Author Topic: Getting ready to purge motorcycles and parts  (Read 912 times)

Offline LaMojo

• New Egg
Getting ready to purge motorcycles and parts
« on: April 24, 2021, 01:10:52 PM »
Is Craig’s list a good alternative to the MGNOC ads?

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Getting ready to purge motorcycles and parts
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2021, 01:18:23 PM »
IMHO neither is good in my opinion. Very little traffic on them. I don't even bother with CL anymore

I've had good luck on a certain Adventure site and FBMP. Both are free and both get a ton of traffic.

The biggest thing is you cannot let emotional attachment drive the value. Sometimes you'll find that what you consider treasure the rest of the world considers its junk.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 02:43:35 PM by Perazzimx14 »
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline jcctx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2021, 02:21:53 PM »
If you find one that works, let me know. Need to clean out the barn myself!!
 Hope all is well with you and yours!

Joe

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2021, 03:14:50 PM »
 Try all.  Just get ready to weed out the scammers.  Check out the replies.  Tell them to reply with Name, phone number, location and email address.  If no reply with those requirements.  Dump their replies.  Verify their info.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2021, 03:14:50 PM »

Offline JohninVT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 05:00:54 AM »
It really depends on the bike.  I’ve had great luck buying and selling on the ADV site previously mentioned.  Facebook Marketplace makes CL seem like Barrett-Jackson.  It’s just the worst. 

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021, 05:12:40 AM »
As noted by others it all depends. I've had good luck with CL and eBay for mainstream items like riding gear and universal accessories. I also sold my V7 III through a CL ad but the reach is more limited.

eBay has the advantage of a national reach but at a higher cost than CL. Have to watch the fees and more than one buyer I've had has not paid so I've had to relist.

If something very specific than the special interest sites like MGNOC, ADV Rider and ever our own Swap Meet are worth trying. The downside with this is that they will be more knowledgeable buyers who may not be as willing to pay top dollar.

My suggestion is the shotgun approach and cross-post things in multiple places. Keep a list of what is where so when something does sell you remember to remove them from the other sites. Good luck!
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2021, 05:37:55 AM »
     Good sales platforms are a very regional thing, up here in Canada, CL is basically dead, Kijiji has always ruled the roost; but over the last few years when I've had to sell stuff, I've seen the power of FB marketplace blow Kijiji out of the water with at least a 10 or 20 to 1 difference in volume of expressed interest.

Locally, FB marketplace allows me to verify to a certain degree that interested buyers are real people and not some computer generated fraudster mining for info and victims.

The difficult part with specialized items like old bike parts is to get your ad in front of buyers that are interested, have a need for them and hopefully will be willing to pay close to what they are worth.

I think that Mike Skagg's MG bikes and parts page on FB is a pretty well run page, and possibly a "local to you" vintage bike forum might be good places to start, as well as the classified swap meet section here;

ps a good broom to sweep the cobwebs and a crowbar to pry the dollars out of the wallets of interested thrifty guzzzisti are handy sales tools

:laugh:  :evil: :laugh:
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 07:39:17 AM by 80CX100 »
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2021, 06:24:55 AM »
I get a lot of 'inquiries' from Facebook Market Place, but no sales. Some luck with Craigslist, but most of what I sell for the various cars and motorcycle parts has been on a forum. I sold my MGX here on WG, and a ton of parts here and on ADV.

Would you happen to have a Griso tank, fender and tail piece in Red? ;-)
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline LaMojo

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2021, 03:32:06 PM »
I get a lot of 'inquiries' from Facebook Market Place, but no sales. Some luck with Craigslist, but most of what I sell for the various cars and motorcycle parts has been on a forum. I sold my MGX here on WG, and a ton of parts here and on ADV.

Would you happen to have a Griso tank, fender and tail piece in Red? ;-)

Thanks for your advice. Sorry but no Griso parts

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here