Author Topic: Change tires  (Read 3860 times)

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
Change tires
« on: August 14, 2015, 11:48:24 PM »
 Time for the yearly inspection to be legally registered.  The inspector says change that tire or no sticker.
 Naturally it is the rear tire on a Honda 750 shaft drive Aero.  This means it is a nasty job just to get the wheel off the machine.
 It takes an hour.  It is a 170X80X15 tire, I,m not even going to try to break the bead myself.  In Washington State the local motorcycle dealer was a friend who would let be use his equipment.  Today all I have is my Harley tire irons and a good supply of profanity.
 I take the wheel to the auto garage, (the nearest MC shop is 50 miles away) and they are kind enough to press off the beads.
  I go home and begin the siege.  Getting the first side off is merely strenuous but I succeed.  Getting the second side off is showing me how weak I have become at age 71.  I have nothing to hold the wheel so I have to hold it with one hand while levering with the other.
 If you have never tried this, don't.  That's my advice.  I takes three levers and one hand must hold the wheel down while manipulating the three tire irons.  This means using an armpit and teeth
(I only have 9 of those left) to finally work the tire off the rim.
 That's when I notice that the dunlop tire I bought says tubeless.  This is an old fashioned spoked rim using a tube type.
 It's Friday late and the MC shop is 50 miles away.  Forkit! I'm putting it on anyway.  I slather the rim and bead with weiner schlider
 that's unscented KY jelly, do the same for the tire and begin the fight anew. T'snot at all easy.  The wheel fights me all the way.
  The first side on, the tube goes in, then I inflate the tube with enough air to almost set the first bead.  Then I fight the other side into place.  I pressurize enough to partially set the beads to make sure the tube is not folded.  Only then do I put in the valve core and inflate the tube until I hear the beads pop into place.  I check pressure with three different gauges.  The first one I didn't trust, the second one didn't work, and I finally found the good one.  Less than twenty PSI.  Good.  I air it up to 31 PSI and put the valve cap on.
 I'm not going to put the wheel back on the bike until tomorrow when I will know if it is holding air.  I can do this easily because it is raining outside again.
  When I go to wash up I realize that the job may not be complete.  I have shed no blood nor broken any bones.  This worries me.
 Without the obligatory blood sacrifice,  I have no assurance that the tire will hold air.  O well,  tomorrow will tell.
  I'm going to shower and change and go for Kava.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Change tires
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 11:45:52 AM »
Now a days it is difficult to find a tire that does not say tubeless. In this case I don't think it makes a difference.
'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 02:13:39 PM »
So did you pinch the tube?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 02:14:23 PM by john A »
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Penderic

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 02:38:47 PM »
I got two on order and I am going to give it go! Lord help me, Lord!
Got some blue plastic rim protectors, gloves, safety gear, assorted lever and dull persuasion tools and, of course, my Shakespearian Swear Word list that I am going to try this time with the Michelins.

The Italian swear words didnt work at all with the Pirellis last time and I didn't want to be arrested using the Australian insult list during the tire install.  :wink:

« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 02:40:15 PM by Penderic »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 02:38:47 PM »

Offline cookiemech

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 04:03:10 PM »
I dunno . . . seems you did just fine!

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 05:27:04 PM »
  I like the Beslubbering,  I've never heard that one before.
 When things get so difficult that, "Oh the perversity of inanimate objects",  simply won't cover it,  I get down one I heard a soldier use when I was in the army.  It is, "You Siamese ratchet headed afterbirth of a Mongolian cluster f--- "  When used in the heat of the moment, I have never heard a comeback to it from either a person or object.  They are probably stunned just trying to digest what it means.

Anyway this morning the tire still had some air in it so with much profanity I put the wheel back on the machine.
 Most of my time was wasted looking for tools that I used to have but can no longer find.  One of the problems of moving off the continent.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 05:30:13 PM by Sasquatch Jim »

Penderic

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 06:17:37 PM »
WWII had a popular phase: "Situation. Normal. All Fowled Up!" or SNAFU.

Bring that one back.

:smiley:

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 07:16:23 PM »
The version I am accustomed to did not contain the word "fouled" up, but father a much more satisfying adjective.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2015, 07:17:14 PM »
So did you pinch the tube?
[/quote

No but I tickled it.

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2015, 07:21:11 PM »
WWII had a popular phase: "Situation. Normal. All Fowled Up!" or SNAFU.

Bring that one back.

:smiley:

It has been replaced by FUBAR.   f---k-d up beyond all redemption.  It began use in the army in the early sixties.

We didn't think Snafu was quite strong enough.

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2015, 07:46:51 PM »
I got two on order and I am going to give it go! Lord help me, Lord!
Got some blue plastic rim protectors, gloves, safety gear, assorted lever and dull persuasion tools and, of course, my Shakespearian Swear Word list that I am going to try this time with the Michelins.
The Italian swear words didnt work at all with the Pirellis last time and I didn't want to be arrested using the Australian insult list during the tire install.  :wink:

That's the abridged list - it doesn't have "addle-pated"!
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2015, 10:35:24 PM »
It has been replaced by FUBAR.   f---k-d up beyond all redemption.  It began use in the army in the early sixties.

We didn't think Snafu was quite strong enough.

One that is common in our forces is SABU   Self adjusting Balls Up
New Zealand
2002 Ev tourer (Stalled again...)

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here