General Category > General Discussion

For those that name their bikes...

(1/6) > >>

twowheeladdict:
Does it make it harder to part with them? 

I have never named a possession so am curious.  For me the more $$$ I dump into a bike makes it harder to part with because you never recoup but a fraction of the extra money spent.

I think if I started naming my bikes girls names my wife would get nervous.   :shocked:

JJ:
Don't know why...but I have always named my bikes...The Yellow Horse...Moby Dick - The Great White Whale...The Root Beer Float...The Racing Rhino...The White Lion...the list goes on an on... :laugh: :grin: :wink:  But it does not make it harder to part with them...at least for me...just another inanimate object in the end... :wink:

Here is the "Root Beer Float", for example -

1978 Honda GL1000 "Naked" Gold Wing...in all it's former glory!! :thumb: :cool:

PhilB:
I don't think it makes it harder specifically, but for me at least it is a way of thinking that already makes it hard to part.
I pretty much never part with a good thing, as long as it still runs.

At the age of 58, I've owned 6 cars; the current is a 2002 Mini Cooper S (Marian) with 228K on it, and I'll drive her until she dies.
I've had more bikes, but not a lot more, and the same applies.  My main bike was a 1993 Ducati M900 Monster (Patina), that I rode daily for 24 years and 265K miles, until she got wrecked -- otherwise I'd still be riding her, again until she dies.
I have 3 scooters I've owned for between 30 and 35 years, and don't plan to let go of.

So it's not that it is harder to let go of things I've named; more that I name things that I don't intend to let go of.

PhilB

twowheeladdict:

--- Quote from: PhilB on September 19, 2021, 07:46:19 PM ---So it's not that it is harder to let go of things I've named; more that I name things that I don't intend to let go of.

--- End quote ---

Now I am starting to understand why some guys refer to their better half as "the wife", and vice versa.   :thewife:

Guzzistajohn:
I name them, but it doesn't make us any "closer"

CX100 =  "The X"
LMIII   =  "Tre"
Triumph Tiger = "Douglas" (because I flipped a house on Douglas St. and bought the Tiger)
I don't have a name for the Tenere 700 yet. Any suggestions?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version