Author Topic: Helmet Break In  (Read 691 times)

Offline AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
Helmet Break In
« on: April 12, 2021, 02:23:47 PM »
Buying my first helmet in a very long time. Previous helmets have been HJC fullface. This time I'm trying a Shark Ridill as I've read many positive things about Shark here. This is the smallest helmet I've ever had, XL versus multiple X's with HJC. I'd say the Shark helmet fits correctly, about as snug as can be. However the cheek pads literally squeeze my face to the point that I am biting the insides of my cheeks. I almost have duck lips. Is this something I can expect to wear in over time? I hate buying helmets. It's way too much money spent hoping something will be comfortable some time in the future.

Thanks,

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Helmet Break In
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 02:56:26 PM »
I had the same problem and it didn’t get any looser.Try to trade it for a larger one.I had to quit wearing mine and give it away.I think it was a scorpion.

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 04:10:48 PM »
On some helmets you can get different cheek pads to eliminate this problem. Scorpion and Nolan have them available. I would call the manufacturer for advice. I did that with my Nolan, they were very helpful.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline moto

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Potrebbe andare peggio, potrebbe piovere!
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2021, 05:16:41 PM »
I agree that calling the manufacturer is the first step. If that doesn't help, take a wooden mallet to them. Or a sharp knife.

The cheek pads are not brain-protecting elements, so some creative, brutal adjustment is not unreasonable, and is arguably better than buying another helmet that is too loose on your cranium just to give you more cheek room. Alternatively, shop for a different brand that is more your head shape. They do differ quite a bit.

Moto
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 05:23:26 PM by moto »
850 T-3
Griso 1100 corretto
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350
Italjet Buccaneer 250 (ex-SSR) -- now sold
credit for 2500+ postings lost in the database meltdown of Feb 9, 2020

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2021, 05:16:41 PM »

Offline AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2021, 07:27:00 PM »
Thanks. I have emailed Shark. I don't see a phone number on their website. We'll see if I get a response. I'd say the fit for head shape is pretty good.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline Guzikid

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2021, 10:49:52 PM »
  Helmets are shaped different by each manufacturer. Our head shapes are different too.  I would suggest you find a dealership that handles many different brands of helmets and go spend some time trying them on.  You need to make sure that a new helmet doesn't fit too tight or too loose.  A new helmet will break in with usage so you would choose one that is a little firm around your forehead with a little fore and aft movement using your hands against each side of the helmet. Also, make sure the helmet straps are fastened and secured under your chin area while doing this testing. Some helmets break in more than other brands do.  The manufacturers (higher end) will offer different models to fit different shaped heads i.e. round, egg shape, oblong, etc..  Trying on and choosing a helmet can be a little work but, if done correctly will reward you with a comfortable fit and reasonably quiet helmet that will protect you properly in case.......well, you know what I mean.  And, don't forget, you should replace your helmet every five years, 2 years if you are racing.  There you go.....Selecting a proper helmet 101 !!!  The Kid

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 06:12:15 AM »
I have had to mix padding sizes on several helmets when trying to find a shape that works for me. 

The Bell Star Carbon that I use with the V7 is my best fitting helmet ever.  There is no guarantee  that a replacement Bell Star Carbon will fit the same.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2021, 06:27:50 AM »
Yeah. so hopefully they have interchangeable cheek pads.

We use the HJC helmets - I have one in an XL and another in XXL and they both fit the same.  Different year of manufacture, maybe.  My Fulmer helmets were like that. 

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2021, 09:21:22 AM »
If you can remove the pads some SLIGHT pressure with a large spoon can compress the foam a wee bit.  helmet makers will tell you not to do this but I'd think you'll get tired of the fit quickly so what's not to lose? 
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Jorg66

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2021, 10:29:33 AM »
Ya call the Manufacturer ,or ,............sell it and buy something that will fit you better, otherwise, you don't want a Helmet that might 'ruin' a Ride .
I ended up with a Scorpion, ......DOT and EC .
But stongly considered ,Joe Rocket/HJC.
Now 2019 California ,,2018 [ New] V7 III Carbon Dark
Ex  1979 Kreidler Florett, 1980 Z 550 , 1969Nuovo Falcone/ Polizzia,2006 VTX 1300 C ,1982 Honda CB 125 S

Offline AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2021, 10:55:17 AM »
I have never found a helmet in a dealership I could try on. Never ever. They just don't stock my size. I'm waiting to hear back from Shark. I guess if I don't hear back that's a sign in and of itself to send it back and try something else.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2021, 11:04:24 AM »
I agree with others who said that is the crown of your head fits but the cheeks are too tight, just replace the cheekpads with a thinner set (next size or two up)

ASSUMING THE SHELL SIZE IS THE SAME. I'd bet they only make 2-3 shell sizes and the rest of the fit is down to what 'size' cheekpads and other pieces are in there. That seems to be the general rule.

I bought my wife a christmas helmet and she had the same issue... Loved the helmet, and the head fit was great, but the cheekpads were uncomfortably tight..  She started with the size S, but I replaced the cheek pads with Medium replacements, and now it fits perfect without modifying any of the pieces. In her case it's a Scorpion helemt, they only had two shell sizes, XS-S-M and L-XL-XXL
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here