Author Topic: [Act III (Electricity); Part 1] Nekkid Norge: In Over My Head  (Read 8334 times)

Bill Hagan

The previous acts in this play are here:

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=75439.0

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=75485.0

Now for Act III, Part 1.

I spent most of the time in high-school science classes looking at Marilyn B's "attributes," especially, apparently, during any lessons involving electricity.

So, as pathetically inept as I am in things mechanical, I am even more so if the issue involves electricity.  I have seen people “fresh killed” after high-voltage electrocution, and that, too, has unsettled me, even if only fiddling with DC motorcycle electrical challenges.  As Wayne and others here can attest, before heading off to one of Luap’s rallies, I once turned Atlanta’s BMNT into noonday sunlight with my Ballabio’s battery.

Anyway, here goes.

So, Walt/guzziks, what I have here is not the latest; yours may be.  I just printed one along the way and have been meaning to check to see what the latest version is.  At the same time, for a guy like me, that may as well be Gaelic script, as I haven’t a clue how to use it.  It does impress Kathi when she sees me studying it, tho, so I keep it around.

Oh, before I get into my electrical challenges and cries for help, have to see that I finally declared victory over that breather tube.

The hex wrench is there because a previous victory went for naught when I jerked it back up and out.  Sheesh.  

I also managed — after a lengthy and literally bloody struggle — to defeat the air box.  

The real heroes were silicone, a heat gun, and a wooden spoon, that last keeping me from jabbing and holing the “snorkels" as I tried (and tried and tried) to get the expletives-deleted into position.

But, speaking of expletives-deleted, back to electrons and the mystery of motorcycle electricity.

So … after fortifying myself with some espresso — straight; no grappa allowed when working with mighty 12 volts! …

… Travis showed up by chance …

We both quickly realized that he was … hum … no help technically, tho a great cheerleader.

So here’s the (first) problem.

I had a Garmin Zumo 550.  When I mounted that, I snipped off the Tom Tom connector.  Who would need that?  Doh.

So, I took that little bag with the Zumo wiring and substituted the Tom Tom wiring.

Here’s my question(s):  While I think I have connected the correct wires to the counterparts (tho please flay me here if I didn’t), I left in the Garmin’s 2 amp fuse.  

Anything especially stupid about that?  If I get the OK from the wizards here (or correct errors they point out), yes, I’ll wrap those exposed wires and connectors, and “rebag” ‘em.

I also have a question about my battery connections, but that can wait for a "Part 2" after I resolve this GPS issue.

Many thanks.

Bill

[Edited because, yet again, I let auto text outsmart me.   ::) ]

« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 08:29:46 PM by Bill Hagan »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: [Act III (Electricity); Part 1] Nekkid Norge: In Over My Head
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 08:43:13 PM »
<scratching head> so you're saying after you cut off the oem connector you don't know which is positive and which is negative?? Maybe I mis read. There is beer  :BEER: involved.  ;D
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Bill Hagan

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 09:14:28 PM »
<scratching head> so you're saying after you cut off the oem connector you don't know which is positive and which is negative?? Maybe I mis read. There is beer  :BEER: involved.  ;D

Thanks, Chuck ... I think.  :D

I am (reasonably) certain that I have correct wiring, as I mirrored that which powered the Zumo.

That said, some eagle eyes here might spot mistakes I am unaware of.

My greater concern, and one that likely sounds silly to the experts here, is whether there is any good or harm in keeping the 2-amp fuse from the Garmin in the chain as I have.

Best from the top of Virginia ... where spring is finally here!  :bike

Bill

What I wander most about,

Offline ibis1

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 09:36:03 PM »
Thanks, Chuck ... I think.  :D

I am (reasonably) certain that I have correct wiring, as I mirrored that which powered the Zumo.

That said, some eagle eyes here might spot mistakes I am unaware of.

My greater concern, and one that likely sounds silly to the experts here, is whether there is any good or harm in keeping the 2-amp fuse from the Garmin in the chain as I have.

Best from the top of Virginia ... where spring is finally here!  :bike

Bill

What I wander most about,

The unit needs to be fused. Do you have the install manual for the Tom Tom? 2 amps is probably very close. The unit should have the current value on the back. If not leave the 2 amp in and you should not have any issues.  :BEER:
2010 California Vintage (Gone)
1971 750 Ambassador (Gone)
2014 California Touring

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 09:36:03 PM »

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 11:07:46 PM »
The wires for the Tom Tom GPS are (from memory) green/orange and blue.  The blue is the ground (chassis, battery negative, 0v).  

To determine whether this feed is already protected by a fuse, connect a small light bulb or multimeter to these wires and observe when the circuit is interrupted by pulling fuses A-F one at a time.  If none of these fuses are controlling the GPS wiring, then an in-line fuse should be added.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 11:27:34 PM by Kiwi Dave »

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 01:27:53 AM »
Oh No!
The plug on the Garmin contains a 5 Volt adapter.

It's probably toast if you connected it straight to 12 Volts.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Carlo DeSantis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 01:56:50 AM »
Bill:

RTFM :)

Look at the TomTom specs, which will be in the manual or perhaps even on the unit's case.  You are looking for the input voltage.  Many Garmins work with a range of voltages (say 5 to 24); I have no experience with TomTom.

Using a VOM (multimeter), measure the voltage of the feed line.  If it matches the stated input voltage or range, you're golden.  The 2A fuse is good for about 25 Watts; be sure that wattage is within the spec power consumption.  Having the fuse inline is not going to hurt anything if there is another fuse upstream in the bike's OEM wiring.

OR call Wayne and do what he tells you :)

Best,

Carlo
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 01:57:41 AM by Carlo DeSantis »
Chuck in Illinois
Crystal Lake, IL USA

'75 850 T3 Custom
'11 R1200R

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 02:42:22 AM »
Oh No!
The plug on the Garmin contains a 5 Volt adapter.

It's probably toast if you connected it straight to 12 Volts.

My Garmin Zumo 550 is spec'd at 12/24v power input.  If the replacement GPS has an adapter, then obviously you would need to connect that to the Tom Tom circuitry, not the unit itself.

Bill Hagan

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 08:39:16 AM »

Thank you for (most of) your comments.   :D

The Tom Tom manual was of little help:

http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/rider2013/refman/TomTom-Rider5-RG-en-us.pdf

All it says is:

"The red POS(+) contact needs to be connected to the motorcycle's +12V battery supply.

The black NEG(-) wire needs to be connected to the motorcycle's -(GND) battery supply."

::)

This pic of my Tom Tom’s specs is better:

All I am doing is using the original (OEM with the Norge) Tom Tom connection from the battery to the new Tom Tom’s connector, with the only addition being a splice of the Garmin’s 2A fuse that I left in from the Zumo's . 

As I read the data on the unit, all is well, but “as I read the data” is a statement of nothing! 

I cannot (yet) power the Norge (and the GPS) up as the battery is out and …  ???  … I am having “issues” figuring out what connectors go where, as a result of … oh, never mind.  I’ll save that for Act III, Part 2, coming soon to your local theaters.   ;)

Thanks again.

Bill

Offline ibis1

• Hatchling
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 09:11:56 AM »
Bill,  Do NOT hook that directly to your battery. It's showing a 5 volt input at 2 amps. Check your positive wire, if it is more than 5 volts do not connect it. You will need a step down device of some sort to connect between the battery and the unit. What wiring came with the Tom Tom? I'll look at the guide you posted on line.  :BEER:
2014 California Touring

Offline ibis1

• Hatchling
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 09:23:12 AM »
I looked at the guide. It looks like the voltage is stepped down by the docking station, so as long as you use the docking station you should not have a problem. Your 2 amp inline fuse is fine even if it is also fused prior to the inline fuse. Have fun. :BEER:
2014 California Touring

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 09:34:19 AM »
Sorry, when I read your original post I thought you had cut the 5 Volt adapter off your Garmin and were wiring it directly to 12 Volts.
Referring to page 9 of the manual you attached in post No 8, is that the adapter you have?
If so wire the red wire to the fuse and the black wire to chassis.
I have found the adapters seem to draw a small current even when the GPS is not attached, over a few weeks this is enough to flatten the battery. hopefully the fuse you show is turned off with the key.

I went to an all boys school, I didn't have any female attributes to distract me in science class, more's the pity. ???

You didn't like the Garmin?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 09:54:50 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Bill Hagan

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 09:41:54 AM »
Sorry, when I read your original post I thought you had cut the 5 Volt adapter off your Garmin and were wiring it directly to 12 Volts

I can see why.   ::) 

Apologies for being unclear.

I looked at the guide. It looks like the voltage is stepped down by the docking station, so as long as you use the docking station you should not have a problem. Your 2 amp inline fuse is fine even if it is also fused prior to the inline fuse. Have fun. :BEER:

Thanks. 

Thought so, but the confirmation is comforting.

And, yes, re cradle.  Only used with such.

Bill

Bill Hagan

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 10:08:02 AM »
Sorry, when I read your original post I thought you had cut the 5 Volt adapter off your Garmin and were wiring it directly to 12 Volts.
Referring to page 9 of the manual you attached in post No 8, is that the adapter you have?
If so wire the red wire to the fuse and the black wire to chassis.
I have found the adapters seem to draw a small current even when the GPS is not attached, over a few weeks this is enough to flatten the battery. hopefully the fuse you show is turned off with the key.

I went to an all boys school, I didn't have any female attributes to distract me in science class, more's the pity. ???

You didn't like the Garmin?

Will check those connections to be sure.  I know that the "always on" GPS was an issue for my brother with his first Norge.  Same connection with Garmin on this Norge never had that issue.  Only known drain is the flashing red light of the fake theft alarm.

Yes, after all these years, I remember some things about high school vividly.  Others, e.g., the curriculum, not so much.   ;)

Yes, I liked that Zumo, and better, so far, than the Tom Tom.  In fairness, I had many more "flying hours" on the 550, and was used to its positive and negatives.  I'll grow, I'm sure (or, at least, hope) to feel similarly about the Rider.

I'd still have the Zumo if I hadn't (stupidly) left it in a hotel room on a trip.  May 2013; Greenville, Indiana.  I have always been a generous tipper for housekeeping staff, but, while I still do, that experience soured me.   :-[

Bill

Offline guzziks

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2015, 07:48:27 PM »
I assume your norge is the same as mine, 2007 with ABS.  If so then your wiring diagram is incorrect.  I believe the one you show is for the non ABS version, which was not sold in the US.

I really like the printout, how did you manage that.  What size is it?

Anyway you need to go to Carl Allisons site and get the ABS version.  It is quite different. 

Regardless of which one there is a lot of electrical witchcraft going on.
Walt Collins
07 Norge
sv650 track bike

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2015, 08:01:21 PM »
<snapping suspenders> Entirely too much..  ;D
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline trippah

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2015, 11:31:31 PM »
Bill - no help with the wiring but I had to take a typing class over the Summer of my junior to senior year in high school (I was planning on working at Cape Cod).  I sat next to (and tried valiantly not to drool on) a well endowed sophomore gal who I am sure could never see the keyboard.  Although she was the best typist in the class, she rejected me (imagine brains and looks her-not me):BUT, when I arrived at MACV in Plieku years later with the US Army, my ability to type kept me in a relatively safe location compared to replacing a fellow who had wound up too close to a motor round.  Funny how things work put.
I thought you liked maps. why the GPS? 

Bill Hagan

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2015, 07:29:55 AM »
I assume your norge is the same as mine, 2007 with ABS.  If so then your wiring diagram is incorrect.  I believe the one you show is for the non ABS version, which was not sold in the US.

I really like the printout, how did you manage that.  What size is it?

Anyway you need to go to Carl Allisons site and get the ABS version.  It is quite different. 

Yes, thanks.  I previously responded to you on that [see below], but it was buried in the witchcraft.   ;D

Seriously, thanks.

The latest versions I've found of Carl's are here: http://guzzitek.org/schemas_electriques/gb/1200/norge_1200/Norge1200_ABS_2007.gif & http://www.thisoldtractor.com/guzzi007/schematics/2007_Norge_ABS.gif

Sadly, it's all gibberish to me, tbut they appear to be the same.  I intend to take one of those to Staples to see if they can print it on one of their (way-bigger-than-mine ... so to speak  :o ... ) printers.

So, Walt/guzziks, what I have here is not the latest; yours may be.  I just printed one along the way and have been meaning to check to see what the latest version is.  At the same time, for a guy like me, that may as well be Gaelic script, as I haven’t a clue how to use it.  It does impress Kathi when she sees me studying it, tho, so I keep it around.

Bill - no help with the wiring but I had to take a typing class over the Summer of my junior to senior year in high school (I was planning on working at Cape Cod).  I sat next to (and tried valiantly not to drool on) a well endowed sophomore gal who I am sure could never see the keyboard.  Although she was the best typist in the class, she rejected me (imagine brains and looks her-not me):BUT, when I arrived at MACV in Plieku years later with the US Army, my ability to type kept me in a relatively safe location compared to replacing a fellow who had wound up too close to a motor round.  Funny how things work put.
I thought you liked maps. why the GPS? 

Wonder how they are doing now?   I'll see Marilyn at my 50th (gasp  ;-T :o) HS reunion this August.  She still looked very fine at the 40th. And, yes, fate, as in RVN, is funny ... or not.  Glad you aren't on the wall.

As for maps v. GPS, like 'em both. I prefer maps for planning trips, but GPS is mighty fine when things unravel while underway.  See e.g.,

<snapping suspenders> Entirely too much..  ;D

Noted, Chuck.  Payback will be served cold.   ;)

Charlie of Antietam Cycle fame will drop in today while enjoying the grand weather, so he will no doubt be of some assistance -- while laughing -- at me.  Unfortunately, Kathi has decided that today is mostly a weed-whacking and chainsaw day, so I'll likely not be able to do much other than nod knowingly (and fraudulently  ;)) to Charlie's wisdom.

Oh ... a sincere thanks, too, to Kiwi_Roy for some very helpful off-line assistance. 

Bill

oldbike54

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2015, 07:49:40 AM »
 Self inflected wounds are the worst  ;D

Dusty

Offline MiLD GRiSO

• New Egg
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2015, 10:19:09 AM »
I wonder how you got to La Farge.

Bill Hagan

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2015, 01:07:52 PM »
I wonder how you got to La Farge.

By motorcycle.   ;D

Actually, at that (photo's) point, the challenge was getting out of La Farge, not getting to it.

I spent 2011 - 2013 in the QC.  Loved that part of the world, and rode as much as I could in the Driftless.  As I was a geo-bachelor for those two years, weather and work were constraints, not  :wife:  ;).

Larry LaHue -- "lash" here -- came up from Florida to visit several times.  He'd ride my Norge; I, the Griso. 

Bill

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here