Author Topic: New Harley ad  (Read 4151 times)

oldbike54

Re: New Harley ad
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2020, 08:16:57 PM »
 <sigh>

Dusty

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2020, 08:33:02 PM »
Well, I watched the ads.

I realized that not only am I not going to be a NEW customer who is turned on by an electronic tart voice from a smartphone as part of an ad, I wasn't even an OLD customer complete with beanie and do-rag and an outlaw non-conformist uniform.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2020, 09:01:26 PM »
we are all friends here bound by our admiration for these bikes.
Blue Guzz

Offline Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2020, 07:52:41 AM »
1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
1998 Centauro "Psycho Chicken"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2020, 07:52:41 AM »

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2020, 11:39:51 AM »

When I graduated college with student loan debt I took care of my obligations and needs before i took care of my wants.  Bought my first house at 23 and rode a 10 year old motorcycle back and forth. 

Today I work with millennials who are responsible members of society.  They made the right choices and kept their student debt to a minimum by working while going to school and getting into the Co-op program which helped them gain experience in their field as well as provide income to help keep their debt in check. 

Millennials who are making poor choices are the ones struggling.  Millennials who don't have a strong work ethic are struggling.  Millenials who think they should have it all now are struggling. 

Ah yes, the old, "In my day, I walked ten miles through the snow to get to school" argument.  I also know that, "back in the day" student loans were dischargeable through bankruptcy as a last resort, unlike today.  There's a reason all these worthless "private" so-called colleges and tech-schools have sprung up to milk the unsuspecting and naive.  While I'm completely against a taxpayer bailout of student loan debt, I know the entire student loan "industry" (and that's what it is) is a scam on equal footing with pay-day loan stores.  Hell, who wouldn't loan money to someone knowing the loans are backed by the government (ie: the taxpayer). It becomes a zero risk loan for the lender.  A great deal for them, for the student, not so much. 

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2020, 11:42:03 AM »
Well, we're off the rails now anyway, and well into politics.  I trust the mod will step in and censor this entire discussion about the "new Harley ad"  :wink:

oldbike54

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2020, 11:46:08 AM »
Well, we're off the rails now anyway, and well into politics.  I trust the mod will step in and censor this entire discussion about the "new Harley ad"  :wink:

Thank you , have been waiting for someone else to recognize that fact . Anyone else ?

Dusty

Oh , and Lannis , I am a nice guy , but don't test me .

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2020, 12:16:07 PM »
Back on track, I did like the Harley ad.  To me, it spoke to the value of riding in general.  "If you don't ride, you don't know what your missing" kind of thing.  Thats important.  First, you've got to get new people on a bike, any bike.  Otherwise this whole thing becomes moot.  Teach new blood the fun, experience and value of riding, then the Harley dealers and salespeople can do their jobs of selling them on Harley Davidson. 

Offline cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2020, 01:45:44 PM »
Thank you , have been waiting for someone else to recognize that fact . Anyone else ?

Dusty

Oh , and Lannis , I am a nice guy , but don't test me .

I have the same perspective as well, but figured my groans wouldn't carry the same weight as yours, Dusty. 

The other forums I frequent don't have the endless moderation issues that seem common here.  Such topics/threads are waste of WG bandwidth and the money it takes to store it here.  IMHO, that's worth considering before posting.
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2020, 01:56:56 PM »
I don't know what other forums you visit?  Must be moderated by a bunch of Nuns! :azn:  I find most can be far worse than this one.  Go check out "the basement" on the ADV site.  I swear, some of those people are candidates for a rubber room.  I never visit it voluntarily, but on occasion get sucked in by the ADV search function.  It gets rough.   
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 01:57:24 PM by Motormike »

Offline blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2020, 03:23:18 PM »
this is a great site and very well moderated.  do i get a check for saying this?
Blue Guzz

Offline cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2020, 04:24:16 PM »
I don't know what other forums you visit?  Must be moderated by a bunch of Nuns! :azn:  I find most can be far worse than this one.  Go check out "the basement" on the ADV site.  I swear, some of those people are candidates for a rubber room.  I never visit it voluntarily, but on occasion get sucked in by the ADV search function.  It gets rough.
x

They're not nuns, I promise.  neither am I. There's also not a big disclaimer on those forums about what we can and cannot post/discuss.  Members get it, respect it, understand why they're there and go to the other forums when needed to go into the nether regions of what can be posted.     

Luap has posted very reasonable parameters and Dusty & Rocker59 generously moderate.  It's not hard to understand. Why make their life difficult and not appreciate what they're doing for us?  The MG content is great. My stones look great when I do a good job and then quit hitting them.  Pushing things too far always wreck them.  There's no reason to wreck WG just to make it like other forums that aren't WG.
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

stormshearon

« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2020, 04:38:34 PM »
I thought the ads were well done. I am not their target market, but I do hope that they do resonate at least a bit with the younger folks that Harley is trying to entice to the brand, and that some of those folks take the plunge and begin a life long love affair with motorcycles and motorcycling.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2020, 06:42:25 PM »
The thing I find interesting though is that the mods will let a liberal slanted comment slide, and only when someone counters that post do the mods step in and moderate.  Mmm. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

oldbike54

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2020, 06:50:12 PM »
The thing I find interesting though is that the mods will let a liberal slanted comment slide, and only when someone counters that post do the mods step in and moderate.  Mmm.

Nonsense , try using the report button , trust me , we don't play favorites .

Dusty

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2020, 06:54:11 PM »
How about those 1400 guzzis, ain’t they fine motorcycles 👍👍👍👍👍👍

Offline blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2020, 09:13:49 PM »
indeed, they are fine machines.  very fine machines. 
Blue Guzz

Offline John Croucher

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2020, 09:55:52 AM »
Two wheels move my soul.  Not a Brand Name.  Two of the 5 motorcycles in my garage were purchased with brand and style in mind. Moto Guzzi and Buell.  The other 3, they just ended up in the garage because they were cheap, in need of some work and a project to keep me busy.  A KZ1000 LTD all original always turns heads and starts a conversation.  A 1983 GPZ is big, red, fast, old school bad ass.  A ZRX1200, everyone wants a standard bike that is easy to ride with big power, no fancy ride control, just a throttle and brakes. 

Many bikes have came and gone over the years.  Recently had a huge Ultra Classic in the garage for a while.  It was too much bike for my 145 pound ass.  FJ1200, Too much bike for my 145 pound ass.

I have only been with out a motorcycle a few times since I was 12 y.o.  It was never because of money. 

I believe a major factor affecting the motorcycle rider is riding conditions.  Weather and climate.  Here in Southern Indiana the saying goes. "if you do not like the weather, stick around another day, it will change".  It is very unpredictable from day to day and year to year.  Cold, wet, rainy a large part of the year.  Who wants to invest in a motorcycle and walk past it most days?  When a cool car or truck that will protect you rain, sleet, snow, hot, cold and carry more than a 6 pack of craft beer?  No special riding gear or helmet required. 

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2020, 10:29:07 AM »
A recent study found that motorcycle ownership on a % of the population was the highest in the cold northern states. North Dakota was one of the highest. I don't remember seeing any kind of an explanation as to why this is.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline Siamese

• Gosling
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2020, 10:37:19 AM »
Harley's been singing the same song for a long time.  It was popular for awhile, but sooner or later, the public gets tired of hearing it and wants something new. 

Offline bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2020, 10:54:35 AM »
Here's another Harley add...

https://youtu.be/tdbt-sx5MDc

Ahh,A dance at the infamous "blue oyster club" Thats a classic! :thumb: :thumb:
Rick
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline kirby1923

• Gaggle Mentor
  • '81 CX100
  • Location: SoCal (rural) near Tehachapi CA, Rogers AR when in the states other times GMT+1 thu +6
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2020, 11:03:52 AM »
A recent study found that motorcycle ownership on a % of the population was the highest in the cold northern states. North Dakota was one of the highest. I don't remember seeing any kind of an explanation as to why this is.
kk

Low population.

:-)
'81 CX100

A calm and modest life brings more happiness than the constant pursuit of success combined with constant restlessness.. Einstein,A

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2020, 01:36:08 PM »

Low population.

Indeed.  California has the largest number of registered motorcycle by far.  I suspect the weather has something to do with it.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2020, 09:14:31 PM »
Harley's been singing the same song for a long time.  It was popular for awhile, but sooner or later, the public gets tired of hearing it and wants something new.

Funny you say that.  I bought my first Harley in 2016.  The new Softails are amazing compared to Harleys 4 years ago. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2020, 11:53:05 PM »

Low population.

Not total numbers, % of the population.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2020, 09:22:36 AM »
Loud pipes may save lives, but loud gear and women steer clear.

Steer clear is what I want others to do!
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline roadventure

• Gosling
  • There is no try; There is only do.
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2020, 09:41:19 AM »
It's about time....
dave
Millville, DE

"Moto Guzzi....you're never more than 500 miles from your nearest dealer"

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here