the trip. I will definitely use them again for my next motorcycle shipment.

Go onto there website and get a free quote, I think that you will like them.

96 Suzuki GSX-R 1100W
95 MG 1100 Sport x 1
96 MG 1100 Sport x 2
97 MG 1100 Sport x 4

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2018, 08:59:02 AM »
Yup, 10-4 on Simon.

Best,
Rob

Hauled my EV twice plus took a co-worker's Harley along too.  Showed up to my apartment with a Guzzi shirt on!  Great guy!
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline Goose

• New Egg
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2019, 12:29:56 PM »
To me the main thing is trust - you've got to trust the person or company you use to haul. And it's forums like this that are a good resource for finding a reliable transporter. I frequent a couple similar forums and all of them seem to have a guy, which is awesome. I've shipped mine with an outfit called A1AutoTransport and they were on the up and up. No problems and I'd 100% use them again based on my experience with them prior. Fairly cheap and do the job right.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here