Author Topic: EV charging system  (Read 400 times)

Offline vf84pc

• Hatchling
EV charging system
« on: September 23, 2021, 10:58:10 AM »
I just met a 98 EV owner in CT, he said you can use a Ducati 3-phase system in the EV. I know the 99 M900 had a three phase system and I checked online the price of the  rotar and the regulator is about $600.00 Is it a direct replacement?

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
Re: EV charging system
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 11:23:34 AM »
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
Re: EV charging system
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 07:30:32 PM »
No, its not a direct replacement, the EV was single phase, you are saying the Ducati is a 3 phase.
It might work but at $600 its an expensive try.  BTW the original is Ducati Energia, no relation to Ducati motorcycles.
The problem with the original Ducati Energia regulator system is the Voltage referent circuit is very flakey. If you just replace the original regulator with a direct connected one the charging will be more reliable.
The original wiring relies on a couple of bullet connectors in the yellow wires from Stator to regulator, they often develop resistance and burn up, re-connect those with crimp links or soldered joints for reliability. Perhaps replace the wires right at the coils, its easy to solder new ones on there, the old ones will be oxidized and almost impossible to re-solder.
Here's a typical https://www.electrosport.com/collections/street-motorcycles-moto-guzzi-2001-california-ev
Its Plug and play but I would recommend changing the wiring slightly to fix the bike's flakey Voltage reference.
The regulator Electrosport recommend is not one I would chose, they used to have a better one with a dedicated Negative wire, the ESR515 needs to be grounded.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 11:57:59 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here