Author Topic: Everyday wear boots? What do you wear?  (Read 24316 times)

Offline Vince in Milwaukee

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Everyday wear boots? What do you wear?
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2015, 02:33:47 AM »
Another very satisfied Red Wing boot wearer.  Believe it or not, my steel toed work boots are very comfortable.  The inside tab say WORX #5290.  They look exactly like the old, black, military combat boots we wore in the 80s.  Retail cost is around $150, but I got a 10% government employee discount, and the commissary gave me a chit for $120.  $8 and some odd cents came out of my pocket - score!   :). 
1984 Moto Guzzi 850 LeMans III, 1986 California II
Gone but not forgotten:
1969 Moto Guzzi Ambo, 1994 BMW K75RTw/ABS, 1996 BMW R1100RT, and 1993 BMW K75

Offline HDGoose

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2015, 04:59:28 AM »
Red Wing.

Offline Xlratr

• Gaggle Mentor
  • (ex) Stelvio NTX, '78 Honda 750F2, '97 FXDWG
Everyday wear boots? What do you wear?
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2015, 06:12:08 AM »
These Doc Martens Forge ST are actually industrial boots, but they're really comfortable and I wear them a lot. As someone said, unfortunately not made in England anymore, but still very nicely made.
I remember paying less than €60, a few years back, so either my memory is getting worse or they've increased the price substantially, because they seem to be around €100 now. Still good value though.

PS: you know it's winter when you're posting pictures of footwear!! How sad is that? ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John

I ain't too young to realize, that I ain't too old to try ...

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2015, 08:54:19 AM »
Do your wives know you talk like this about footwear?

The wives of us old guys have (like us) come to realize the importance of shoes and boots that FIT and that work right for the job you're doing.   Young man can wear any kind of cheap junk and his instantly heal-able feet don't care.   Old men know that with the right boots, you can STILL stay on your feet all day and not be hurting.   Although that doesn't explain how Ralph does it with $6 boots .... his cheapskatedness keeps him safe and comfortable, I'm sure!   :D

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2015, 08:54:19 AM »

Offline blackbuell

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waitin' on the ghost of Tom Joad
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2015, 10:08:27 AM »

I have been wearing this model (or something very similar) of Redwing for about 35 years. They last a loooong time (5-6 years), even though I use them as my everyday shoes as well as my MC boots.

Jon

« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 10:10:20 AM by blackbuell »
Bikes: 2007 Norge, YAM RD250, 2017 Indian Scout. 2021 V7 850 Special

I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonopah

Offline Motogogo

• Gosling
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2015, 10:43:09 AM »
Yeah I like Red Wing Pecos as well, they have a version that is dyed a dark red with a cool rattle snake tread pattern.
They will ruin you for other shoes though, they's mighty comfy.
68 V700
850 T crusty specimen
Welch, Minnesota

Offline Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2015, 03:06:26 PM »
Forgot, my Danner tactical boots are now 6 years old.  I need to send them in for a resole.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2015, 03:23:13 PM »
I have couple pair of Lucchese boots for everyday wear.

Dean
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Online Travman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2015, 03:44:42 PM »
Great suggestions guys.  I would like to try them all.  In the end I bought a pair of Redwing Iron Rangers.  My nephew showed up in a pair yesterday.  I thought they looked really good with jeans or kakhis.  Here are some pictures of his boots. 

Travis King
'70 Ambassadors, 73 Norton, 73 V7 Sport, 12 V7 Racer

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2015, 03:56:59 PM »
Looks like a good choice.   Can't go wrong with Red Wings, at least not from the input on this list.    My first pair of riding boots was a pair of tall, lace-up Red Wing lineman's boots.   I loved them but have lost the patience for lacing up knee-high boots!!

Lannis

Online Travman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2015, 03:58:42 PM »
As much as I loved the amber-brown color of my nephew's Iron Rangers shown above, I went with black.  The leather finish on the above boot shows every little scuff.  It is no big deal you can just rub it out with your fingers, but I know how compulsive I would be with that.  The black versions seem to shrug off scuffing a lot easier.

These run smaller than your true foot size.  My right foot is a 10.5 and my left is a 10.0.  Size 9.5 is what fit me.  First time I've ever worn anything smaller than a 10.5.  The salesman said that is typical with this boot.

http://www.redwingheritage.com/USD/product/footwear/6-inch-boots/6-black-harness-8114-08114
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 07:53:09 PM by Travman »
Travis King

Online Travman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2015, 04:09:11 PM »
Looks like a good choice.   Can't go wrong with Red Wings, at least not from the input on this list.    My first pair of riding boots was a pair of tall, lace-up Red Wing lineman's boots.   I loved them but have lost the patience for lacing up knee-high boots!!

Lannis
So far, so good.  I've been wearing them around the house most of the day. 

I still need a more outdoor boot that is waterproof, but that can wait for a little while.  These are made to look like work boots, but they are really more of a dress-casual boot. 
Travis King

Offline roofus

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I must remember to cancel my turn signal!"
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2015, 04:39:50 PM »
I wear boots from Keen and Boggs.

www.keenfootware.co m
2010 V7 Cafe, 2013 V7 Special, 2013 Norton Commando 961SF, 2016 BMW R1200GS

Offline diablo45

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2015, 06:32:23 PM »
These Doc Martens Forge ST are actually industrial boots, but they're really comfortable and I wear them a lot. As someone said, unfortunately not made in England anymore, but still very nicely made.
I remember paying less than €60, a few years back, so either my memory is getting worse or they've increased the price substantially, because they seem to be around €100 now. Still good value though.

PS: you know it's winter when you're posting pictures of footwear!! How sad is that? ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can still buy made in England Dr. Martins. They cost a little more and are made in the old shop in England.
http://www.drmartens.com/us/c/Mens-Made-in-England
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 06:45:20 PM by diablo45 »
Sam
Hazel Park,MI 48030

1970 Ambassador/gone but not forgotten
2002 Stone/gone but not forgotten
1992 Honda ST1100/ gone, it was nice

Support your local dealer

We are the people of the Sun

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2015, 10:18:28 PM »
Another satisfied Merrell Moab wearer here...I keep at least two pair around at any given time. I also like my split-leather tanker boots and Double-H engineer boots for MC duty. The Double-Hs were nearly unwearable until I had a lowered heel nailed on. Anymore, they are all-day comfy. The tan tankers are very protective and secure, but are pretty cool in the summer...plus they require no break-in and are very easy on your feet.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline jdgretz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Proud Owner of a Red Norge
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2015, 01:40:37 AM »
I wear some sort of motorcycle boot or shoe when riding, but Dan Post boots for dress and casual.  The Milwaukee is my preferred style, and Dan Post boots simply fit me correctly from the first time I put them on.  I can wear new boots from Dan all day without problem - I can't say that about other makers.

Of course, YMMV

jdg
2007 Norge Sophia The Fast Red One
1999 Honda Helix - Zippy
2008 Honda Goldwing

Offline oldtime

• New Egg
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2015, 03:49:50 AM »
You guys get it easy    Redwing over $300.00 here .  I used to get Kodiak high lace ups but NLA here .I think they were hunting boots from Canada.   

tusong200

« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2015, 08:44:31 AM »
Vasque 'Sundowners'. Only shoes I wear, year round (unless I have to go to a wedding or a funeral). On my 4th pair in 25 years. Great on the Guzzi as well (if I'm not wearing my 30 year old Frank Thomas boots).

Unfortunately they are no longer made in Italy. I think I got the last pair made in Italia. Now they are made in China.

Offline sturgeon

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2015, 09:33:38 AM »
You guys get it easy    Redwing over $300.00 here .  I used to get Kodiak high lace ups but NLA here .I think they were hunting boots from Canada.   

Kodiaks are still (again?) available here in the great not-so-white-right-now north.
Dyslexics Untie!

11 Yamaha WR250R
14 Moto Guzzi V7S
16 BMW R1200R

Offline tpeever

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2015, 10:12:24 AM »
I've had a pair of these Zamberlan Civetta's since 1999. They are very comfortable and very sturdy. They are my hiking/backpacking boots and have been to the top of Half Dome many times.

631 CIVETTA GTX RR
http://www.zamberlanusa.com/catalog/index.php?lang=en&pg=prod&idprod=54&idcat=2

Thanks to this thread I just ordered a pair of these.... 730 GEAR GTX I hope they are a little lighter and I'll use these around the house.
http://www.zamberlanusa.com/catalog/index.php?lang=en&pg=prod&idprod=202&idcat=2

Zamberlan are good quality Italian boots.  ;-T

I like Zamberlan and Asolo a lot as well. I still have a pair of 20 year old Asolo 520s that have been retired but still use in the shop in winter. I have several pairs of Zamberlan low-cut hiking/trail shoes and they are all high quality stuff and not that expensive. I have narrow feet and a lot of shoes and boots don't fit me well. I currently have a pair of these and they are excellent:

http://www.zamberlanusa.com/catalog/index.php?lang=en&pg=prod&idprod=13&idcat=2

Of the boots folks have listed, which if any of them are available in a narrow width or run narrow?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 10:13:53 AM by tpeever »
2008 Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport
2007 Moto Guzzi Nevada
1978 Kawasaki KZ650
1976 BMW R75/6
1974 Norton Commando
1968 Moto Guzzi V700
1967 Triumph TR6C
1961 Norton Dominator

Offline donn

• Gaggle Hero
  • The thing is, I do want a pickle.
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2015, 10:58:48 AM »
One of the Zamberlan line looked awful tempting, one of the few without a Goretex liner.  But ... $400 for shoes?  I know, I know, but what if they got sliced up walking in barnacles or something?

While I'm taking some time to get used to that idea, I put in an order for some boots from a place in Ethiopia where they make them out of local materials and car tires, inspired by a car tire based shoe called selate that they used to wear - while fighting the Italians.

bpreynolds

« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2015, 11:21:29 AM »
Still wear these gortex Cabelas now 30 years running.  Still keeping my feet warm and not too hot either.

For a nice casual boot that doesn't break the bank I've recently discovered and been impressed with King Rocks footwear (www.kingrocks.com) based out of California.  They sell work and casual boots you can get through Amazon or one of their distributors.  Here's a pic of the low cuts I wear to work now even with dresspants.  
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 11:25:30 AM by bpreynolds »

Offline sturgeon

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2015, 01:19:20 PM »
Perhaps a bit specialized for some, but I love my Irish Setter (made by Red Wing) Elk Tracker hunting boots. They're surprisingly light for tall boots, waterproof, not over hot in summer, easy to break in, yadda, yadda ...
Dyslexics Untie!

11 Yamaha WR250R
14 Moto Guzzi V7S
16 BMW R1200R

Online Travman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2015, 05:11:40 PM »
For a nice casual boot that doesn't break the bank I've recently discovered and been impressed with King Rocks footwear (www.kingrocks.com) based out of California.  They sell work and casual boots you can get through Amazon or one of their distributors.  Here's a pic of the low cuts I wear to work now even with dresspants.  

Nice. These look like the Redwing Iron Rangers I posted above.
Travis King

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2015, 05:37:23 PM »
I wear tactical boots with side zippers.

Cold: insulated pair (Danners).  Hot:  Mesh panel (Bates).  You can find them in just about any price range you want.  I wear them just about every day.  They are my riding boots as well.  I like them cause they 'fit in' at work, I can hike long distances in them, and they are pretty good at protecting my feet when riding.

Ditto!!  :+1 :+1 :+1  Thanks Charlie for saving me all that thinkin and typin. :D
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2015, 07:58:53 PM »
Massive amounts of diverse information here.

Boots may be the only thing more diverse and individual than motorcycle seats ... what suits one guy will be torture to another .....

Lannis

Online Travman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2015, 08:32:33 AM »
My Iron Ranger Redwing boots have been breaking in nicely. They are more comfortable each time I wear them. However, they don't have any traction in the snow. I was climbing a snow covered hill in my backyard when suddenly I was flat on my back. These boots have a flat bottom the sole is made of nitrile cork. I'm not sure why. Perhaps this sole has a purpose, but walking in snow and ice is not it.  ???
Travis King

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2015, 11:47:39 AM »
I wear some sort of motorcycle boot or shoe when riding, but Dan Post boots for dress and casual.  The Milwaukee is my preferred style, and Dan Post boots simply fit me correctly from the first time I put them on.  I can wear new boots from Dan all day without problem - I can't say that about other makers.

Of course, YMMV

jdg

Actually, in this case, "yfmv".   My feet vary so much from most peoples' (apparently) that they are incapable of being stuffed into a Western-style pair of boots with pointed toes.   I like the styling and quality (especially craftsman American-made quality) of Western boots, but I've never even been close to being able to get my wide-toed feet into them ....

Always comfort first for me ....

Lannis

Online Travman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2015, 03:46:48 PM »
Ugh!  I fell again in my yard.  There was less snow so I thought I could get by.  I was running with the dogs when I tried to stop on an icy patch in the shade.  I actually landed on my head & shoulders. 

These are 100% NOT a good shoe for snow & ice... there's no traction. Red Wing is a Minnesota company... why do they have such slippery soles? I still like them a lot and feel good about my purchase. Just be careful in the snow.

Does anybody know why they make boots with soles like this?  They advertise that the soles are oil resistant.  Maybe they have good traction on oil-soaked concrete?

Most of their boots have a more typical looking sole like this Redwing Beckman

Lannis, I'm with you.  My toes always feel pinched in Cowboy style boots. 

Travis King

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here