Author Topic: Rollerization  (Read 2501 times)

Offline TR5Trider

• New Egg
Rollerization
« on: March 10, 2020, 05:46:20 PM »
Understand this is an old topic but I have some questions. Before purchase of a low mileage '09 Stelvio I contacted a dealer as to the possibility of Piaggio supplying a "C" type kit (over $1100 retail) & was told that depending on the condition of the lifters (showing deterioration of DLC) it would be no problem for the dealer to obtain the kit free of charge and that the only cost to me would be installation labor. So far so good,  but 2.5 months pass and the dealer take pics of the lifters and sends when I ask for an update the dealer advises that although the lifters should qualify for replacement but at this time as he is having a conflict with Piaggio he is unable to proceed until their differences are settled. Meanwhile I am faced with how to circumnavigate the conflict and get the the type "C" roller kit free of charge if still possible.
There is no dealer in Louisiana so the bike is some hundreds of miles away and I shall not mention the names involved but the dealer's side of the tale sounds grim and if true then Piaggio is acting in a coercive manner. Does anyone have a suggestion of how to obtain the lifter kit? Has Piaggio changed their policy of making available  these kits when the wear on the lifters indicates failure? I feel the dealer's pain but that does nothing to get this bike repaired without the cost of the roller kit which was not factored into the deal.

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
Re: Rollerization
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 06:52:54 PM »
Your story seems to tell it can be an endless story. So search if there is a dealer  that can solve your problem. AF1 Racing in Austin maybe. But for a dealer it is not a very interesting job to do. If you have the pictures from the current dealer, then the new dealer doesn't have to take it apart before asking for a kit.

If the kit is not at the dealer, or in the USA, be aware that Italy is closed now so in state of panic, how long it takes to get things from there?
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Offline TR5Trider

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2020, 07:27:52 PM »
Paul, thanks for the response I'll try and retrieve the photos from the dealer first thing and as to the whereabouts of the kit required my first thought was that I saw in the news that Northern I talk was shut down because of the Kung Flu scare.

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 10:31:04 PM »
I was considering a non rollerized Griso last year (Aug or so) ... I spoke with Pro Italia in Southern CA about this and they said Piaggio may or may not provide a free kit, it wasn't a crisp yes/no thing. 

This was for a 2012 model, 7 years old at the time.  With an 09 Stelvio, now 11 years old, not sure if they have any sort of cut off for when they will stop doing these. 

I guess my only point is there does not seem to be a crisp formula and process.

For me, I passed on that Griso and ended up buying a brand new 2017, so I did not go with the beautiful Tenni Green 2012.

Good luck!  Hopefully the dealer can keep pushing for it.
2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota
Want a black/green 1000S big valve :)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 10:31:04 PM »

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 06:51:25 AM »
I had no luck and had to pay full boat on my Norge. Kind of like playing the slots.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 08:14:46 AM »
I
This was for a 2012 model, 7 years old at the time.  With an 09 Stelvio, now 11 years old, not sure if they have any sort of cut off for when they will stop doing these. 

I guess my only point is there does not seem to be a crisp formula and process.

Good luck!  Hopefully the dealer can keep pushing for it.

I've told my story about rollerizing my '09 many a time, so I won't repeat it all here, but you're exactly right .... There IS no crisp "process" because Moto Guzzi is Doing Wrong in not acknowledging the problem and making it right with their customers, and your chance of getting them to Do Right and send a kit is totally dependent on the perseverance and personal charm of the dealer on the phone with Piaggio.

Worked out for me because I had such a dealer ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Don G

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2020, 08:28:18 AM »
When I rollerizied my 09 Stelvio, I purchased the parts myself and installed myself, no whining, just bite the bullet and get it done.  DonG

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2020, 08:36:55 AM »
When I rollerizied my 09 Stelvio, I purchased the parts myself and installed myself, no whining, just bite the bullet and get it done.  DonG

I'll whine no end for getting a $1500 "C" kit for free instead of having to unbelt the cash myself ....  :thumb:

Lannis

Offline Don G

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2020, 08:41:45 AM »
I got my parts from TLM, if I remember correctly it was about $1100.00 CDN at the time. If I had gone through a dealer to have this done it would likely have cost me the same as the closest dealer was 2 provinces away, so travel there and back etc. would be about the same cost.  DonG

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2020, 11:30:57 AM »
Two people took different paths to rollerization ... two people tickled pink with the outcome.   Can't beat that!   :thumb:

Offline MGrego

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2020, 12:31:10 PM »
Back to the original post.  You purchased the bike with the understanding if the DLC showed wear you would receive a free cam upgrade kit.  The dealer acknowledged the bike should qualify for a free kit.  Whatever problem the dealer is having with Piaggio is not your concern.  The Dealer made a deal with You, the Dealer should provide you the kit, or refund you the amount the kit costs.

My 2 cents.

Offline TR5Trider

• New Egg
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2020, 05:14:37 PM »
I am aware that whining is unattractive ........... just to clarify that my deal/agreement with the original owner (not the dealer) was based on a price that the dealer quoted for the labor as he had previously done 6 of these updates without a hitch with Piaggio so he felt confident in stating that the lifter kit would be on Piaggio's tab. In the aforementioned conflict between dealer & Piaggio   the dealer advises that until this conflict is resolved he is unable to obtain the kit gratis. The dealer has offered no alternatives only that he would submit a request to Piaggio upon resolution of the conflict.

I have to believe the dealer has acted in good faith and that if another dealer (one that is not quarreling with Piaggio) the kit would likely be supplied and with that thought in mind I shall sniff around to see if I can find that dealer.  If unsuccessful  and I have to spend the additional $$$ I shall then start a whining thread, unless someone of you has another idea or has experience with a dealer  that may be disposed to make a request for the kit using pics I hope to retrieve from the dealer.

Thanks for your response.

Online Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2020, 07:43:31 PM »
Got my kit from TLM as well.  B kit? Can't remember now.  Around $700 U.S. a few years ago.

Offline TR5Trider

• New Egg
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2020, 05:07:16 PM »
Rollerization update:  dealer has submitted pics to Piaggio and now, hopefully, waiting for approval.

LesP

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2020, 05:27:47 PM »
Rollerization update:  dealer has submitted pics to Piaggio and now, hopefully, waiting for approval.

Good news to follow hopefully.
What is the meaning of this TR5T ?  :wink:

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2020, 08:23:11 AM »
First, I too have an '09 Stelvio. I have no regrets having gotten the repair done. The bike runs better than ever.

As to your current dilemma, considering the current state of things in Italy, you could be waiting for some time on a kit. You should consider that a dealer with a kit is not going to simply give it up for free. They likely had to purchase it themselves. Having said that, if it were me and I located a kit, I would bite the bullet and buy it right away. IF you ever get the authorization for a replacement, and could then obtain said replacement, then you would have a C  Kit to sell to someone else that needed it, and no, I'm not made of money.

Further, if you could source one right away, you can get the bike going sooner than later.

Just my 2 cents.

John Henry

edit: As time marches forward, they will only become more and more difficult to obtain, until they are completely gone.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 08:24:54 AM by Zoom Zoom »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2020, 08:59:25 AM »
Good news to follow hopefully.
What is the meaning of this TR5T ?  :wink:

I don't know the meaning of THIS TR5T, but a Triumph TR5T "Adventurer" is the only Triumph I've ever lusted after.

A nice 500cc Triumph twin engine in the light, handy frame that the BSA B50 500 single came in.  Successfully campaigned in the ISDT events in the 70s ....

Lannis
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 09:47:44 AM by Lannis »

LesP

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2020, 04:03:26 PM »
I don't know the meaning of THIS TR5T, but a Triumph TR5T "Adventurer" is the only Triumph I've ever lusted after.

A nice 500cc Triumph twin engine in the light, handy frame that the BSA B50 500 single came in.  Successfully campaigned in the ISDT events in the 70s ....

Lannis

I sold the better of my two (Trophy Trail) last week.
One owner from 1974 to 2012 and a whopping 2213 miles when it went on the truck.
The new owner (69 yo) had one back in the day and had been looking for one for some time, this one was not for sale but it went to a good home and will be ridden.

Next on the list for a new owner.

Offline TR5Trider

• New Egg
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2020, 11:08:57 PM »
No word from Piaggio yet, bike still at the dealer, I am anxiously waiting to hear some news. Meanwhile practicing social distancing on my Triumphs, gloves & full face helmet. Yes TR5T is for my Trophy Trail / Adventurer this a sweet ride here on the
rural roads of hill country Louisiana. Thank you all for your responses.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here