Author Topic: Building the Perfect Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder  (Read 780 times)

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
Building the Perfect Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder
« on: June 05, 2020, 07:34:47 PM »
The guy that did the Porch Pirates Glitter Bomb https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_TSR_v07m0  did this for squirrels.  :grin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFZFjoX2cGg&feature=youtu.be&utm_source=GetTheElevatordotcom  It's amazing to watch the squirrels.  :shocked:
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 07:36:47 PM by Tom »
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Building the Perfect Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 08:10:08 PM »
 :thumb:

great stuff.  Bev puts Vaseline on the feeder poles.  We see the same in our yard.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 09:41:47 PM »
We've got four feeders, and have squirrel-proofed all of them.    But you can see them estimating the range for a jump from a tree, or climbing a bush and "having a look".

The most effective way is a tube-type feeder hung on a 20-foot wire from a tree branch, well away from the trunk, and about 6 feet off the ground.   They can't climb down it, and they can't hit it on a banzai leap ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2020, 10:09:04 PM »
Run a Slinky up the pole and then attach it at the top. It’s fun watching them climb that the first few times. If you leave the Slinky on too long, it will stretch out and the squirrels will be able to climb right up it.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2020, 10:09:04 PM »

Offline jrt

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2020, 10:49:14 PM »
Mine's been squirrel-proof for several years- I have a 6 foot fiberglass rod (1/2") on a mount off my deck.  The bird feeder hangs off the end.  It is not particularly near any trees (but they are growing closer).  I used 1/2" because I can make all the mounts and hangers from 1/2" copper and solder it together.

On the rod, I have three cola bottles that I drilled out the bottom and slid them on the rod.  Any squirrel that runs out there has to get past three rolling barriers.
It is simple, easy and easy to add more feed.
L-720
1973 Eldorado
2003 Yardbird (1100 hydro)
2020 R1250RS

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 02:36:06 AM »

Squirrels are VERBOTEN with Maimie on the job.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2020, 04:14:06 PM »
Turning squirrels into a protein source should lower the population too.   :evil:  :food: :food:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2020, 04:20:42 PM »
Turning squirrels into a protein source should lower the population too.   :evil:  :food: :food:

Not easy this time of year.   You get a sow carrying kits and the meat's kind of sharp ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2020, 04:33:41 PM »
Out of season.  Cull them later.  Braise & stew them.  Works with goat and free range chicken.  Use a green papaya as a squash.  The enzymes help to tenderize the meat and mellow the taste.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here