Author Topic: Insurance - USAA/Progressive (NGC)  (Read 1895 times)

Offline OlDogface

• Hatchling
Insurance - USAA/Progressive (NGC)
« on: November 29, 2016, 07:40:23 PM »
First off, reading about Wayne and Vicky's unfortunate accident and the many positive comments the folks here have shared leaves me thankful to be a member of the Guzzi community. Their accident is very unfortunate and I wish them a speedy and full recovery.

My question is are there any members with USAA/Progressive insurance that have filed a motorcycle claim? I have had USAA for many years (homeowners, auto and umbrella) and they defer to Progressive for motorcycle insurance. I have had a few auto incidents over the years but thankfully I've never needed to file a claim on the bike. I'm wondering if the policies I have with these two carriers would stack? I can access my Progressive account from my USAA account online but pay the two policies separately. I live and am insured within Pennsylvania.

I know I could just call USAA and Progressive for an answer but am wondering if anyone here has had a real, live experience?
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

For every fact there is an infinity of hypotheses.
 ― Robert Pirsig

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Insurance - USAA/Progressive (NGC)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 08:19:51 PM »
Your motorcycle policy is with Progressive.  Your auto policy is with USAA.  They aren't connected other than an agreement from USAA to send all their motorcycle customers to Progressive.

USAA decided years ago that they did not want the risks associated with insuring motorcycles so they made the agreement with Progressive.  You can choose anyone else to insure your bike(s) if you want.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Cam Lay

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 08:47:06 PM »
I was under the impression that USAA owns Progressive but that is neither here nor there for this discussion. In my experience (my bighorn sheep-killing BMW was insured with Progressive) they are every bit as good as USAA. Excellent service, quick response time even in rural Montana, and a generously fair settlement. Including full replacement of my and Jsck's shredded riding gear.

I've been with USAA for over 30 years. My one complaint was that the adjuster that visited my house in Charleston after hurricane Hugo knew less about construction and repair than I did. They replaced him. Fabulous outfit. I have nothing but good things to say about them.

Regards,
C
Biology is destiny.  Culture is ecology.  Most things are beetles.

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 11:44:11 PM »
I was under the impression that USAA owns Progressive

No. They don't. Progressive is a publicly traded company, and is part of the S&P 500 index group.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2016, 11:44:11 PM »

Offline toma nova

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 11:53:44 AM »
Your motorcycle policy is with Progressive.  Your auto policy is with USAA.  They aren't connected other than an agreement from USAA to send all their motorcycle customers to Progressive.

USAA decided years ago that they did not want the risks associated with insuring motorcycles so they made the agreement with Progressive.  You can choose anyone else to insure your bike(s) if you want.

If you have a USAA umbrella (excess liability) policy, you must have your bike insured with Progressive.  If not, your USAA umbrella will not apply to bike claims. I looked for less expensive bike insurance (and less coverage) but stayed with USAA/Progressive for the umbrella coverage - lots of expensive cars around here should I ever hit one on the bike.

Tom
2014 Stelvio NTX
2008 1200 Sport - sold

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 12:46:26 PM »
Insurance is a very State-to-State affair but in general Progressive is usually the lowest price, has an easy to use website for managing/making changes to your policies, and has very good claims/customer support.

Wayne and Vicky's situation is a reminder to look closely at your underinsured coverage and to understand if your particular State allows any type of "stacking."  If you are involved in an accident that has any bodily injury your are going to be making an uninsured or underinsured claim.
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2016, 02:14:57 PM »
I am with Progressive bike ins. just because it is inexpensive and I hardly ever have a claim on MC ins.  Had a MC ins. claim when I had Geico ins. and they treated/handled me very good on my `81  CX100 Guzzi back in the late `90's.   Their agent new nothing about Guzzis, came to my house and had me educate him on what MGs were about with the help of my then MGNOC monthly newsletters.  As for bodily injury our own medical coverage covers there.

Offline OlDogface

• Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2016, 04:30:46 PM »
Thanks everyone! Great note about the umbrella policy with USAA covering the motorcycle under Progressive. I didn't know that.
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

For every fact there is an infinity of hypotheses.
 ― Robert Pirsig

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 06:00:42 PM »
I work in the industry for a gigantic company. All I can say, in capital letters, is READ YOUR POLICY. That's where it begins and where it ends. The policy is a contract. They have to meet it.  If the policy says they depreciate the bike - then that's how it goes. This topic inevitably brings up some folks who claim that adjustors are trained and rewarded on denying claims. This is a dead give away that he person has never had any direct experience in the insurance industry. The bad faith laws are quite clear and no company is going to risk treble damage suits just to hose you.

I worked claims as a surveyor for USAA for a number of years. They were a good company. Having said that, the former military/retired officers that made up their insureds were a delight to deal with.

As for Progressive and bikes- it seems to me that other than a driveway tip over, virtually any accident is going to total a bike anyway.
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2016, 06:20:29 PM »

As for Progressive and bikes- it seems to me that other than a driveway tip over, virtually any accident is going to total a bike anyway.
[/quote]

I think that's true for most any MC insurance co.   It doesn't take much to bend a MC frame and 1st they have to find an outfit that can straighten it (if possible) 2nd, then everything on the frame has to be removed to do that, 3rd, then the bike has to be reassembled and tested, so all the labor involved in doing this costs more than the value of the whole bike!   So unlike a car a bike is totaled from the git go.

Now sometimes a bike isn't damaged that much and if you want to & your ins. co. is agreeable, you can pay the ins. co. the $ they will get from the highest bidder for you totaled bike + you get the $ difference the ins. co. was going to pay you in the 1st place as a totaled bike.   I did that on my `80 Convert. when it was totaled but not really damaged that much thanks to it's crash bars.   I then resold that same Convert. w/a salvage title on it.........or I could have parted it out.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 10:27:39 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Kentktk

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 08:24:43 PM »
Hope it`s cheaper than the $6000 a year they quoted me to insure an F4 MV Agusta!

Offline jbell

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Some progress
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2016, 08:25:38 PM »
Been with Progressive for quite a few years.  Early into my association with them I lowsided my bike in a turn.  They came through like champs and didn't raise my rates.  I've found their customer service (phone inquiries) to be first rate. 
'75 Ducati 860 GT  On the road
'76 Guzzi T3   Future project
'78 Guzzi G5  Current project
'81 Guzzi G5  Organ donor
'92 BMW K75RT  On the road
'16 Triumph Thruxton R  "Holy Moly"  Gone but not forgotten, sigh.

"Be yourself, everyone else is taken".......Oscar Wilde

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here