Author Topic: 7SM - California 1400 & V85tt  (Read 1566 times)

beetle

7SM - California 1400 & V85tt
« on: March 24, 2020, 12:34:45 AM »
Effective immediately, I'm announcing a moratorium on remapping of the California 1400 & V85tt.
Until further notice, I won't be providing maps for either model.

Thanks!

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
Re: 7SM - California 1400 & V85tt
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 05:01:47 PM »
BUT , I'm presently in the process of getting an Eldorado ( with kinda poor low speed running , at least on the roadtest ) and that was on the top of
my list for Go-To improvements . Don't be afraid to reconsider (PLEASE) .  Peter

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 05:51:48 PM »
I'LL buy one for my Audace.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline mondtster

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 07:02:39 PM »
That's disappointing to hear. Can you elaborate on why you won't be providing any work on these ECUs?

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 07:02:39 PM »

beetle

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 09:31:02 PM »
To date, I've had a 33% failure rate where the ECU has been "bricked", either by the user ignoring my advice, or due to unexpected software issues. Most ECU's were able to be recovered. One is still pending.

Whether it's due to user error, bad hardware, or bad Guzzi ECU software, I feel the failure rate is too high for me to comfortably continue.

Offline mondtster

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 09:44:57 PM »
To date, I've had a 33% failure rate where the ECU has been "bricked", either by the user ignoring my advice, or due to unexpected software issues. Most ECU's were able to be recovered. One is still pending.

Whether it's due to user error, bad hardware, or bad Guzzi ECU software, I feel the failure rate is too high for me to comfortably continue.

That's reasonable. I've successfully read the ECU in my V85 but have never tried flashing it. Do you have a California or V85 at your disposal to try flashing numerous times to narrow down where the trouble lies? I'd consider being a guinea pig if the ability to recover a bricked ECU is something I can do fairly easily.

If the flash is unsuccessful and the power to the ECU is not interrupted can you reflash with a known good file?

beetle

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 11:53:54 PM »
I have a "Cali-in-a-box". An entire wiring loom with ECU & dash. I used it to un-brick one ECU for a guy in NZ. Other times I've had to talk the user through recovery over FaceTime, or via email if they're computer savvy.

Saving a map is easy and has no repercussions due to disconnect or power issues. It's only during the write that failure may render your ECU "bricked". I have two ECU's and have written to them multiple times with my Cali-in-a-box. However, that's a carefully controlled lab situation.

If the flash is unsuccessful and the power to the ECU is not interrupted can you reflash with a known good file?

That would depend on the reason the write failed. Currently I'm helping an owner where I suspect the new map hasn't been completely written. Writing typically takes around 20 minutes, but this one is done in 10 minutes. That suggests the software is corrupted and can't be completely erased. Loading the original map results in the bike going into limp mode, with revs rising and falling without input, and no throttle function. Loading the new map results in a bike that can only accelerate, otherwise it backfires horribly.

A new ECU is around $2500 IIRC.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 12:17:40 AM by beetle »

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2020, 11:56:52 PM »

You would be very wise to read the existing file on the ECU before attempting to rewrite it with a new one.  Be aware that it takes about 20 minutes to download the map to your PC, but only about 4-5 minutes to upload the replacement one.

I've had little issues with the 7SM, both with a California 1400 (maps courtesy of Beetle) and updating the stock maps on the V85 GT a couple of times.  The first time on the V85 I got the triangle of death, not sure why, but resetting the learning parameters finally convinced it to behave.

Today, I uploaded the latest map for the V85, it went without a hitch.  Noticeable improvement in the lower throttle openings is my initial take.  Unfortunately we have all been ordered indoors for the next four weeks in Kiwiland in an attempt to thwart --19 from spreading.  Let's hope the sacrifice of staying at home is worth the wait.

beetle

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2020, 12:24:56 AM »
Also, anybody contemplating doing anything with their Cali or V85, please, please, please, save your eeprom file. The eeprom tool is available on the GuzziDiag download page.

And I would also reiterate, do not NOT use a VM (Windows running on a virtual machine on MacOS or Linux). Only use a genuine Windows computer.

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2020, 12:55:45 AM »
  Thanks for all your follow up responses . If you ever decide to take up the challenge again , I'd like to be on the list !
Peter

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here