Author Topic: easy to use single motorcycle trailer?  (Read 21400 times)

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Re: easy to use single motorcycle trailer?
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2015, 03:43:30 PM »
Hey Matt,
Ever have any problem (LEOs) with the car/SUV's license plates being blocked by the bike?
Thanks,
Nick

Not to mention, turn signals and all but one brake light.
Charlie

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2015, 05:16:17 PM »
Hey Matt,
Ever have any problem (LEOs) with the car/SUV's license plates being blocked by the bike?
Thanks,
Nick

I got a warning in Colorado for blocked license plate.

I have lights on my Versa-Haul.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Travlr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2015, 06:23:09 PM »
All,

My brain is pondering the concept of buying a small SUV (like a Mazda CX-5, or similar), and trailering my bike to places like central NM, hometown of Durango, CO, and even far west TX, and then ride.  My buddy Mitch has one, and he says it has a wheel chock, and he can load his bike by himself.  I am sixty, not particularly tall or strong, and frankly the idea of trailering gives me pause. 

So, advice please? 

I was in a very similar situation.  I wanted to tow with my wifes 4 cylinder Honda.  A light trailer, a light bike, an economy car = great mileage.  I purchased an old Holsclaw trailer.  Not many of you may remember them, but Holsclaw made boats in the 1950's and 1960's.  Mostly they made boat trailers, but also motorcycle trailers.  Not only are they quite collectable, but they have a full suspension of shocks and springs.  In short, they tow great and baby your bike with a smooth ride.  I uprated the bearings and wheels, added led lights and put on a new rail and wheel chock.  I couldn't be happier.  The Honda hardly knows it's there and returns 26-28 mpg on the road.  Attached is a pic.

M

1991 Moto Guzzi LeMans 5
1977 BMW R100S

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2015, 06:44:57 PM »
I bought one of these a year or so ago, and can't believe how excellent it is:

http://www.baxleycompanies.com/SBX09FoldUp.html

The loading area lowers essentially to the ground. You could push a light bike up on it by yourself (front wheel goes into an L.A. Chock, so there's an over-center front wheel grabber) or ride it on. If the bike happens to be disabled, there's a hand-crank winch that someone else could operate while you sit on the bike and guide it up (attach the winch strap to something on the handlebar). Once the front wheel is in the L.A. Chock, you can get off the bike, strap it down, crank the loading area back up to normal height, and go.

I don't ordinarily trailer a bike anywhere, but needed to take my MG to a dealer for recall work (bike and trailer are still there, since October). This trailer is phenomenal, the best I've seen. Not cheap, but since it folds, it fits in a small area in my garage.

But $5k, you could buy another bike for that.

Dean
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2015, 06:44:57 PM »

dilligaf

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2015, 07:46:55 PM »
Hey Matt,
Thanks,
Nick

Not yet.   ;D  :BEER:
Matt

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2015, 09:58:55 AM »
Get 'cha one of these LD ;D
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2015, 10:51:22 AM »

Years ago I had something similar, only it had three rails. Sorry I got rid of it.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2015, 12:11:50 PM »
Don't know if you can get these in the US but I thought they looked neat

http://www.motolug.com/index.php
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

lucydad

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2015, 12:23:02 PM »
All,

Wow thanks for sharing your experience, advice and pictures, much appreciated.

Kendon looks to be the ticket to trailer the V7R across miles and miles of TEXAS and NM.  Pretty pricey, but likely worth the cost of admission.

On my list of pre-retirement stuff to get while I have the big paycheck before the ladies spend all my money.

Offline Adk.IBO

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2015, 07:42:12 AM »
I really like the looks of the clamshell trailers from roadridertrailers.c om I have not seen one in person and there dealer network is pretty sparse. I should have taken a road trip when the closest dealer to me had 2. I will call them this summer or before to see if they will get any more. They are a bit pricey which is why I did not look last summer. This summer may be a little different. An open trailer in this neck of the woods exposes bikes to to much road grime and salt. Anyone ever wrap up a bike with that plastic on a roll that you pull tight around boxes that go on say a flat bed? Would the salt and grime still get in there? Could you get it tight enough so flapping wasn't an issue? Lookin' for a way to bug outa' here for a couple of weeks in the winter.

Stay safe, John
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 07:44:57 AM by Adk.IBO »
'09 Norge new in '11, sold in '17, 37000 very good miles, thanks to this forum. '17 Roadster new in '17
Luke 23:34

Bill Hagan

« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2015, 07:58:30 AM »
But $5k, you could buy another bike for that.

Dean

EXACTLY.  :o

This -- http://tinyurl.com/Cheap-M-C-Trailer -- is looking better and better.

The high-end ones are nice, but way beyond my needs and budget. 

Besides, with a cheap and open trailer, the transported Guzzi will get some road-cred bugs that will make me feel less guilty about trailering it.   ;D

Bill

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2015, 08:49:07 AM »

No suspension. Fail.
Charlie

Bill Hagan

« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2015, 09:35:33 AM »
No suspension. Fail.

According to website, has "a rubber torsion axle for suspension."  Still fail, Charlie?

Bill

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2015, 09:55:54 AM »
Have another pair of hands with you the 1st few times you load the bike. It's not a big deal when you get used to it. DON'T use those damned ratchett type tiedown straps.

Why is that, about the ratcheting straps?   I never liked them as much as the friction straps, they're a relative pain in the rear, until I almost lost my new-to-me Norton off the trailer because the friction straps started slipping under load.    I don't use the friction type any more because of that .... ?

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2015, 10:03:17 AM »
According to website, has "a rubber torsion axle for suspension."  Still fail, Charlie?

Bill

Didn't see it anywhere in the description, I do now in the Q&A. The manual shows rubber torsion suspension too. I'll give it a "pass" in that regard, but from the reviews it still sounds a but dubious. 
Charlie

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2015, 11:14:19 AM »
Most all of those type of trailers have an axle and "suspension" of one type or another that dates back to the chariots. lol  :)

For a light weight, smooth, safe and covered or uncovered trailer, I chose one of these.; [url][/url http://the-ultimate-trailers.com

inditx

p.s. I have the EHT-3 (enlcosed-clam shell) and the airbags are rated at 2,500#'s each. The trailer is only 800#'s empty and the trailer is rated at 2,500#'s with full load. :~)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 12:27:28 PM by inditx »
inditx

This is the day.....

ridingron

« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2015, 11:59:13 AM »
I would be some what concerned about the low capacity (700lbs). How close is the bikes actual weight compared to 700 lbs? I wonder what the limiting factor for capacity is? The tires, the materials, or the design (folding joints) all play into it.

For $800, I would consider a utility trailer I could also use for other things.

ridingron

« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2015, 10:55:15 PM »

For anyone interested in the Kendo trailers, WOW in Atlanta has one for sale. Looks like a 2 bike one.

www.wowmotorcycles. com/view-bike.aspx?SKU=001291&source=S
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 10:57:33 PM by ridingron »

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2015, 08:33:16 AM »
Wow.  Some of you guys would spend more on trailers than I do on my bike.  :)

I'd go down and buy a regular utility trailer.  Add the wheel chock.  Then you can haul more than just the bike.  Get a folding version if you don't have space to store the regular type.  Ramps are easy to buy/make.  I have one with a big ramp as a tailgate.  It is nice, but, when on the road it is like a big airbrake!  I usually take it off and slide it under something when on the highway for any distance.

Yes, you can tow the light trailers with just about any vehicle.  Like mentioned above, wind resistance is a factor with smaller cars, even if it isn't a box trailer.  If you tow it with even a small SUV it won't make much difference at all in mileage.

When shopping the best advice I can give is to make sure your trailer is no wider than your tow vehicle.  :)

Have fun looking.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Online cookiemech

• Gosling
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2015, 03:42:04 PM »
EXACTLY.  :o

The high-end ones are nice, but way beyond my needs and budget. 

Besides, with a cheap and open trailer, the transported Guzzi will get some road-cred bugs that will make me feel less guilty about trailering it.   ;D

Bill

OK, I posted about the Baxley trailer I have ($$$) because I have no idea what anyone's financial situation is. I paid about $5000 for the trailer, even though it's a lot of money, because I think it is the finest open trailer money can buy. I've never seen another one, which supports some folks contention that it's too much money. Sometimes the most expensive option is the cheapest in the long run, in my experience. I worked all my life so I could have the best, with no compromise. When I put a Harley Ultra on this trailer, I have no concerns about stability or me having the bike falling on me while loading. I rarely trailer a bike (they were made to ride!), but when I do, I want something really good. Oh, it hauls my Moto Guzzi well, as well as my Ducati.  :)

I've had a cheap bike trailer. That's why I have a good one now.

Best to buy whatever you like, within your tastes or budget.

Offline drw916

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2015, 06:26:28 PM »
Cookiemech,

I'm with you on this.  I have never regretted the money I spent on a quality product.  I have often regretted going with the cheap option.  If I'm lucky, inexpensive and cheap aren't always the same.
2022 Triumph Tiger Sport 660
1969 Honda 90 (CM91)

Bill Hagan

« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2015, 08:21:36 PM »
OK, I posted about the Baxley trailer I have ($$$) because I have no idea what anyone's financial situation is. I paid about $5000 for the trailer, even though it's a lot of money, because I think it is the finest open trailer money can buy. I've never seen another one, which supports some folks contention that it's too much money. Sometimes the most expensive option is the cheapest in the long run, in my experience. I worked all my life so I could have the best, with no compromise. When I put a Harley Ultra on this trailer, I have no concerns about stability or me having the bike falling on me while loading. I rarely trailer a bike (they were made to ride!), but when I do, I want something really good. Oh, it hauls my Moto Guzzi well, as well as my Ducati.  :)

I've had a cheap bike trailer. That's why I have a good one now.

Best to buy whatever you like, within your tastes or budget.

Cookiemech,

I'm with you on this.  I have never regretted the money I spent on a quality product.  I have often regretted going with the cheap option.  If I'm lucky, inexpensive and cheap aren't always the same.

Interesting.

While I appreciate, cookiemech, that you have, "worked all my life so I could have the best, with no compromise," the same is true for many of us here.  But, we simply choose differently.

For example, I do not think that the "best" is always the "best value."  The latter is my goal.

For me, paying $5K for a trailer that I might use once a year is more than ludicrous, it's irresponsible. That doesn't mean you are wrong for doing it, as I cannot know your needs.  I am sure it's a jewel. 

And, drw916, I certainly agree that I, too, "have never regretted the money I spent on a quality product," the issue is, IMO, again that of value. 

On my X/Y cost-benefit scale, Harbor Freight just might be the best value for a specific job today, but Snap-On tomorrow, but not the high-end product for every job.  FWIW, I only have one SO tool, and way more from HF.    ;)

Perhaps that what you meant by "taste and budget," but, IMO, many of us might be able to afford the best, yet think that the "best" every day seems wasteful.  Not trying to sound like Mother Theresa, as I, too, can buy things for the joy of possession, but mostly do that with books and wine.

As with all such things, YMMV.

Best from the top of Virginia,

Bill

P.S. Might you be interested in renting that Baxley in early April; I'll need your tow vehicle, too.  Thinking about hauling my Griso to Rose Farm Classics for Jim Barron to do his thing with it. ;D

Offline Tony/CT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2015, 10:03:51 PM »
I am considering this one. It looks fairly simple to use. Don't know if anyone one the board has had any experience with one.

http://www.theusatrailerstore.com/

Online cookiemech

• Gosling
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2015, 05:21:26 AM »
P.S. Might you be interested in renting that Baxley in early April; I'll need your tow vehicle, too.  Thinking about hauling my Griso to Rose Farm Classics for Jim Barron to do his thing with it. ;D

Bill, you would absolutely be welcome to use my trailer (no renting; you'd be welcome to use it for free). I'd be a bit uncomfortable about lending my tow vehicle, only because of liability concerns . . .

Yes, I maybe use it once a year and for some, that's wasteful. But I've found myself in the position of needing a trailer right now and had to either call AAA (and wait over two hours for a local tow) or use a scary old tilt-bed trailer. After using the Baxley trailer, I really don't want to ever push a bike up a narrow ramp again (obviously, with help; they're heavy). And since it folds so nicely and rolls easily once folded, it doesn't take much real estate in my garage. I spent so many years having my old crappy trailer stored in a nasty old shed that this is like a breath of fresh air.

I suspect you're kidding about borrowing the trailer, but if you wanted to drive all the way to southwestern PA (about 25 miles SE of Pittsburgh), let me know  ;-T

Offline twodogs

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2015, 05:41:24 AM »
Might check into just renting a U-Haul trailer if you only need it once a year.
2-2023 Yamaha TW200
2022 Triumph 850 sport

Bill Hagan

« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2015, 08:19:15 AM »
Bill, you would absolutely be welcome to use my trailer (no renting; you'd be welcome to use it for free). I'd be a bit uncomfortable about lending my tow vehicle, only because of liability concerns . . .

I suspect you're kidding about borrowing the trailer, but if you wanted to drive all the way to southwestern PA (about 25 miles SE of Pittsburgh), let me know  ;-T

Wow.  Thanks, but, yes, I was teasing.   :D

Even if rated to handle that -- and it's not, I'm sure -- hitching that high-society trailer to my little 200K+ '93 Toyota pickup would be like Luisa Ranieri calling me for a date.  Without regard to how Kathi and Luca might feel about that ... well, it just wouldn't look right.   ;D

That said, if I don't buy some (even cheaper!) new or used (utility-) trailer option before early April when I plan to do the run to the tundra, I may just ride the Griso out there.  FIW, I am up your way several times a year.  Kathi is from Erie and I am in the Jumonville/Hoptown/Uniontown area working on a historical project.  So, may stop in to say howdy, kick the Baxley's tires, and look at the Titanium (IMO, one of the "cleanest" looking Tonti variants).   

Might check into just renting a U-Haul trailer if you only need it once a year.

That occurred to me, and remains (sort of) an option.  Problem is that little truck I mentioned, above.  Doesn't "qualify."

Hmmmmm.  Kathi, I have an idea.   ;D :wife: ;D

Bill

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2015, 08:40:21 AM »
Random trivial data point that twodogs post reminded me of: I was looking at replacing the my Ford Edge (excellent car for me) and the Ford Explorer was a natural progression (longer wheel base, better road ride) and found out U-Haul will not rent you a trailer if your tow vehicle is the Explorer. Goes back to the days when they had that Firestone debacle. Never mind that the current vehicle only shares a name with the old.

Ended up with a F150.......
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here