Author Topic: ‘98 EV Fuel Leak, Return?  (Read 705 times)

Offline Italianmotofest

• New Egg
    • Mid-Atlantic Italian Motorcycle Festival
‘98 EV Fuel Leak, Return?
« on: July 27, 2020, 10:51:31 AM »

I have a hose that has a small hole worn through. It at the front of the fuel tank. Behind the steering stem. I’m guessing it is a return line. I’m not sure.

This leak is right near the hose fitting that connects to the tank. From what I see it appears as though this hose fitting is permanently attached to the hose and it screws onto the tank fitting.

I looked at the parts diagram but it really doesn’t show me.

If anybody can confirm this, please let me know.

And what course of action should I take to fix this? Just a piece of hose? Or do I need to order it?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill
Bill

Some might say that you are just too much.
Those are not your people!

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Re: ‘98 EV Fuel Leak, Return?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 11:29:59 AM »
Hi Bill,

That is the return line. Most likely the hose has shrunk from age and the crimped alloy band is no longer holding it tight. You may be able to just remove the crimped alloy band, cut it shorter (if there's enough length) and replace it with a "fuel injection" clamp from the auto parts.

Depending on how old the hoses are on the bike (original?) it might be best to replace it (along with all of the others).
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 11:31:41 AM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 11:35:12 AM »
What Charlie said.

It sounds like you are talking about the larger fuel return hose. It may be time to replace the entire hose. Use fuel injection pressure rated hose, and fuel pressure rated clamps. You may need to find a way to cut off the original crimps without damaging the metal lines inside them.

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 12:03:29 PM »
Yes, it is the return flow hose. So, it is not under any serious hydraulic pressure.  It has crimped fittings at both ends, so it might be worth replacing rather than rebuilding.  There is a smaller, clamped hose nearby which is for vapor recovery.

You want:  GU30108770
Harper and AF1 have it or can get it.

Patrick  Hayes
Fremont CA

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 12:03:29 PM »

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 12:07:47 PM »
What Charlie said.

It sounds like you are talking about the larger fuel return hose. It may be time to replace the entire hose. Use fuel injection pressure rated hose, and fuel pressure rated clamps. You may need to find a way to cut off the original crimps without damaging the metal lines inside them.

Cutting the crimps off is fairly easy with a hacksaw or Dremel with a cutoff wheel. Make the cut diagonally and then peel the crimp open and off with a flat-blade screwdriver. Best done with the hose off and fitting in a vise, of course. Even though it has fittings at both ends, it still isn't difficult to replace just the hose and reuse the fittings.
Charlie

Offline Italianmotofest

• New Egg
    • Mid-Atlantic Italian Motorcycle Festival
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2020, 01:01:12 PM »

Thank you guys so very much. I’ll take another look when possible. And plan from there.

It does make sense to replace all the hoses. But perhaps a quick fix until the off season.

You guys are awesome!

Bill
Bill

Some might say that you are just too much.
Those are not your people!

Offline ivantheterrible

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2020, 02:15:54 PM »
I just ordered that hose from Harpers 15 minutes ago. No leak that I was aware of but a whole lot of cracking. If you plan on just cutting some off the end and reattaching, you might want to give the length of the hose a once over. Not easy to do without taking off the tank but still.....

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2020, 02:25:12 PM »
It does make sense to replace all the hoses.

Look especially at the last three hoses in the delivery system.  Three, short ones.  There is an aluminum "Y" splitter under the tank.  It is #27 in the above diagram.  There is a short input hose to the splitter and two output hoses, one going to each injector.  Those three pieces were assembled in a different part of the factory and used a different composition of hose material.  Bad juju.  Those three split like crazy and they are under pump pressure.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2020, 03:56:35 PM »
One of my least favorite jobs to do on any Guzzi, regardless of age or displacement, is replacing all of the fuel injection hoses on the California series bikes. PITA and very time consuming, the customer always wonders what took me so long.
Charlie

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here