General Category > General Discussion

Ceramic Coating - saving old mufflers

(1/3) > >>

canuck750:
I had a pair of very rough V7 Sport Silentium shark gill mufflers, most of the chrome peeling off, pits, rust. It took a lot of sanding to get the chrome off, right down to the copper under layer and sanding out all the rust and pits. The local powder coating pros coated them twice with sanding in between.

I think the results are amazing.

Before

After

crc:
well done jim ;-T

canuck750:

--- Quote from: crc on February 12, 2015, 09:34:09 PM ---well done jim ;-T

--- End quote ---

Thanks!

The 750S3 I bought suffered a brutal maiming, the shark gills were cut off to make the ends of the mufflers blunt, probably looked a little more modern some 32+ years ago. The previous owner babied the S3 for the 32 years he was its guardian, I was told the original owner chose to cut off the gills. I know shark fins are taken for ancient medicinal purposes, who would have though the gills would be in equal demand.

rodekyll:
That looks very good.  Do the rest of the system and the radiating temperature will go way down.  I went the same route with some old pipes some years back.  I was told that ceramic coating the pipes inside and out was a good way to hold heat inside and hopefully stop baking my feet and legs.  I never even think about getting dry-scalded by my exhaust anymore until these topics come up.   

Mine have taken a baked-on tannish patina from years of running hard in mud for days and putting it away wet, but the ceramic has held up pretty well.

I ride the same roads you do, so I think you'll be pleased with the coating and bemused by the color change.

Phang:

--- Quote from: canuck750 on February 12, 2015, 09:52:23 PM --- I know shark fins are taken for ancient medicinal purposes, who would have though the gills would be in equal demand.

--- End quote ---

Oh yes, we add dried gills in the soup to enhance the taste but usually taken from smaller fish  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version