Author Topic: Upstate NY Riding Suggestions?  (Read 677 times)

Offline Bpreynolds2

• Gosling
Upstate NY Riding Suggestions?
« on: September 26, 2021, 06:51:31 AM »
Hey folks, me and my riding bud are headed up to Niagara Falls tomorrow but then on Tuesday we are looking to ride east and establish a kind of home base in or around upstate NY for good riding.  We have Butler maps and that should assist with lots of red and gold roads there listed (not many G1 shown but whatever).  I think we are struggling a little to see where would be a good spot to stay.  We even considered Scranton or northwest PA as well since there is a lot of good riding there also but I think a part of us really wants to see the best portions of upstate as well.  Neither one of us have ever been there so suggestions greatly welcome.   :thumb:
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 07:06:31 AM by Bpreynolds2 »
2020 T120 Bonneville

Offline mechanicsavant

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Upstate NY Riding Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2021, 07:01:00 AM »
Tons of great roads in the Adirondack s . If ya can squeeze in a trip to the Museum of the Adirondack’s , highly recommend.

Amstaff

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2021, 07:51:43 AM »
https://favoriteridesanddestinations.com/

http://www.advcatskills.org/Maps/?CentralNY

https://montanusphotography.com/rides/7Lakes8-27-05/index2.htm

Probably too much material in those links to avoid getting bogged down and confused.

Bad time of year with all the leaf peepers clogging roads from metro areas. But not peak yet and you're in the workweek.

Rider Magazine (the source for the link above compiling routes) has done a few routes in NYS in the last year and they embed a QC code to share the route with Rever, I
think. I don't use Rever. Roadrunner Magazine is another resource.

NE PA and Rte 197 is interesting and surrounding area in souther Catskills, don’t think you can go wrong. Nicholson PA is memorable due to the large historic concrete RR bridge.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 08:00:45 AM by Amstaff »

Online PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2021, 08:02:00 AM »
There are a couple of great areas to explore. Besides the Adirondaks there are the Finger Lakes. You could spend a few days in either area. This should be a good week with little rain in the forecast and the leaves are barely turning so you should not run into a lot of leaf peepers yet.
If you decide on the Adirondacks take the Seaway Trail that more or less follows Lake Ontario shoreline. Mostly small towns with the exception of Rochester. You could set up your base in either Rome or Utica and easily access the Adirondacks north or the Catskills south.
If  you decide on the Finger Lakes you can avoid all the urban sprawl around Buffalo by taking RT 104 east out of Lewiston to RT 63 to RT 77 to RT 20A. Locate Naples, NY on the map and then take routes to towns on the southern end of those lakes. Hammondsport (stop at the Glenn Curtiss Museum), Watkins Glen, Ithaca. The roads on the Lake shores are filled with wineries, micro brews and now distilleries plus some fantastic views.
if you have week you could easily do both areas.
Pete
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 08:07:37 AM by PeteS »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2021, 08:02:00 AM »

Offline Peter from Sch'dy

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2021, 08:05:26 AM »
Excellent timing. The Finger Lakes region is wonderful riding and this is grape harvest season for wine lovers. Lots of places to stay along I90. Of course the Adirondacs are beautiful and almost vacant during the week. Routes 30 and 10 are a bit remote but can be ridden in a day each and are roughly parallel N&S. Watch for Amish carts and slow moving farm equipment in central NY.

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2021, 08:19:56 AM »
Plus one on finger lakes region, Adirondacks , Be sure to ride up Whiteface mountain,(not the ski mountain) ,  The road and observatory were built back in the day of the ccc work program and the stone work is simply unbelievable.  Also bring you passport and - vaccination card with you to Niagara Falls so you can visit the Canadian side where the big falls are. Hope you have a great trip! :thumb:

Offline Bpreynolds2

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2021, 08:31:57 AM »
Plus one on finger lakes region, Adirondacks , Be sure to ride up Whiteface mountain,(not the ski mountain) ,  The road and observatory were built back in the day of the ccc work program and the stone work is simply unbelievable.  Also bring you passport and - vaccination card with you to Niagara Falls so you can visit the Canadian side where the big falls are. Hope you have a great trip! :thumb:

Thanks for all the suggestions. Keep them coming.  Sadly, my understanding is that even vaxed you can’t make it to CA side right now unless you have proof of a negative (not rapid) test result within the last 72 hours.  So I guess we are going to have to skip that side due to the short notice trip.
2020 T120 Bonneville

Online sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2021, 10:41:29 AM »
Excellent route already suggested. One area you may want to skip, is the Scranton Pa. area. It is somewhat congested, and roads not in good shape.

Stay on the upstate NY area, nice backroads, and usually in very good condition.

One very nice day trip, is starting at Fishkill,NY,on  Rt. 30, head north through Margaretville, Roscoe,
 Cobleskill and Breakabean. All one horse towns on Rt. 30, which carves around the Pepactin reservoir. Careful about LEO’s.
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Offline xackley

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2021, 01:47:26 PM »
Hammondsport would be good stop for a couple of days. County roads are good, twisty, and not much traffic. Dirt roads are well groomed if you get the urge.
In the area for wings or burgers and a beer I prefer the Lost and Found on Lamoka Lake. Hammondsport restaurants are touristy.

3 motels available, or free camping  a little east w/o showers in Sugar Hill State Forest.
Then over the hill to Watkins Glen and onto the  Adirondacks.

Don
1958 R69 BMW, 1972 R75/5, 1980 yamaha XS650, 1982 GL1100, 2003 EV, 2007 Triumph America and 2017 V7!!!
All on the road, going nowhere in particular.

Offline Peter from Sch'dy

• Hatchling
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2021, 01:54:13 PM »
Hammondsport would be good stop for a couple of days. County roads are good, twisty, and not much traffic. Dirt roads are well groomed if you get the urge.
In the area for wings or burgers and a beer I prefer the Lost and Found on Lamoka Lake. Hammondsport restaurants are touristy.

3 motels available, or free camping  a little east w/o showers in Sugar Hill State Forest.
Then over the hill to Watkins Glen and onto the  Adirondacks.

Don
All this plus the Curtiss Museum.

Online n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2021, 07:42:54 PM »
Letchworth State Park is in the area. Billed as The Grand Canyon of the East.

+1 on Curtiss Museum.

upload pic
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Offline chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2021, 07:03:36 AM »
North Hudson to Newcomb on Blue Ridge Road is an amazing stretch

Newcomb back to North Hudson is another one..

:bike-037:

If you go north from Newcomb you can check out the abandoned mining town
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Online Petrus Rocks

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2021, 09:09:58 AM »
I'm near Rochester.  You're welcome to stop by.  Email me at pkomarek@rochester.rr.com. 
From the Rochester area south to Canandaigua- East side lots of twisties, and hills.  West side visit Letchworth State park, lots of twisties. 
For the Finger Lakes stay in Penn Yan, Ithaca or Watkins Glen.  On Keuka lake there is a great place-Keg and Barrel is a microbrew pub and has a motel.   I highly recommend the Curtiss museum in Hammondsport.
 The western side of the Catskills are real nice, the east side is a bit congested.  Cooperstown has the Baseball hall of fame and is a good base.
The Adirondacks are a lot of fun, more remote.  A good base is Old Forge.  Have fun!

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here