Author Topic: NGC: Triumph Motorcycles Seems To Be In Trouble  (Read 5894 times)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
Re: NGC: Triumph Motorcycles Seems To Be In Trouble
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2020, 02:47:13 PM »
What is that, and do they sell it in the US?  And, can I fit on it? 

Just researched it.  It is a KTM Duke 390 in Hasqvarna skin.  Not very good reviews on the components.  Budget items to meet a price point.  This is why my friend who never uses more than is available with the 390 Duke ended up buying the 1250 Duke GT.  He wanted all the high end components even though he won't use all the available power.  What is is paying for though, other than the higher price, is the higher insurance and registration fees that come with a more expensive motorcycle.

390?  Wrong photo I guess.  So sorry. 

This one.

I suppose you won't like this one either.  Gotta say, not my cup of tea.  Not exactly pretty.  Now that KTM 890 Duke seems pretty cool but would like to have little wind protection.  I'm pretty happy with my 939 Supersport.

John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2020, 03:52:26 PM »
Have seen that at Sturgis , it is the machine used to make assless chaps .

Dusty

No such thing as assless chaps.  Chaps by their very design protect the legs.  There were never any chaps with material to cover your behind.

Now assless jeans are a thing.  Seen young ladies walking around Daytona Beach with them.  Basically cut an oval around the back pockets. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2020, 03:55:34 PM »
390?  Wrong photo I guess.  So sorry. 

This one.

I suppose you won't like this one either.  Gotta say, not my cup of tea.  Not exactly pretty.  Now that KTM 890 Duke seems pretty cool but would like to have little wind protection.  I'm pretty happy with my 939 Supersport.

Same single that used to be in the 690 Duke.  Man was that bike like riding a paint shaker!  I couldn't find a smooth RPM!  I haven't tried the 790 twin, but I guess it was quickly usurped by the 890. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2020, 04:02:34 PM »
In Triumph's case they're not "allowing" production to all be done in Thailand, they specifically directed it to be so.

Motormike also makes one of the points in the video in that: "Triumph hasn't lowered the cost of the Thailand bikes to reflect the significant manufacturing cost savings."

There are several reasons and claims for this, too many to cover in a simple internet post. Some of the reasons and claims are valid and others are marketing spin. Much like 'sales price' isn't the "the" reason for lower bike sales, but it is simply 'one' of the reasons for lower bike sales. I work for a global company with manufacturing and sales infrastructure all over the globe. I understand the reasons, claims and the demands of various markets.

Triumph hurting shouldn't surprise anyone. As a whole, the entire North American motorcycle market is hurting. Sure there are success stories to be found. They need to be found and they need to be made known. Then also the root cause of the success should be applied and repeated as often as possible.

At some point it's simply up to the consumer to make the determination within themselves of what makes an "Italian" or a "British" motorcycle Italian or British. Plus every other available ethnic option. The name on the tank, the history, the symbolism, the ethnicity etc etc etc. The answer to all those is yes, to varying degrees in the mind of every buyer.

Motorcycles, in the US anyway, are emotional decisions carried out with disposable income. If the intangibles didn't matter, we'd all be riding the lowest cost bike possible that would simply get the job done. Then again maybe that's why Kymco and other Asian brands sells circles around Vespa.   

The fact that Royal Enfield recruited known and accomplished design firms to design the Himalayan, and the whole new modern plant with modern techniques, as well as getting the bugs worked out before going global is one of the reasons I considered that Indian made bike with a historic British name.  Knowing that they are all inspected upon arrival at Royal Enfield USA prior to going to dealers was another plus.  The price was icing on the cake knowing that it might cost me $1000 total to enjoy the bike for 3 or 4 years. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2020, 04:02:34 PM »

Online TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2020, 06:26:01 PM »
The fact that Royal Enfield recruited known and accomplished design firms to design the Himalayan, and the whole new modern plant with modern techniques, as well as getting the bugs worked out before going global is one of the reasons I considered that Indian made bike with a historic British name.  Knowing that they are all inspected upon arrival at Royal Enfield USA prior to going to dealers was another plus.  The price was icing on the cake knowing that it might cost me $1000 total to enjoy the bike for 3 or 4 years.

That's fantastic, congratulations.

Offline Demar

• Hooper drives the boat Chief.
  • Gaggle Hero
  • There's someone in my head but it's not me.
« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2020, 11:53:33 PM »
My 2010 T100 I bought new in June of 2011. I think it was $7999. Assembled in Thailand. I was told the tanks were still being hand painted in England at that time. Most all the other parts were sourced worldwide and assembled in Thailand. It's been a great bike and I get compliments on it every time I take it out. I liked it when I bought it and I still like it today and I'm glad to have it.

I'd much rather ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

2012 MG Stelvio NTX
2010 Bonneville T100
1953 Galletto 175

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2020, 09:31:23 AM »
Same single that used to be in the 690 Duke.  Man was that bike like riding a paint shaker!  I couldn't find a smooth RPM!  I haven't tried the 790 twin, but I guess it was quickly usurped by the 890.

Sure, they're all crap.  I wouldn't read a review, much less actually look at one.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 09:33:16 AM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline vf84pc

• Hatchling
« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2020, 10:45:35 AM »
John Bloor stated that his new Triumph had nothing in common with the original Triumph and he changed the logo. We were free to use the old Logo as long as we were associating it with the "Vintage Triumphs" not the new models. Now he claims the logo and his legal team threatens action against the the guys selling the T-shirts (Old Logo) associated with our vintage Triumph bikes. I contacted Triumph and complained and was told to visit a new Triumph dealer and buy an officially licensed lower quality new logo T-shirt for about $50.00  Since they told me (In a nice way) to pound salt I told them I would never purchase one of their products. I toured there UK factory, I wanted to purchase a Bonnie (At that time made in the UK) but it did not put a rise in Levi's like the Vintage units. But what I was going to buy was a Rocket 3 Touring. Instead I bought a used 04 California EV Touring and I am glad I did because riding it reminds me of my Bonnie (750CC) T140 especially with all the times it left me stranded and all the repairs I have done.
I've heard all the reasons for moving production: Asia Market, Competitive cost of the "Intro Bonnie Bike" Pound to dollar exchange rate, etc.
Honda and the other Japanese Motorcycle company's pay well and the workers enjoy a high standard of living as do Italians, Germans and Americans. But lets's call a spade a spade, Triumph is only there because Labor is cheep Thailand has lax labor and environmental standards. I have no doubt about the quality of the work and the product. However I find it insulting as a consumer that they want to play the "the British Bike" card when the product is made in Thailand.
Triumph didn't appreciate the vintage guys, they wanted new young riders but now they need us old dogs with money to buy bikes and we are not so interested in them.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here