Author Topic: Some things we stay away from on WG  (Read 6236 times)

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Some things we stay away from on WG
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2020, 10:05:54 AM »
This isn't open for debate .

Dusty

👍
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Offline flower_king001

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2020, 10:43:14 AM »
This isn't open for debate .

Dusty

:bow:
Current Fleet

1971 BMW R90/5
1986 Moto Guzzi Lemans IV 1000
1998 Moto Guzzi 1100 EV
2005 BMW 1200 RT
2007 BMW 1200 GS
2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100

Online tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2020, 10:59:54 AM »
I'd rather have my short hairs set on fire than attempt to accomplish a moderator's task. Whether they volunteer or acquiesce to Luap's request to them for help, it's a task few are lining up to take on. Least of all, me.
RESPECT

What I do see is, when a mod is actively involved in posts, the bear pokers spring into action. Every mod word is scrutinized by us experts. Must be human nature to hold that mirror up in someone's face.
Mods are as imperfect as that fu%k!ng cop who gave you that speeding ticket when you weren't the only one hauling ass through that school zone! :thewife:

That said, I wonder if the silent hammer approach might be better.
You know, a moderator with little to no personal input on forum subjects, just a swift silent hammer coming down when things get nuts. And of course it's his call when they do. I know this isn't fair to the mod either, as they might have as interesting a viewpoint to express as any of us. I just think you can be too close or passionate about a subject to be as objective as possible. Also, the more you put yourself out there, the greater the risk for misinterpretation.

Don't get me wrong about all this, Dusty is one of the last persons whose input I'd want to lose and I'm sure he's much more interesting than I am! (though he was funnier before the mod thing.  :wink:).

Sometimes you don't know what you had 'till it's gone...
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2020, 12:20:35 PM »
 I was one of two moderators in the early 2000's on the most popular GM vintage truck site. This was during and after the 2000 election....
   The site owner felt adults could discuss anything and learn from their differences....The Friday night fights as I called it got very harsh with brutal language and threats.This was over politics God, money or the best dogs .Without a doubt more people logged than any other time, it was like a train wreck .As always, the most vocal think they own the place and it's their right not to be censored. Ban the worst of them and they came back with a different name .Ban the IP address and they came back from a different location... Finally after a year or so the owner banned all off topic discussions.. After awhile it did work but just old truck talk became boring...I moved on after a few years... It wasn't a hard job like sorting bobcats, but the knuckleheads  were frustrating if you take it too seriously.
  I met in person some of the most troublesome guys on the site at truck meets and to the man, we got along just fine.
  Some are just like Jeckle and Hyde once they get on the keyboard...
 If you like bikes and fights, the AdvRider political forum is a mud pit

« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 12:22:18 PM by Rough Edge racing »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2020, 12:20:35 PM »

Online john fish

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2020, 02:52:33 PM »

If you like bikes and fights, the AdvRider political forum is a mud pit

That's an excellent point.  Folks can argue all they want on ADVRIDER.com:

https://advrider.com/f/forums/church-state-money.49/

Plenty of Guzzisti over there.  They take no prisoners, however, so put on your battle panties and have a go.
He lost the run of himself.

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #65 on: December 22, 2020, 03:24:41 PM »
 The arguements on ADV can be like school boys wth a bunch of guys ganging up on someone with a different opinion. The several Moderators also join in on the bullying....
   I think what's here is generally a better way for people who actually have an interest in bikes

Offline DaveJT

• Hatchling
« Reply #66 on: December 22, 2020, 05:30:20 PM »
That's an excellent point.  Folks can argue all they want on ADVRIDER.com:

https://advrider.com/f/forums/church-state-money.49/

Plenty of Guzzisti over there.  They take no prisoners, however, so put on your battle panties and have a go.

Oh man, my battle panties are at the tailors, had to let them out an inch.
2000 Jackal

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #67 on: December 22, 2020, 05:47:40 PM »
I owned and moderated the Loopframe Guzzi forum on Topica, then Yahoo, for over a decade. In all of that time, the ban hammer only fell twice. Now, I moderate the Loopframe Guzzi group on Facebook - I occasionally remove posts when folks get a bit too grouchy, but over all everyone behaves very well. "Loopers" are just different I guess.
Charlie

Online john fish

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: December 22, 2020, 06:32:48 PM »
Oh man, my battle panties are at the tailors, had to let them out an inch.

:grin:  Man, that's nothing.  My Aerostich shrunk and now won't zip up.  They should warn you when you buy them that Cordura shrinks right up after a while.  And my battle panties are going to be a thong if I keep getting fatter.

Bert Remington

« Reply #69 on: December 22, 2020, 07:01:01 PM »
JF -- Aerostich has suit solution you need: https://www.aerostich.com/gear-xpander-wash.html  Works a treat! :laugh:

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2020, 07:05:23 PM »

Taking sides with Lannis???? :grin: :grin: :grin:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Online john fish

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: December 22, 2020, 07:05:47 PM »
JF -- Aerostich has suit solution you need: https://www.aerostich.com/gear-xpander-wash.html  Works a treat! :laugh:

Thanks Bert!  That's a 5 ounce bottle.  By my crude calculations, I'm going to need about. . . 6 gallons.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: December 22, 2020, 07:42:23 PM »

Taking sides with Lannis???? :grin: :grin: :grin:

Will you stop it?  All I need is to keep getting shot by friendly fire ....  :sad:  :sad:  :wink:
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #73 on: December 23, 2020, 04:56:54 AM »
Will you stop it?  All I need is to keep getting shot by friendly fire ....  :sad:  :sad:  :wink:

:thumb:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline philwarner

• Gosling
« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2020, 04:34:17 PM »
... if a topic is suitable for a campfire discussion at a rally it will be alright on the board. Is a topic interesting to other members , is it educational , does it stir memories ?
 Dusty

That did stir a memory for me, Dusty.  A group working on the outdoor drama Tecumseh in it's opening year were gathered around an actual campfire one evening after the show when two guys got into a back and forth relating their motorcycle adventures with each coming up with ever more elaborate stories to top the last one culminating in one saying, "Well I jumped on my Hog at midnight and rode 36 hours straight through rain and sleet in freezing weather to help out a sick buddy...", and in the ensuing pause as the other guy tried to think of a topper to that claim, a little guy who had been listening to all these escalating adventure stories said quietly, "I rented a Honda 50 for an afternoon once."  We all nearly fell off our logs laughing at this perfect put down for the two braggarts.
1996 California 1100 carb
in Northwest Arkansas

oldbike54

« Reply #75 on: December 30, 2020, 04:48:49 PM »
  :laugh: That's funny Phil  :bow:

Dusty

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #76 on: December 30, 2020, 05:22:41 PM »
That did stir a memory for me, Dusty.  A group working on the outdoor drama Tecumseh in it's opening year were gathered around an actual campfire one evening after the show when two guys got into a back and forth relating their motorcycle adventures with each coming up with ever more elaborate stories to top the last one culminating in one saying, "Well I jumped on my Hog at midnight and rode 36 hours straight through rain and sleet in freezing weather to help out a sick buddy...", and in the ensuing pause as the other guy tried to think of a topper to that claim, a little guy who had been listening to all these escalating adventure stories said quietly, "I rented a Honda 50 for an afternoon once."  We all nearly fell off our logs laughing at this perfect put down for the two braggarts.

:laugh:

"Subtle" is an art form.

I've always found that being "dense" is a good way to keep from being offended.

As the comedian said "I still rely on my personality as my primary form of birth control."

As a yute, i learned from the old timers that if someone "gets under your skin" or "rattles your cage," one of the best offenses (defenses?) is to not give them the satisfaction of seeing you get upset.  Letting them see you are upset, only encourages to continue their tactics.

One of my wife's former co-workers was a guy named Arvid.  I'm sure Lannis knows him.  From my wife's stories, I knew he was a wise guy.  For the next 30+ years, whenever I met him, I always addressed him as "Alvin."  He never once acknowledged my intended slight.  I'm not giving up yet.  Maybe one day......

« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 05:40:51 PM by SIR REAL ED »
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #77 on: December 30, 2020, 05:39:22 PM »
One of my wife's former co-workers was a guy named Arvid.  I sure Lannis knows him.  From my wife's stories, I knew he was a wise guy.  For the next 30+ years, whenever I met him, I always addressed him as "Alvin."  He never once acknowledged my intended slight.  I'm not giving up yet.  Maybe one day......

Arvid H. had a pretty dry sense of humor.   Speaking as someone personally who has a name that no one has ever heard before and so translates it to "Linus" or "Landis" or something they think it might be, Arvid probably thought you just didn't know his real name, but he had corrected people so many times in his life he just let it go .... No harm if casual acquaintances want to call you something that's easier for them .... !   :thumb:

Lannis

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #78 on: December 30, 2020, 05:43:36 PM »
Arvid H. had a pretty dry sense of humor.   Speaking as someone personally who has a name that no one has ever heard before and so translates it to "Linus" or "Landis" or something they think it might be, Arvid probably thought you just didn't know his real name, but he had corrected people so many times in his life he just let it go .... No harm if casual acquaintances want to call you something that's easier for them .... !   :thumb:

Lannis

Larry,

Oh I assure you, Arvid knows I am screwing with him.  He's just determined to "win."  Jo Ann also enjoys the game.

One day, talking to a common friend and co-worker.
Me:  "I just saw Arvid."
Him: "Arvid H_____?"
Me: "How many Arvid's do you know?"
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 05:46:03 PM by SIR REAL ED »
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline larrys

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #79 on: December 31, 2020, 08:06:38 AM »

"Subtle" is an art form.

I've always found that being "dense" is a good way to keep from being offended.

As the comedian said "I still rely on my personality as my primary form of birth control."

As a yute, i learned from the old timers that if someone "gets under your skin" or "rattles your cage," one of the best offenses (defenses?) is to not give them the satisfaction of seeing you get upset.  Letting them see you are upset, only encourages to continue their tactics.

When I worked at the submarine factory, we called guys like that button pushers. I once had the misfortune to be transferred to a whole crew of 'em. Even Harold the foreman was one. They had a game that they called Crack. The one rule of the game was, "He who calls names first loses the game." One of 'em would needle some poor sap working in their area til the guy would lose his cool and call the needler a few choice names. When there was nobody else around to screw with they would turn on each other like starving wolves. I learned quickly not to let any of them know when they had pushed my button... Was actually good training for the profession that I work in today.
Larry
'13 Monster 1100 EVO
'95 Cal 1100
'68 Bonneville

MGNOC 7248

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #80 on: December 31, 2020, 09:37:57 AM »
When I worked at the submarine factory, we called guys like that button pushers. I once had the misfortune to be transferred to a whole crew of 'em. Even Harold the foreman was one. They had a game that they called Crack. The one rule of the game was, "He who calls names first loses the game." One of 'em would needle some poor sap working in their area til the guy would lose his cool and call the needler a few choice names. When there was nobody else around to screw with they would turn on each other like starving wolves. I learned quickly not to let any of them know when they had pushed my button... Was actually good training for the profession that I work in today.
Larry

Stories from the old timers about what life was like before whining about one's butthurt became a badge of intellectual honor and sophistication are excellent IMO.

When you are in your single digits, or your teen years, and the 40, 50, 60, 70, or 80 somethings you are working along side, start screwing with your head, to see if they make you "lose it," is, IMO some of the best life preparation ever invented.

No wonder so many yutes today are perpetually "wounded."

No one told them in their formative years "You're offended by what he said?  It's Called Free Speech, get over it!  What time is your Mommy coming to pick you up?  Grow the Hell up or I'll give you something to whine about!"

That and the fact that some many people come from small families is why many are hyper-sensitive.  They didn't have multiple siblings to torment them during their formative years.

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

oldbike54

« Reply #81 on: December 31, 2020, 11:53:40 AM »
 Actually that isn't called free speech ,it's called being a verbal bully . If your goal is to make others feel small ....

Dusty

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #82 on: December 31, 2020, 01:20:26 PM »
I learned from oldtimers not to tolerate shit in the workplace any more than at home.

Naturally, that goes for the talk as much as for orderliness.

Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #83 on: December 31, 2020, 05:23:55 PM »
Actually that isn't called free speech ,it's called being a verbal bully . If your goal is to make others feel small ....

Dusty

I agree.  That is the big problem with the internet, people don't do well with interpretation in the absence of face-to-face body language, voice tones, and facial expressions.  With all that information missing, the receiver fills it in with their imagination.

I've yet to see any bullying here, so you must be doing a good job at scrubbing it and discouraging it.

Other forums...... Fred posts "Roses are red!" and out of 50 people, six of them can find six different offensive interpretations.

The beauty of an infinite number of Private Idaho's!   :grin:

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Online john fish

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #84 on: December 31, 2020, 05:32:14 PM »
I learned from oldtimers not to tolerate shit in the workplace any more than at home.

Naturally, that goes for the talk as much as for orderliness.

Yep.  Too many "snowflakes" can't take getting called out for being jerks.

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #85 on: December 31, 2020, 08:13:23 PM »
I’m a relatively new member and joined to learn about my Moto Guzzi.  I’ve stayed because it has become my haven from our partisan world.  My thanks to the moderators and posters and best wishes to everyone.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #86 on: December 31, 2020, 09:36:51 PM »
I’m a relatively new member and joined to learn about my Moto Guzzi.  I’ve stayed because it has become my haven from our partisan world.  My thanks to the moderators and posters and best wishes to everyone.

Welcome to the madness! There used to be a Guzzi dealer in Denham Springs. Owned by Ed Thompson ,good guy. closed in the ‘90s. I bought a brand new Cal 2 there in ‘84 when I was stationed at Barksdale AFB near Shreveport. This forum is great for the accumulated knowledge and the no politics or religion  rule has showed it’s wisdom many times.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #87 on: December 31, 2020, 09:38:49 PM »

Yep.  It's a good crew here.  Great sources of information and humor.

2019 Beta EVO 250
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #88 on: December 31, 2020, 11:14:16 PM »

Welcome to the madness! There used to be a Guzzi dealer in Denham Springs. Owned by Ed Thompson ,good guy. closed in the ‘90s. I bought a brand new Cal 2 there in ‘84 when I was stationed at Barksdale AFB near Shreveport. This forum is great for the accumulated knowledge and the no politics or religion  rule has showed it’s wisdom many times.

Never mind the reference to Louisiana, I miss read your location . Happy new year!
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #89 on: January 01, 2021, 08:15:10 AM »

Stories from the old timers about what life was like before whining about one's butthurt became a badge of intellectual honor and sophistication are excellent IMO.

One thing that some lists have that reduces the moderator workload considerably is to have folks fill out this form if necessary:

Lannis

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here