Author Topic: Work in Progress (GC)  (Read 718 times)

Offline nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
Work in Progress (GC)
« on: July 19, 2020, 01:17:50 PM »
Hi Folks,
   I'm currently working on number 5 in my series of small, mostly Guzzi motorcycle books. It will be a while yet, but here's a snippet:

At the boundary between Lennox and Addington and Frontenac Counties, a small gravel parking area extends from the road towards the edge of one of the small lakes. I suspect it was made so that snow ploughs could turn around at the county line, but it provides a convenient spot to stop, water the vegetation and see if anything is moving in the lake. Nothing was moving, although I could hear frogs taunting me – going silent as I approached the water then resuming their chirps as I walked away.

Just as I was about to leave again, two white objects caught my eye so I wandered over to take a look. They were the skulls of two small carnivores – probably raccoons – and someone had collected them and placed them on a low bank close to the water’s edge. Why? Who knows?……..People are odd!

I drifted slowly through the little village of Arden (‘A picturesque village nestled in a valley between three lakes’), wondering what people found to do with themselves in these small out-of-the-way communities. The nearest town of any size (Perth, pop 6,000) is forty miles away – a forty-five minute commute - even if you could find some kind of a job there. Only a year ago one of the town’s biggest employers shut down, throwing four hundred people out of work. It’s a familiar tale: the large multi-national chose to move the work south of the border rather than upgrade the existing plant. The incomes, livelihoods and well-being of the employees were sacrificed on the altar of business expediency, with little concern that it was eating the heart out of the town.

Arden’s scattering of mostly small, frame, aluminum-sided  houses certainly doesn’t stir one’s aesthetic senses and is a long way short of the rather over-zealous description on the village’s web site which I quoted above. Many of the houses are square, single level boxes, put together with two-by-four sticks, a bit of plywood or aspenite and the cheapest hardware store materials. Those on the lake side – Big Clear Lake is by far the largest of the ‘three’ – may have started life as seasonal cottages, although there was every appearance that many of them were now year-round dwellings. Those away from the lake simply offered basic shelter.

Perhaps my expectations have been jaundiced by watching too many episodes of ‘Escape to the County’ – a British television show which explores houses for sale in the rural UK. Most of the houses they examine are simply wonderful: up-market, characterful old farmhouses full of ancient beams, massive inglenook fireplaces, with thatched roofs and the resonance of hundreds of years of lives lived comfortably and well. They rarely show the unappealingly cramped hovels which housed farm labourers, unless three or four of them have been knocked together and renovated to produce something more opulent, and they never show the ghastly hillsides of industrial red-brick terraces which are the dirty underbelly of the British landscape. Nevertheless, I’d watched enough that the lens I was viewing Arden through was hardly unprejudiced. Perhaps, once four or five hundred years have passed, and Arden has had the chance to get well and truly established, and some more robust and appealing buildings have been erected, it will have a little more curb appeal. As it was, I was happy to roll on by.

A few miles later, I was humming along the Crow Lake Road when the green, mossy back of a large Snapping Turtle brought me to a standstill. The big old girl had dug her rear end in to the soft, loose gravel at the edge of the road and was in the middle of laying a fine snack for the local skunks and raccoons. Snapping turtles are well known for their feisty attitude, their lightning quick strikes and their amazingly long necks, which allow them to reach almost to their back legs. Woe betide the good Samaritan who tries to rescue one from the road by picking it up at the mid-point of the shell. I had no such intensions, and left her to her business, wondering if any of her eggs would actually escape the furry egg-diggers, hatch, and make it back into the bottom of the swamp. I hope so. It always saddens me to see large snappers killed on the road on their way too or from egg laying. With their slow growth and late sexual maturity, there’s a good chance that any Snapping Turtle you see is at least twenty years old, and the big girls could easily be as old as me.  By the way, while it may be tempting to try and help a turtle across the road by carrying it by its prehistoric-looking tail, please don’t. You’re almost certain to cause it spine damage and accelerate its death. A shovel under the belly, or grabbing it with both hands by the rear of the shell in the hollow just above the rear legs, are the ‘approved’ and safest methods.

At the little hamlet of Crow Lake, I pulled off the road and parked near the public boat dock, ignoring the sign saying it was closed because of --19. The sign made no sense to me – I had no intensions of handling anything and there was nobody around to cough on, even if I had been carrying the infection. Crow Lake is about three miles long and connects to the much larger Bob’s Lake at its southern end. It was a still, perfect June day – sunny, but not too hot, so I sat comfortably looking down the long arm of the lake, enjoying the quiet for a few minutes. Eventually, a slight movement in the shallows attracted my attention to an elegant Water Snake, working his way around the coast, presumably hunting frogs or small fish, his banded brown body fully visible in the clear water.

Some people have an irrational fear of snakes which makes no sense to me. Only a few weeks before, while hiking, I’d met a woman who wouldn’t even look at a perfectly harmless Rat Snake sunning itself on a rock. She was terrified to know that it was even in the vicinity. I can’t grasp what she imagined it might do to her. Launch itself at her throat? Crawl up her leg? Bite her on the backside? As I said – people are odd. 
The little Water Snake was minding his own business and didn’t seem to have any plans to launch himself out of the water at me, so I left him to it, fired up the 750s and headed east.

So far this had turned out to be a bit of a nature day, so I  contentedly ambled along scanning the sky, bushes and meadows for other signs of life. Years ago, while driving the family down this same road, we’d seen a black bear quietly sitting in a field picking wild strawberries, and every time I’ve been along that same stretch of road since, I’ve always harbored the hope that he would be there again. So far I’ve been unlucky, but one of these days………..well, you never know.

Nick

Offline bikeridertim

• Gosling
  • Just ride it!
Re: Work in Progress (GC)
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2020, 01:32:55 PM »
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
2017 MOTO GUZZI MGX-21
1999 MOTO GUZZI EV11
1973 MOTO GUZZI ELDORODO
MGNOC L-201
AMA LIFE MEMBER 543509
IRON BUTT 12038

We struggle our whole lives so that we don’t have to struggle.  Huzo

Offline ampm7

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2020, 02:28:23 PM »
Nick, fantastic!
1970 Moto Guzzi Ambassador, 1998 EV, Honda 1972 850 Ambassador, 2022 Indian Super Chief Limited

Offline geoff in almonte

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2020, 06:30:30 PM »
Hey Nick

I enjoyed the little snippet about Crow Lake - I had ridden that road just last week - you'll be pleased to know that it has been resurfaced from Sharbot Lake to Crow lake village.  Nice bendy stretch of road.

Cheers!

Geoff
Midnight bugs taste best

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2020, 06:30:30 PM »

oldbike54

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2020, 06:36:45 PM »
 That made me smile Nick old man , thanks  :bow:

Dusty

Online Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2020, 07:46:21 PM »
 :thumb:
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Offline smdl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2020, 12:53:46 AM »
Thanks, Nick.  I enjoyed that!

Shaun
'74 Eldorado Civilian
'17 V7 III Stone
'21 Aprilia Tuono 660
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore
'22 V85TT Guardia D'Onore (Yep, two)

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2020, 10:21:33 AM »
     Nick,     Very well written, I've read it a few times.

You remind me of John Prine, simple words, vivid pictures. :thumb:

You've got such a nice relaxed flow to your voice, not a wasted word.  :bow:

I will burst your serene little bubble on the water snakes though. lol

I've only been around a few of them, but they can be very territorial if you happen to be sitting on their favorite sunning rock. I've seen them puff right up and hiss and dance around just like the cobras in the movies.

Tks for sharing

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2020, 04:09:44 PM »
I enjoy nicks books when I travel on a bike.  They are small enough to toss in my tank bag, and a good read on a two to three day ride. 

Offline nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2020, 04:54:03 PM »

Thanks folks, for all the nice comments and support.  It encourages me to keep going.

And if you prefer to listen, rather than read, they're all available in snotty Brit-speak too.

Nick

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2020, 02:03:01 PM »
Attaboy, Nick.. :thumb:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here