General Category > General Discussion

How far should i go.....

(1/7) > >>

Duvn8r:
Hi All,

just after some general advice here if you guys can spare a moment:
I've pulled the rear wheel off my 2000 Cali Special to give it some much need rubber and wonder whether I need to do rear wheel bearings at the same time.
 on the bike there is no play but off the bike if I use the axle bolt I can see a minute amount of play on each bearing, what's normally tolerable in this space? and is it worth just doing coz i'm there?
the bike has about 46500kms on it....

I'm also chasing a couple of oil leaks and have found what seems to be seeping form the RPM/TDC sensor mount and the neutral indicator mount gasket, these seem easy enough to reconcile with some sealant on the former and a gasket on the latter, just wondering of it's "normal" so to speak

But whilst I'm here and we're in another bout of - lockdowns should I be checking other things like clutch, rear drive, rear driveshaft uni joints....etc..etc. ..

Gear oil and final drive oil were replaced at 39600kms, also had top end rebuild at 41750kms (minus rocker arm pivot bushes....)

I know this is a how long is a piece of string type query but I'm more interested in what normally gives grief and would be worthwhile checking out, replacing etc. at this stage of the bike's life.

Also are there any recommendations for lithium batteries to replace the lead acid? I've slowly been customising her and realised in the removal and redesign of side covers and guards I can now see the battery poking out at the back of the frame and am looking to redesign the battery bay layout so a smaller battery will be in order.

Many thanks in advance

kingoffleece:
Some will call me crazy but I'd replace all wheel bearings on a 2000 M/Y motorcycle as a matter of course.  And a lot of other stuff, too.

Huzo:
465,000 km and you live in Victoria/Australia.
My # is 0437070946
May I have the honour of meeting you ?
Peter...(Huzo)

Duvn8r:

--- Quote from: kingoffleece on September 19, 2021, 08:36:50 PM ---Some will call me crazy but I'd replace all wheel bearings on a 2000 M/Y motorcycle as a matter of course.  And a lot of other stuff, too.

--- End quote ---

ok cheers, so all wheel bearings are a go, what other stuff comes to mind?

Duvn8r:

--- Quote from: SoCV on September 19, 2021, 08:47:16 PM --- The bearings are available at almost any bearing house , cheap .

What happened that the top end needed rebuilding at that low mileage ?

Dusty

--- End quote ---

Hi Dusty, it started when i found a crack in the RH cylinder bore that went up from the bottom to just before where the fins start and then did a T intersection and started radiating around the cylinder necessitating barrel replacement, whilst apart I found the valve stems were loose and leaking so i got Basil @ headworks to put in K liners and new valves etc. there's also wear in the rocker pivot pins but I'll get to those another day

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version