Author Topic: Fork Seals; New Bike; Am I being unreasonable?  (Read 10164 times)

Offline MGPilot

• Gosling
Fork Seals; New Bike; Am I being unreasonable?
« on: May 16, 2016, 01:41:39 PM »
A front fork seal has been leaking on my 2015 Norge; was purchased new in March of 2016; it now has 736 miles on it. I think it should be fixed under warranty. The shop expects Moto Guzzi to say, "Just live with it."  I've ridden on and off since 1978; Honda/BMW's/now Moto Guzzi. Never had this issue before and certainly don't expect it with a new bike.  Last image shows the fluid where it has soaked into the garage floor.

So, am I being unreasonable to expect this to be corrected under warranty?

« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 01:48:59 PM by MGPilot »
2014 Morgan Three Wheeler

oldbike54

Re: Fork Seals; New Bike; Am I being unreasonable?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 01:51:17 PM »
 No .

Dusty

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 01:59:24 PM »
2-months old bike with less than a thou on the clock ?

That should be a no-brainer warranty repair.

Should be.... 
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline jackson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 02:08:11 PM »
I don't understand why a shop would say that Guzzi will probably expect you to just live with it.  It's a new bike and it's under warranty.  Just be firm and tell them that you want it repaired under the warranty.
NO longer can ride

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 02:08:11 PM »

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 02:10:27 PM »
Can't imagine a dealer would want you to live with that issue, even if Guzzi HQ wouldn't reimburse them, which with a bumper to bumper warranty, they should get reimbursed no matter what. 
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 03:23:57 PM »
Have you seriously POed the dealer? <shrug> That's the only scenario that makes sense to me..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

twowings

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 03:36:00 PM »
I'd be leery of a selling dealer not standing behind a brand-new bike with no obvious signs of owner abuse...he/she is throwing away a lot of potential future business by alienating you right from the start...is there another dealer within a reasonable distance? Maybe it's time to investigate...

beetle

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 03:45:53 PM »
Fork seal? Yes. You're being unreasonable. Fork seals are a consumable, just like tyres. If you get a puncture after 736 miles are going to claim warranty? Guzzi can no more prevent shit from the road buggering up your fork seals than they can from punctures. Suck it up.

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 03:53:47 PM »
Fork seal? Yes. You're being unreasonable. Fork seals are a consumable, just like tyres. If you get a puncture after 736 miles are going to claim warranty? Guzzi can no more prevent shit from the road buggering up your fork seals than they can from punctures. Suck it up.

If I had a ding from a rock on my fork tube, I'd totally understand that position.

If not, then my first thought would be faulty seal or faulty seal install at the factory.

And, i'd pursue it as a warranty claim.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 03:58:12 PM »
Is a fork seal a wear part and exempt from warranty? Yes.

Can a seal be damaged by bad installation or a marred fork tube, just as it could be by road debris? Yes.

Should the dealer offer a compromise as a goodwill gesture, and check for possible factory-level damage in the process? If they are wise, but they are under no obligation (other than goodwill) to do so.

When I worked at a dealership, we did such work in most similar cases; we often asked the customer to pay for the parts or the labor, but not both.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2016, 04:17:12 PM »
For $5-10, I'd try one of those fork seal cleaners:

http://sealmate.net/

Rich

beetle

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2016, 04:23:19 PM »
Don't even buy a sealmate. Make one for a plastic container lid.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2016, 05:32:11 PM »

Nah, that's like saying an engine oil leak shouldn't be covered.

There are degrees of consumables and it's unreasonable for a fork seal to be leaking in this short a time frame/mileage.
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

beetle

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2016, 06:04:03 PM »
Rubbish. A fork seal is a consumable. You can't compare it to an engine oil leak. :violent1:
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 06:05:21 PM by beetle »

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2016, 07:12:37 PM »
Rubbish. A fork seal is a consumable. You can't compare it to an engine oil leak. :violent1:

Seriously?  In 2 months and 736 miles?   I think not...
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline Bisbonian

• Gaggle Hero
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2016, 07:19:46 PM »
Seriously?  In 2 months and 736 miles?   I think not...

Agree with PJPR01

oldbike54

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2016, 07:27:40 PM »
 Before this turns into another kerfuffle (one a day is adequate  :laugh:) , is there any chance that the dealer might attempt the seal cleaning trick ? Takes about 2 minutes if one must cut the tool , and costs nothing . Just sayin'  :grin:

Dusty

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2016, 07:34:35 PM »
What ITsec said. Mileage is pretty low but in the same vein, would you try to warranty a flat tire? Too many things can cause the seal to leak (dead bugs etc.) beyond the control of the manufacture.

One would think the dealer would do something to help out but that would be on a case by case basis.
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2016, 07:34:49 PM »
Before this turns into another kerfuffle (one a day is adequate  :laugh:) , is there any chance that the dealer might attempt the seal cleaning trick ? Takes about 2 minutes if one must cut the tool , and costs nothing . Just sayin'  :grin:

Dusty

:1: have yet to not have this work on a reasonably new seal. usually just some dirt lodged . I cut mine out of plastic soda bottles.

oldbike54

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2016, 07:39:11 PM »
:1: have yet to not have this work on a reasonably new seal. usually just some dirt lodged . I cut mine out of plastic soda bottles.

Reminds me of the passage in Zen and the Art where Pirsig is cutting handlebar shims from an aluminum can for his friend's beemer . The friend insists Pirsig obtain and use the official BMW part for the application  :rolleyes: :laugh:

Dusty

Offline old as dirt 2

• Hatchling
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2016, 08:06:27 PM »
most definitely it should be covered.
2013 Norge
2008 MP3 500
bunch of other stuff that is long gone.

Offline Idontwantapickle

• Gaggle Hero
  • The rotation of the earth really makes my day.
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2016, 08:25:25 PM »
MG Pilot,
I have serviced one contraption or another for most of my life and if you had bought that from any organization I have worked for and had that issue as you describe it would be fixed with a smile, no cost to you. It is very bad form to crap all over customers with excuses and laying blame on the manufacturer. You should insist that it be repaired. These bikes are expensive. The customer deserves respect and the benefit of the doubt.
Go tell them to suck it up and fix it. Piaggio is not your problem.
Hunter
There is no end to what we can do together.
Sir James Paul McCartney

AMA Charter Life Member

72 Eldo
85 LeMans 1000 Loud, Fast and Red
2007 Norge rivestimento di argento
84 BMW R100RS

Offline Duc-Duc-Goose

• New Egg
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2016, 08:42:21 PM »
Well, I also have a '15 Norge, and it has about 850 miles on it. If this happened to me, I'd be bummed. I'd express my dismay to the dealer, regardless of whether it's a consumable part. This sort of thing kinda falls into customer satisfaction territory IMO. I am very confident the shop where I bought mine would make something like this right. I'd even be willing to go halves if they were courteous about it. Good luck! 
:violent1:

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2016, 08:56:04 PM »

Such black and white characterization is nonsense.

Every part of the bike has a limited life span and could be argued a consumable.

Tires and brakes are among the most obvious because their life spans area so relatively short.

But even with them, absent a sign of damage from use/exposure/abuse then such an unreasonably early failure should be covered by a warranty (unless specifically excluded).

Absent obvious damage or abuse seals should be very long lived components.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline timonbik

• Gosling
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2016, 09:06:45 PM »
Fork seals are not consumables.  That's like saying piston rings are consumables.  In Ontario leaking fork seals would prevent a bike from being certified.  I had a truck that had extended warranty and Dodge replaced leaking shocks on a 5 year old truck.  I realize tires and brake pads are consumables but if they FAILED prematurely I would still expect them to be covered.
2008 BREVA 750
2020 V85TT ADV rosso
2016 APRILIA SHIVER 750
2013 VICTORY JUDGE CUSTOM
2013 VICTORY XR CLASSIC
2006 VICTORY V92TC
2006 DUCATI MULTISTRADA 620 (IN DUCATI HEAVEN)

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2016, 09:27:55 PM »
Fork seals are not consumables.  That's like saying piston rings are consumables.  In Ontario leaking fork seals would prevent a bike from being certified.  I had a truck that had extended warranty and Dodge replaced leaking shocks on a 5 year old truck.  I realize tires and brake pads are consumables but if they FAILED prematurely I would still expect them to be covered.

I get what you're saying, but tires, fork seals and brakes are all exposed to the outside world and are subject to unpredictable causes of wear - dirt, rock chips, nails, and so on. Just as with tires and brake pads (and as I said earlier) there is a presumption of responsibility for such items. If the dealer can demonstrate that the failure is due to a warrantee-able cause (i.e. mis-installation, flawed tube) then a warranty claim should be made. If it is due to an unlucky encounter with grit or gunk, then it falls in the 'nail in a tire' category. I do believe it's in the dealer's best interests to offer a compromise as goodwill, and to pursue a warranty claim if the evidence on replacement supports that.

It may not be a win-win, but it doesn't have to be lose-lose.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2016, 09:29:45 PM »
MG Pilot, I know this is absolutely not the point you were making, but given the amount of knowledge you would have given your experience and also the amount of advice available here, do you reckon maybe this time just do it yourself ? That's not to be negative to you, but while it's leaking you could get some on your tyre or brake pads and it just looks shithouse. My Norge hasn't done as much as some here , but @ 94,000 k the seals are perfect and I expect others would have had as good or better run. Huzo.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2016, 09:33:11 PM »
I agree that it should be covered -- with a gaiter.  As far as the warranty issue, if I ran the shop I'd fix it on general principles, but I'd have it come in during a slack time to do it.  I might rethink that if the owner copped an attitude.  If I was the owner I wouldn't be worrying about it.  There is probably a chunk of crud allowing the leak and the seal cleaner of choice would probably cure it.

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2016, 09:36:10 PM »
When one of my seals 0m my 1200 Sport started leaking last year, I ordered a SEAL MATE tool. THAT FIXED THE PROBLEM!!!..  Started leaking several thousand miles later and it did the trick again! 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 09:37:31 PM by willowstreetguzziguy »
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Offline MGPilot

• Gosling
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2016, 09:49:43 PM »
FWIW, that fork started to show dark tracks or rings from the first ride. I thought it might settle in over time, but it's only gotten worse. So whatever is causing it has nothing to do with rocks or road damage.

In defense of the dealer, their response was to my first call about the issue. The photos (I hope) make it clear that I'm not just whining about a faint trace of oil on the fork.

The bike is scheduled for its 600 mile service on May 24th, so they can see it then....or sooner if they want me to bring it in for inspection.

What will I do if MG doesn't want to cover it?

Options range from paying the dealer & trying to get a discount, doing it myself....to just selling my bikes and dropping a company that won't stand behind its products. I could have a lot of fun with a Morgan or Caterham.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 09:50:41 PM by MGPilot »
2014 Morgan Three Wheeler

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here