Author Topic: screw the electric cars  (Read 8517 times)

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
screw the electric cars
« on: December 07, 2015, 06:20:16 PM »
  After researching electric cars, motorcycles, and atvs,  I finally came to the conclusion that nobody sells what I need.
 So after consulting with Hawaii DMV, a draconian bureaucracy if ever there was one,  I got them to say they would let me license a Rokon.  So today I wrote the check to Rokon to purchase a Rokon with a sidecar.  This will be like having an atv with a license plate.  I have wanted a Rokon for many years but was always put off by the fact that they could not be licensed.  They offered a street legal kit but DMV would not approve it because the first ten figures in the VIN weren't what they wanted to see.  Recently, Rokon has been making one of their models that does meet all the requirements.
 So about the early days of the new year I should be receiving the new toy.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: screw the electric cars
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 06:45:32 PM »
PICS?
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

canuguzzi

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 06:55:40 PM »
I bet that would make a great dune machine.

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 07:58:31 PM »
 Excellent photo but mine will have slightly more civilized tires to qualify for a license plate.
 Mine will also have the leading link front fork which is the only way they can have an actual suspension and still have the driven front wheel.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 08:00:47 PM by Sasquatch Jim »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 07:58:31 PM »

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 09:10:26 PM »
 That is going to be cool! :afro:
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 09:33:51 PM »
I don't know anything about the engine, driveline etc,,, but it looks like a beast,,, with some creative additions to the hack frame, it could be as handy as a small pick up truck!
Curious to hear how you like it.

Kelly
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 02:00:40 AM »
  That's what I like about it.  The utility ability.  The engine is slightly more than 200cc and about 7 HP max.
  It uses a torque converter type clutch through a 3 speed transmission.  In the specs it gave the top speed in each gear
 as 10 MPH in first gear -- 20 MPH in second-- and 35 MPH in third with the engine turning about 3600 RPM.
 The sidecar is rated safe with 400 pounds of cargo.  The ones that are not street legal are listed in the title as an agricultural vehicle which is why they cannot be licensed.  There are even agricultural attachments among the accessories
 available from the factory, so you know it has to be strongly built.  The aluminum wheels can be filled with drinking water or gasoline for expedition type riding.  If left empty they offer flotation on water for crossing deep rivers or lakes.
  I suppose with the sidecar it might even stay upright in the water, although in the videos I have seen of the two wheel version, they let it float on its' side in deep water.  When they get to shallow water they stand it up and start the engine and ride it out onto the land.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 11:29:39 PM by Sasquatch Jim »

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 07:11:45 PM »
You should be able to ride down into Pololu Valley and get real stuck.  What happen to picking up chicks with the Honda hack?  Oh......wait a minute, this could get political.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2015, 11:41:46 PM »
  I still take ladies, especially young one out for drive by shootings in the hack on the Honda.
 I sold the DR650 with Ural because it required body english to control it off road and my legs just keep getting weaker.
 This should replace the DR nicely.  Fo one thing, this one has no foot controls at all. everything is in the hands and the torque converter means automatic clutch.  In granny gear it can climb anything it doesn't fall out of.
 I would bet that a good rider could take one of the two wheel ones up a ladder as long as it wasn't so steep as to fall off backwards.  The non street legal ones are actually titled as agricultural vehicle like a tractor.  You can get agricultural
attachments to use on it.  I am hoping to get mine before the new year but it all depends on when they ship it.  The check should be in their hands by the end of this week.

Offline NCAmother

• Gaggle Mentor
    • NathanAppel (NSFW)
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2015, 01:33:07 AM »
Welcome to the 21st. There has been no period in time over the 120 years that has been as progresive as we are today.   Soon, cars will market 40th of the roadways in 2018 (quoting my cousin who works programming and marketing self driving cars, map redundant cars and smart area guard cars)   So, yeah he works with Google and Tesla's new self driven car. Our society is built on a bunch of loudmouths, this will give the driver a chance to squawk.  But I don't believe self guiding cars will match normal car sales until 2025.  And trust me, if they can put sensors in cars they can monitor mph/wrecks, whatever.   Now the good news my friend, I believe I have 6-7 years left in my life.  If that means I break state law, screw it.   We'll be the last generation of rebels.

Offline davedel44

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2015, 07:42:51 AM »
Jim,
Randy Teft MGNOC New Hampshire rep rode a ROKON cross country Atlantic to Pacific.  Lives near the ROKON factory.  Bet he'd be a source for any ROKON questions.

Looks like great fun !

Dave
Galveston

Bambino- 2013 V7 Stone

Offline azguzzirep

• Gaggle Hero
  • Gratzi Carlo!
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2015, 09:36:20 AM »
I like what Neil Young has done with his old Lincoln.

www.lincvolt.com

Did it all mostly with his own money. I found out about it reading his autobiography. (I think there is a joke in there, somewhere!)

TOM
Murphy's  Law sucks!

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2015, 09:44:02 AM »
Awaiting the chick magnet factor......  :boozing:
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2015, 12:49:01 PM »
Jimmee......Makes more sense now.  I thought you were moving more into the weeds out there.  We had a Rokon on Oahu.  My brother used it on his farm.  Pulled some crazy angles on hills and mud.  He was growing wetland taro.  He traded a VW Bug for a water buffalo.  Both the water buffalo and Rokon were valuable tools. 

Randy said that the Rokon engine is essentially a lawn mower engine and replacement is faster and easier that a rebuild.  Rebuild parts should be everywhere.  Seems like a spare engine could be part of the mix.

Storage of water and/or gas in the wheel hubs is a pretty cool feature.  For your choice on that side of the island.  I'd say it's a cool toy.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Penderic

« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 01:21:52 PM by Penderic »

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2015, 01:25:46 PM »
I like what Neil Young has done with his old Lincoln.

www.lincvolt.com

Did it all mostly with his own money. I found out about it reading his autobiography. (I think there is a joke in there, somewhere!)

TOM

I believe it caught fire and burned while in his garage
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Offline dlapierre

• Gosling
    • Habitat Farm
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2015, 01:49:43 PM »
I don't see the point of any of these for real work. I bought a used Kubota RTV, 900 cc 3cyl, 4wd diesel for farm work. It will carry 1,000 lb load, needs only a 4' something wide trail to go down. And, I sit under a roll-bar canopy out of the weather (mostly, it has no doors) when I use it. It'l go pretty much anywhere I can take a trail bike.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2015, 02:24:37 PM »
The point of a Rokon is that it'll go where a dirt bike and rider can't go.  Jim needs it because he has limited lower body use.

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2015, 11:04:18 PM »
  Okay here is what they said is being shipped to me, with of course the sidecar. note the street legal tires

« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 11:07:14 PM by Sasquatch Jim »

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2015, 01:14:10 PM »
What's the freight charges on that?  Any idea?

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2015, 04:01:24 PM »
  Aprox. 1200 Hawaiian dollars is supposed to get it from New hampshire.

Offline Kent in Upstate NY

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2015, 07:36:41 PM »
Something like this?
Correctional educators don't make the criminals you fear. We make the criminals you fear smarter.

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2015, 09:18:39 PM »
  Yes but with the street legal tires like these.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2015, 12:13:11 PM »
Cool!  What is that like 4' wide?

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2015, 12:34:09 PM »
  I won't know until it gets here.  First ride will probably be down to the lighthouse.  It's a road that some 4wds
 balk at.  Next will be to the Mo'okini and the Kings' birth place.  I haven't been to those places since I sold the DR650
 with sidecar.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2015, 01:03:53 PM »
A Jeep would be okay.  The current trend with long and wide 4X4's don't work on that road.  A short 2X2 would work w/granny gear trans..  The last time the whole road was open, I took my Daytona down there.  Very slow going.  Short be fun! 

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2015, 02:15:45 PM »
A Jeep would be okay.  The current trend with long and wide 4X4's don't work on that road.  A short 2X2 would work w/granny gear trans..  The last time the whole road was open, I took my Daytona down there.  Very slow going.  Short be fun!

And lots of ground clearance or you will have your oil pan inspected by sharp lava rocks.
 Ground clearance and the ability to slow crawl are more needed than 4wd.
 My new machine is supposed to have 18 inches of ground clearance and creepability.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2015, 02:18:11 PM »
They are fun to ride.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2015, 04:07:51 PM »
Good on you, Jim..  :thumb:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2015, 04:16:31 PM »
Waiting for the pics of this beast SJ.

Hoping it turns out to be the ideal vehicle for you.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here