Author Topic: Would you miss it?  (Read 1298 times)

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
Re: Would you miss it?
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2021, 07:58:06 AM »
I’m getting the feeling from ready all the responses that it’s possible that the ones that really want a tach could be out of habit more than necessity, could this be the case?
Please keep in mind that I’m in no way knocking or belittling the use of said instrument, I just realized that after years of having one then Sufi not having one, I simply don’t miss it. I can probably say that if I was buying a new bike snd would save a few bucks by not having one, I’d be tempted to not. However I am a penny pincher by nature 😂

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2021, 08:01:34 AM »
If you’re only going to have a speedometer, doesn’t it make sense to put it in the center of the handlebars above the headlight rather than off-center? As a designer and motorcyclist, that’s common sense but I guess common sense is not common anymore.
My speedometer is in the middle of my Stone Willow as well as every other speedometer only bike I’ve ever seen?

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2021, 08:05:25 AM »
My speedometer is in the middle of my Stone Willow as well as every other speedometer only bike I’ve ever seen?

EDIT - come to think of it the clock itself is offset on CARCs too - right at least the Griso I just looked at.

Let's see if I can find others.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 08:08:04 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2021, 08:09:34 AM »
My 02 Stone is the only bike I’ve had since my adult riding years, that did not have a tachometer.
Personally I’ve never made much use of a tach as I don’t change gears whether in a race situation or just tooling along. I’ve always changed by ear and feel and knowing when the motor had given all it had to offer by sound and feel. There does come the point when a few more RPMs can be counterproductive.
Just wonderingly your thoughts on the subject?

totally agree.  you have to ride by feel.  I don't own a motorcycle that doesn't flatten power prior to redline. I suppose if I did and raced it, then a tach would matter.  But I do enjoy watching the tach on occasion.  All my cars are sticks as well.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2021, 08:09:34 AM »

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2021, 08:10:16 AM »
Well, color me wrong on that assumption🤔
Thanks for the correction fellas👍
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 08:12:28 AM by Ncdan »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2021, 08:22:34 AM »

Just going through photos...

How about the white Royal Enfield, that looks offset.

I think a number of bikes with fairings may have instruments offset through the console.

Better view

So sure, less common... but certainly not unheard of.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Caffeineo

• Guzzi B00b
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2021, 11:35:11 AM »
The Quota has a tach and I am constantly looking at it trying to figure out if the last thing I changed has helped it run smoother and where in the RPM range. It still needs a bit of tuning and I would miss it.
The Bobber Sport does not have a tach and I do not miss it......but it does have a gear indicator that I would miss. The bike just runs so smooth that I sometimes find I am in 4th gear riding at 60 and will put it in 5th. Sure I could get by without it (gear indicator) but it is nice to have.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85
2018 Husky 701
2023 Husky TX300

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2021, 11:51:07 AM »
No, I would not miss it.
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here