Author Topic: (NGC)-V-Rod test ride.  (Read 1235 times)

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
(NGC)-V-Rod test ride.
« on: May 23, 2021, 09:09:56 AM »
Going through some old pics. This was taken in 2003 after I had received a post card that if I test rode a V-Rod I could pick $50 free merchandise. Got two nice pair of gloves.

GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
Re: (NGC)-V-Rod test ride.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2021, 10:00:45 AM »
Nice.

I test rode one 2 or 3 years ago.  It was a hoot to ride, but felt like a metric at a premium price.  The valve adjustment maintenance made it less appealing than the Vulcan Meanstreak I owned, and purchased for a third the going price of a V-rod.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2021, 10:08:40 AM »
Going through some old pics. This was taken in 2003 after I had received a post card that if I test rode a V-Rod I could pick $50 free merchandise. Got two nice pair of gloves.

GliderJohn

Was'nt this the motor that Porsche was involved with? 
The V-Rod's were quite the straight line drag bikes!! :thumb: :cool:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2021, 10:19:54 AM »
Yes they were. Some of that design work may be part of the Street series as well as the new Pan America.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2021, 10:19:54 AM »

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2021, 10:35:55 AM »
The motor power band was kind of like the Norge 8V, a solid pull till about 5K rpm then an upper end rush. Where a traditional H-D motor would have been redlined this motor was just getting on the cam. Remember the seating position becoming quickly uncomfortabel and the handling being about would you would expect. Brakes and transmission were very good.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline acogoff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2021, 01:19:49 PM »
     I rode one for about 4 miles and that was enough. Great power and slick shifting, but the reclineresque seating position seemed downright dangerous.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 04:35:37 PM by acogoff »
'77850t3FB Owned since it was new
Marshall County Minnesota USA

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2021, 02:46:27 PM »
     I rode one for about 4 miles and that was enough. Great power and slick shifting, but the reclineresk seating position seemed downright dangerous.

No more dangerous than riding a motorcycle. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2021, 03:05:02 PM »
The motor power band was kind of like the Norge 8V, a solid pull till about 5K rpm then an upper end rush. Where a traditional H-D motor would have been redlined this motor was just getting on the cam. Remember the seating position becoming quickly uncomfortabel and the handling being about would you would expect. Brakes and transmission were very good.
GliderJohn

The regular VRods had single position forward pegs and were not comfortable at all.  Even with the peg relocation fix (that moved the pegs only slightly) it was still no fun.  You are locked into a single seat & legs position.  No way to move.  It only takes a few miles to get really really old. 

The Street Rod series had regular mid pegs like a normal bike. It makes a huge difference. Great engine to ride. 

We had one of each for a year+  The plain VRod only had <700 miles and was all blinged out.  It was torture to,ride.  It was sold without a tear.  The Street Rod that came soon afterwards was a bike that we hated to see go. I rode that Street Rod whenever I could.
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2021, 04:47:44 PM »
A lot of Harley fans have always wished that HD had put the Vrod motorcycle in a touring chasis.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2021, 06:10:48 AM »
A lot of Harley fans have always wished that HD had put the Vrod motorcycle in a touring chasis.
kk

People are starting to say that about the new engine in the Pan America.  Of course the Pan America is a touring bike. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2021, 06:59:04 AM »
This is a bias opinion...I considered a V Rod for a project...There was on locally for $5000 that had been modified , no fenders, cut exhaust and other parts missing but it ran fine and the frame wasn't hacked up...I took a look and walked away...Too long, typical Harley frame geometry and the engine is ugly....

Offline cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2021, 08:14:17 AM »
I still want one to build a VR1000-themed cafe bike.  At this point, it's not a huge priority and if I have to resuscitate a long-dead engine on one, it's even less of a priority.
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2021, 09:22:45 AM »
kk

YES!!  Like in an FLH frame like the Road King. That would have been quite a touring motorcycle!! :thumb: :cool: :boozing: :wink: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2021, 09:27:54 AM »
Good doner for a Morgan, otherwise not for me. Like anything 'outside the box' that Harley makes, it seems they have a passionate group that loved them, but that group is too small to sway Harley into developing it further.
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2021, 10:40:26 AM »
And of course the traditional Harley rider didn't want anything to do with anything but the old tractor engine and still don't.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2021, 10:48:51 AM »
And of course the traditional Harley rider didn't want anything to do with anything but the old tractor engine and still don't.
kk

Because there is nothing wrong with the old tractor engine, is there.   :wink:

Many on this forum won't even touch a small block because they prefer the larger tractor engine.   :huh: :shocked:
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2021, 11:01:36 AM »
 There is nothing wrong with air cooled Harley engines. Even  the vintage knuckles, pans and shovel when assembled with care can be reliable and with good tuning and an efficient exhaust system make enough power for sensible riding.

bobrebos

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2021, 12:12:40 PM »
I liked the Vrods.  Nice bike in my opinion.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2021, 03:33:15 PM »
+1 on the Street Rod being a better bike.   :thumb:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2021, 05:46:51 PM »
Yep.  My buddy has a Street Rod.  It's a total blast to ride.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2021, 08:07:44 PM »
There was plenty wrong with the old air cooled Harley stuff. Or maybe history gets to do a rewrite. My brothers and quite a few of my friends rode them and were diehards about it. To a man the were plagued with problems. One of my coworkers back in the 80's and 90's rode with a very large Harley club. He told me that during any given winter cycle about 1/3 of them were down for overhauls. As he got older he gave up and bought a big Honda Shadow. My son rides a fairly new Ultra Glide Classic. Very nice bike and he knocks down some miles, done the iron butt thing twice now. He's had the water pump  get him trailered home from a road trip, and something called the "compensator? has failed. He had to replace a bushing in the shift linkage while it was still low miles, & fork seals. He does have a 2002 Sporty that has been trouble free, but it's not heavily ridden. Every now & then I find someone who claims a perfect track record with them, but who really knows? They sell the crap out of them, and buyers are willing to live with them. My son bought his assuming he may have problems, and said if he did it was expected and part of the price he pays for riding the Harley. He got rid of a 1200 BMW K bike to buy it. I personally think the V-Rod is super cool.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 08:09:28 PM by wymple »
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Offline dte8dom

• New Egg
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2021, 08:46:40 PM »
The secret to newer Harley air cooled twins is to try and leave them stock. I put a ton of miles on my nearly stock (mufflers/air cleaner/fuel map) twin cam, never had any issues in 14 years.  1450cc and barley 54hp with a low rev limit, it is very dependable if you treat it right. I sold it to get my Cali 1400, no regrets. My Evo that I still have is a much different story, it is heavily hot rodded. It's my local bike now because it has come on the trailer more than once and I have no doubts it will again. But it is a hell of a ride.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here