Author Topic: [NGC] Craftsmen  (Read 3562 times)

twowings

[NGC] Craftsmen
« on: March 09, 2016, 12:01:51 PM »
Thought some of the older guys (and I include myself) here might enjoy this:

Full article found here:

http://theoldmotor.com/?p=155784

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: [NGC] Craftsmen
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 12:10:08 PM »
I've ran a Landis grinder like this..  :smiley:

Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

HardAspie

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 12:11:09 PM »
Very little of this remaining. Labour has become deskilled. Just push this button. . .

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 12:17:06 PM »
Skilled machinists are still around.  A tour of your local automotive machine shop may surprise you.  But you sure won't see machines to cam grind pistons!
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 12:17:06 PM »

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 12:33:23 PM »
AAAAHHH! The good old days when a machinist poured his own babbit. Had to cringe when I saw the open belts and the operator wearing a shop coat.
'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 12:58:36 PM »
Yeah, our modern health and safety codes that people whinge about began back in those days of three-fingered and one-armed, one-eyed machinists.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 01:15:52 PM »
  Or you could do it like Burt Munro by casting your pistons in a can and turning them on a home made lathe.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 02:48:05 PM »
Sorry HA but I must disagree. The people that program 7 axis mill turn machines are highly skilled - just different skills

TJ I know of 2 companies over here that can cam turn piston rings so not all the more obscure techniques are dead

There's room for and a need for all
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 03:09:09 PM »
I understand, Tris.  You just don' t normally find things like that in a typical automotive machine shop now.  Model shops and prototype shops can have some neat stuff though.  Back when I was in college, the process for making prototype boat propellers could be pretty skill oriented, with a lot of hand work, for example.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 05:47:47 PM »
Check out the bloke in the tie. He could be your doctor if his coat was cleaner :grin:
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

Offline jbell

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Some progress
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 05:49:56 PM »
Thanks for the posting twowings.  Great old photos.
'75 Ducati 860 GT  On the road
'76 Guzzi T3   Future project
'78 Guzzi G5  Current project
'81 Guzzi G5  Organ donor
'92 BMW K75RT  On the road
'16 Triumph Thruxton R  "Holy Moly"  Gone but not forgotten, sigh.

"Be yourself, everyone else is taken".......Oscar Wilde

HardAspie

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2016, 07:00:55 PM »
I've been a printer; done just about every task and phase.  In the olden days if one needed type for some specific use, then that person would have to count the words in the provided copy - separating body from head from any sub heads. That someone would have to judge which type faces and versions would look nice and be readable and attractive within the setting. The person had to know what sort of thing the type had to fit: column width and total inches. Are there multiple columns assigned and if so are they adjacent or on different pages? What does the layout actually look like. Correct spellings and or errors in grammar in the copy.

Then the math began. How many words, how many headers or footers or whatever? What is the X height of the type face and style and size chosen, what will be the intended leading and how much space after any heads? Run the math and see how many inches you have versus how many you need; then compare these and make a better guess at type specifications. Try to not have clumsy paragraph breaks at the bottoms or tops of columns. Get it worked out. Then hand corrected copy along with your specifications to the typesetter. You want it right because whether the typesetter is operating a real Linotype or Intertype hot type machine a more modern Linotype Hell Phototypestter; your company has paid for the output and will not want to buy a second run because you're not such a good typographer...and that was a position and a trade and a good one...and I was one.

Now type it all in to a page layout programme and let the software do the work and it is so easy and so many printed things look like hell because too many types and no consideration of type on a real page with contrast between stock and ink. There may still be skills in printing, but they ain't the same.

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2016, 07:09:45 PM »
I learned with a California Job Case and a composing stick, but it was only junior high school printing class.     :grin:

Online NCAmother

• Gaggle Mentor
    • NathanAppel (NSFW)
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2016, 07:13:23 PM »
cool historical pics.  There are still so many craftsman (women) it will always produce a job market.  A craftswoman built my aluminum tank for my guzzi

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2016, 07:44:48 PM »
I had a Van Norman piston turning and grinding machine with full sets of dies for cam grinding Pistons for Indians,Studebakers on and on.I traded it for some head work because at the time I didn't have a place for it. It weighed about 1500 pounds. Enjoyable to fool around with, wish I still had it
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 07:49:00 AM by John A »
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

HardAspie

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2016, 07:49:21 PM »
I had a Van Norman piston turning and grinding machine with full sets of dies for cam grinding Indians,Studebakers on and on.I traded it for some head work because at the time I didn't have a place for it. It weighed about 1500 pounds. Enjoyable to fool around with, wish I still had it

I'd pay admission to see that thing in operation.

Offline dl.allen

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2016, 08:50:41 PM »
anyone know of where I can get old con rods from a Triumph 650 re-babbited?

Hymes Inc.

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2016, 09:16:41 PM »
Both my manual mill (1893 Becker) and my manual lathe (1927 P&W) are wonderful machines still. Although the Becker has had its overhead belt replaced with a modern electric motor.

oldbike54

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2016, 09:27:35 PM »
anyone know of where I can get old con rods from a Triumph 650 re-babbited?

If ya just gotta , Paul's Rod and Bearing , Parkville MO. I would get the machine work done and convert to inserts .

Dusty

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here