Author Topic: pushing the small block too hard?  (Read 7532 times)

Offline drlapo

• Gaggle Hero
Re: pushing the small block too hard?
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2015, 08:25:41 AM »
I think the BMW 70% rule was for cruising speed not a shift point
Efficiency?
Mileage?

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
Re: pushing the small block too hard?
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2015, 05:14:17 PM »
My two cents:

I think max horsepower on single TB small blocks is just past 6,000 rpm.  Maybe at 6,300 rpm or so.   Thus you don't gain more power revving past that.    The small block is probably making same horsepower at 7,000 plus as it does at high 5,000 range.  So why go there?

I recall that BMW, for the airheads, used to publish max rpm figures (i.e. redline), as well as "maximum continuous rpm" figures.   The max continuous was maybe 500 to 750 rpm below absolute redline.   So to extrapolate, maybe the Guzzi small block is ok for brief periods (red line) at 7,000 someodd, but maximum continuous rpm (on Autobahn) is maybe 6,500 rpm.   

Finally, I think a lot of this boils down to what is meant by "not hurting" the engine. We all agree that running low on oil, or running without an air filter, is "hurting" the bike. It will clearly suffer in short order. 

But high revs, working the bike hard, etc?  Well, that probably doesn't "hurt" the bike if your projected lifespan is 50,000 to 75,000 miles.   But if you are shooting for 150,000 or 200,000 miles with minimal repairs, then no, I expect you don't want to be revving it that much that often.

But, I'm not a master mechanic.  I just know what I read in the papers.

I agree, Swede, and prefer my bikes to last as long as they can while not babying them along the way.  :boozing:

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here