Author Topic: [Monthly Mutton Bump, May] Flash Mob for Moto Guzzi Mutton Gluttons!  (Read 28759 times)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Flash Mob for Moto Guzzi Mutton Gluttons!
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2017, 08:25:32 AM »
Nope. Sign me up!

MMmm, that's what I want!   Meat from the only mammal that can transmit Leprosy to humans .... !    I think I can do without live OR dead leprosy bacteria.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Bill Hagan

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2017, 09:15:55 AM »
MMmm, that's what I want!   Meat from the only mammal that can transmit Leprosy to humans .... !    I think I can do without live OR dead leprosy bacteria.

Lannis

Oh, PUHLEESE, Lannis.  You must be feeling especially curmudgeonly this morning.  I am just getting over a bad cold and getting ready to launch to Atlanta -- assuming it has survived the latest "Storm of the Century" -- yet am in a better mood than that.  OTOH, the grappa in my espresso did improve my mood considerably. :coffee: :boozing:

It is my understanding that the general counsel for St. Mary's of the Woods, Daviess County Chamber of Commerce, and, more worrisomely, the American Sheep Industry Association (http://www.sheepusa.org) will soon send you a letter by certified mail.  A summons will soon follow.   :grin:

Seriously, yours is odd talk from a man who rides motorcycles, as every leg thrown over a saddle and starter thumbed entails real risks ... even more for those who like Brit iron ... well, when those start.   :grin:

On the dubious merits of your comment, see, e.g., https://consumer.healthday.com/diseases-and-conditions-information-37/misc-diseases-and-conditions-news-203/leprosy-still-occurs-in-u-s-cdc-reports-693260.html

That did, however, give me some pause about grilled armadillo (a mammal, btw :wink:).

Anyway, even if not hardy enough of a soul for mutton, consider coming for the pork, beef, or chicken.  You'd have a fine time.

Bill

P.S.  FWIW, 29 January is World Leprosy Day, yet another cause on a planet filled with worthy ones.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 09:16:50 AM by Bill Hagan »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2017, 09:29:34 AM »
The Kid and I are planning a spring trip. Well, what little planning we do starts with a date, anyway. Maybe we can work this one into our trip.. sounds like fun. We flew down to the Owensboro bbq festival many years ago. It was a hoot. Brought back a couple of gallons of burgoo (sp?) and had a burgoo and homebrew party.  :thumb:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Randown

• Long Beach, CA
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2017, 10:09:34 AM »
…the grappa in my espresso…

^^^ Makes for interesting tangents too! v v v

You boys ever had BBQ'ed armadillo ?
 Dusty

Nope. Sign me up!

Lannis

Oh, PUHLEESE, Lannis. ..
..On the dubious merits of your comment, see, e.g., https://consumer.healthday.com/diseases-and-conditions-information-37/misc-diseases-and-conditions-news-203/leprosy-still-occurs-in-u-s-cdc-reports-693260.html
That did, however, give me some pause about grilled armadillo (a mammal, btw :wink:).

:laugh:
Flippity Floppity Floop

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2017, 10:09:34 AM »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2017, 03:18:28 PM »
Oh, PUHLEESE, Lannis.  You must be feeling especially curmudgeonly this morning.  I am just getting over a bad cold and getting ready to launch to Atlanta -- assuming it has survived the latest "Storm of the Century" -- yet am in a better mood than that.  OTOH, the grappa in my espresso did improve my mood considerably. :coffee: :boozing:

It is my understanding that the general counsel for St. Mary's of the Woods, Daviess County Chamber of Commerce, and, more worrisomely, the American Sheep Industry Association (http://www.sheepusa.org) will soon send you a letter by certified mail.  A summons will soon follow.   :grin:

Seriously, yours is odd talk from a man who rides motorcycles, as every leg thrown over a saddle and starter thumbed entails real risks ... even more for those who like Brit iron ... well, when those start.   :grin:

On the dubious merits of your comment, see, e.g., https://consumer.healthday.com/diseases-and-conditions-information-37/misc-diseases-and-conditions-news-203/leprosy-still-occurs-in-u-s-cdc-reports-693260.html

Anyway, even if not hardy enough of a soul for mutton, consider coming for the pork, beef, or chicken.  You'd have a fine time.

Bill

P.S.  FWIW, 29 January is World Leprosy Day, yet another cause on a planet filled with worthy ones.

Bill -

I apologize for my posting laziness and the unfortunate juxtaposition of my post.

I meant ONLY to impugn the human consumption of armadillo, NOT of mutton, beef, pork, and other toothsome barbequed delicacies.   However, forgetting that half-a-dozen posts had been made since the last mention of armadillo, I posted WITHOUT quoting "armadillo" in my post, and so my post showed up in context of the overall thread and NOT in that of armored leprosy carriers.

So, to make it clear:

1) I fully support and appreciate your invitation to the barbeque in May, and am trying to adjust my calendar so I can make it.

2) I believe your intimation that this may well be the finest barbeque in America, and that only a personal sampling, on the spot and at the time, could determine otherwise.

3) I would never eat an armadillo, a rat, a possum, or a balut, I don't care who's fixing it.   But maybe I shouldn't be so public and positive about it, to avoid hurt feelings.   (Although I suspect that there are not many special snowflakes, sensitive to wrong-minded people, cooking armadillos.)

Yours snowily,

Lannis

Bill Hagan

« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2017, 06:00:28 PM »
So you are taking your golf clubs too?

Dean

THAT is really funny, Dean!    :bow:

Mebbe could put clubs on the tee (shirt).   :laugh:

Bill -

I apologize for my posting laziness and the unfortunate juxtaposition of my post.

I meant ONLY to impugn the human consumption of armadillo, NOT of mutton, beef, pork, and other toothsome barbequed delicacies.   However, forgetting that half-a-dozen posts had been made since the last mention of armadillo, I posted WITHOUT quoting "armadillo" in my post, and so my post showed up in context of the overall thread and NOT in that of armored leprosy carriers.

So, to make it clear:

1) I fully support and appreciate your invitation to the barbeque in May, and am trying to adjust my calendar so I can make it.

2) I believe your intimation that this may well be the finest barbeque in America, and that only a personal sampling, on the spot and at the time, could determine otherwise.

3) I would never eat an armadillo, a rat, a possum, or a balut, I don't care who's fixing it.   But maybe I shouldn't be so public and positive about it, to avoid hurt feelings.   (Although I suspect that there are not many special snowflakes, sensitive to wrong-minded people, cooking armadillos.)

Yours snowily,

Lannis

Ditto, Lannis.  :grin:

Would be great if you can make it. 

Kathi is considering riding pillion or being a chase car in the Mini, so Fay might be able to escape "the boys" if she wanted.   :wink:

Launching to Atlanta tomorrow in the Oh-Dark.  Hope it survived the latest "Storm of the Century."  They should be used to it by now.  Aside from the weather hype, the place is full of those other "snowflakes" you mention.   :blank:

Bill
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 06:01:51 PM by Bill Hagan »

Offline Bob Wegman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2017, 08:01:39 PM »
I hope that Yankees from NY can also be considered as participants in this adventure.  I have never eaten mutton or spent any time visiting Kentucky except when I got lost in Cincinnati (after too much entertaining) and ended up in Covington.
02 EV1100, 2010 V7 Classic, 80 Yamaha 650, 80 Yamaha SR500, 77 Yamaha XS650, 67 Honda 305 Superhawk, 66 Ducati 250 Monza(apart)
MGNOC # 20848
AMA# 548668

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2017, 08:05:44 PM »
  Why is there so much bad feeling about eating dead sheep.  10 million coyotes can't all be wrong.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2017, 08:45:41 PM »
  Why is there so much bad feeling about eating dead sheep.  10 million coyotes can't all be wrong.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Bob Wegman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2017, 08:52:08 PM »
Oh wait.  Is mutton the same thing as lamb?  If so, then I have eaten it and like it.  Still haven't had much of a Kentucky experience yet though.  Unless watching Davy Crockett on TV as a kid counts.
02 EV1100, 2010 V7 Classic, 80 Yamaha 650, 80 Yamaha SR500, 77 Yamaha XS650, 67 Honda 305 Superhawk, 66 Ducati 250 Monza(apart)
MGNOC # 20848
AMA# 548668

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2017, 08:56:09 PM »
Oh wait.  Is mutton the same thing as lamb?  If so, then I have eaten it and like it.  Still haven't had much of a Kentucky experience yet though.  Unless watching Davy Crockett on TV as a kid counts.

Mutton is to lamb as Beef is to veal.   Mutton is definitely an "acquired taste".   Perhaps expert barbeque-ers know what to do with it; if I were depending on my culinary talents to make it enjoyable, I haven't acquired it up to now!!   

Kentucky is a beautiful state for riding.  Fay and I spent a week and 1800 miles just riding around Kentucky this summer, and enjoyed every mile ...

Lannis

Joe A.

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2017, 11:48:48 AM »
I believe Mr. Wegman and I will be making every effort to attend!

Bill Hagan

« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2017, 08:37:08 AM »

Howdy from Atlanta ... which seems to have survived yet another "Storm of the Century."  Still a bit crisp, but temps will be in 70's in a few days. 

I brought my gear to return brother Michael's Norge from dealer after service and warranty work, so I'll get a ride in.   :bike-037:

Anyway, to return to mutton a moment, unless someone revives it for whatever reason, I'll let this thread lie dormant for awhile, with an occasional bump.

In the meantime, though, if you are inclined to be on my mutton-run mail-outs, send me your email addy by PM or directly to wrhagan<AT>earthlink.net.

Bill

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2017, 02:52:22 PM »
Mutton is to lamb as Beef is to veal.   Mutton is definitely an "acquired taste".   Perhaps expert barbeque-ers know what to do with it; if I were depending on my culinary talents to make it enjoyable, I haven't acquired it up to now!!   

Can't say I agree with you there  -  mutton definitely has a lot of taste and especially when compared to lamb.
But acquired taste? When cooked right mutton is fat and succulent and a feast to eat. Who wouldn't like it?
Haven't tried BBQ'd mutton, but it sounds interesting!

Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2017, 03:26:22 PM »
Can't say I agree with you there  -  mutton definitely has a lot of taste and especially when compared to lamb.
But acquired taste? When cooked right mutton is fat and succulent and a feast to eat. Who wouldn't like it?

I must never have had it cooked right then, which is possible since after the first time I ate it, it was dry as a bone and like chewing on a slightly rank piece of old inner tube.   Just never been in a part of the country where mutton is popular.   

I do a lot of shopping in our local markets and butcher shops, and I've never seen anything but lamb for sale, never mutton.   So maybe I have a new and unexpected taste sensation awaiting me!

Lannis
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 03:27:01 PM by Lannis »

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2017, 03:38:25 PM »
I must never have had it cooked right then, which is possible since after the first time I ate it, it was dry as a bone and like chewing on a slightly rank piece of old inner tube.   Just never been in a part of the country where mutton is popular.   

I do a lot of shopping in our local markets and butcher shops, and I've never seen anything but lamb for sale, never mutton.   So maybe I have a new and unexpected taste sensation awaiting me!

Lannis

Try cooking mutton in stock in a pot with vegetables  -  e.g. carrot, leek -  until tender. Could take hours. Mutton and cabbage stew is a traditional favourite here. 
We seem to have the same problem with finding mutton in the shops here, only "boring" lamb is offered   :embarassed:
I'll try harder, maybe the shop where I buy horsebeef will get it for me.
Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2017, 09:01:47 PM »

This

Lamb = < 1 year old. 1 to 2 years old = hogget. > 2 years old = mutton.

Sheep meat in general and mutton in particular, especially roasted, is my absolute favourite meat. 

Sheep meats must be cooked long, slow and thoroughly.  Unlike beef it should never be rare, not even slightly pink inside.  Roasting it should be basted and kept moist.

Serve with mint sauce or jelly, and/or gravy.

Where to get it,  um...ok.
New Zealand
2002 Ev tourer (Stalled again...)

Offline Cam Lay

• Gosling
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2017, 06:22:45 PM »
Mutton there on the left, stealing Cathy's beer. Lamb to either side, not big enough to eat yet at the time of this picture...

Now, where was this barbecue thing again, Bill?

Biology is destiny.  Culture is ecology.  Most things are beetles.

Offline Nick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2017, 05:57:38 PM »
I hope that Yankees from NY can also be considered as participants in this adventure. 

There goes my "long distance" award..... :wink:
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 05:58:15 PM by Nick »

Bill Hagan

« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2017, 07:50:46 PM »
For those who have an interest, I was going to wait a bit for sending along anything more on the Rutt'n for Mutt'n  or Mutton Runners, or whatever -- yes, I am constantly casting about for a label for this outing -- but after I looked at lodging for Kathi and me, thought I'd better pass along some information I got in that process.

First, there is not, of course, an "official" hotel for this.  Stay wherever pleases you.  That said, because of its proximity to the iconic Moonlite BBQ -- https://www.moonlite.com -- several of us have found it convenient to stay before at the Country Inn & Suites.  Kathi and I also stayed there for my 50th H.S. reunion, but I remember nothing much of high school or the reunion.   :boozing:

Anyway, when I tried booking there today, I found it was gone, replaced by, poof, the Wingfield Inn and Suites,  http://www.wingfieldinnandsuitesowensboroky.com.  Same location, and, allegedly, up-gunned a bit from our stay there last year in May.

If, after reading all of this, you wish to join us at the Wingfield, call the motel and ask for "Lilly" [with whom I spoke; a VERY nice lady from nearby Muhlenburg County; we'd have been showing each grandbaby pix if we'd talked much longer!] or "Chris," and mention you are part of "the Hagan group" in order to get the reduced-rate of $95 (from $100).  If you prefer, use email: frontdesk@wiasowensboroky.com.

Do NOT use the website for making a reservation or you'll pay more.  If you end up paying less than $95, call me so I can yell at Lilly.  :grin:

If you want to share a room, let me know and I'll connect you with others who want to do the same.

If you want to see what else is available, here's a map of Owensboro lodging:

Link here: http://tinyurl.com/OboroKyLodging

Do NOT believe the google map prices shown for today.  May is high season for sports teams, and Lilly was not trying to sell me a bridge when she said walk-ins at that time of year might find what Mary and Joseph did in Bethlehem.  :shocked:

Plus, this is Memorial Day weekend, so I am concerned about lodging en route, but especially worried that we can have rooms in Daviess County on arrival.  Our (as in Bill & Kathi's) present plan, btw, is to depart from home, not Atlanta, taking two days. 

I will send more coordination info about routes, etc., in due course, but suggest that if you are seriously thinking about this trip, you make reservations somewhere sooner than later.  Let me know sometime where you decided to stay.

Bill

P.S.  I am still exploring camping options in Owensboro & Whitesville, and will let those who have asked me about that know here or by email what I find.

[Edited to remove all those [expletives deleted] �!  :sad:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 08:11:16 PM by Bill Hagan »

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
Re: [Lodging Update 18 Jan 17] Flash Mob for Moto Guzzi Mutton Gluttons!
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2017, 08:01:34 PM »
Bill, having gone through your last years epistle, I would love to join you if I could. It looked and sounded right up my ally. It is actually some time since I had mutton, but it has that flavour that lamb or even hogget does not have.

I look forward to reading (with  :gotpics: of course, tales tall and true of the upcoming event.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Bill Hagan

« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2017, 11:55:24 AM »

Just my threatened monthly bump.  :grin:

Already have more than I expected on the rolls for this.

At least three of us will leave from the top of Virginia on Friday morning, 26 May.

Others from Pa., W.V., Md., Ga., Minn., N.Y. Ind., and more, with all (less one Thursday early bird!) converging from those places by different routes and landing at Owensboro on Saturday afternoon.

Kathi will be driving a "support van" ... tho as it's our Mini, unlikely much room for an extra engine to swap out on the road!  :rolleyes:

Should be fun.

See lodging info buried in this thread somewhere for where to stay in Owensboro.

Post or PM me with any questions or to be added to the mailing list.

Bill

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2017, 12:34:52 PM »
Lannis

It has to be cooked right Lannis. I tend to at least start the process at a low heat in a sealed roasting dish before cranking it up a bit.

Must admit, even living in a country where we have something like 30,000,000 woolly muttons :wink: running around, most consumption tends to be centred around lamb. The supermarket chains from what I can tell only sell lamb. My favourite would actually be hogget (one year older than lamb) but to even get that a trip to a bonafide butcher would be required.

The St Marys BBQ sounds like my kind of hangout but sadly it wont even make it to my bucket list. :cry:
03 Breva

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2017, 05:11:09 PM »
It has to be cooked right Lannis. I tend to at least start the process at a low heat in a sealed roasting dish before cranking it up a bit.

Must admit, even living in a country where we have something like 30,000,000 woolly muttons :wink: running around, most consumption tends to be centred around lamb. The supermarket chains from what I can tell only sell lamb. My favourite would actually be hogget (one year older than lamb) but to even get that a trip to a bonafide butcher would be required.

The St Marys BBQ sounds like my kind of hangout but sadly it wont even make it to my bucket list. :cry:

I've noticed and wondered about that. They charge like a wounded bull for it too.
New Zealand

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2017, 05:48:50 PM »
So where does all the hogget and mutton go John, sausages?

I guess most lambs don't make it to the hogget stage. :undecided:
03 Breva

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2017, 05:57:58 PM »
Such is life for a lamb. <shrug>
The Kid and I will make it or not.. depending on my back surgery  :rolleyes: and recovery. Planning on it, though.. I'm a fast healer.
Edit:
Ruttin for Muttin gets my vote. :)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 05:59:14 PM by Chuck in Indiana »

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Bill Hagan

« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2017, 06:24:52 AM »

30 MILLION sheep?!  I have occasionally thought that mutton -- at least in my Kentucky ancestors' case -- was the result of poverty. 

Poor Kentucky dirt farmers, at least, didn't eat lamb that would soon produce wool and, eventually, mutton.  At the end of that cycle, and not until, it was mutton time.   :food:

That may also explain johnrs' "charge like a wounded bull" pricing for lamb, which is true here, too. Ditto veal.

"Hogget?"  Learned a new word.

Such is life for a lamb. <shrug>
The Kid and I will make it or not.. depending on my back surgery  :rolleyes: and recovery. Planning on it, though.. I'm a fast healer.
Edit:

Back surgery? 

Hope minor, though none really is for those of us "out of warranty."  Yesterday, I had a cataract removed and am still feeling sorry for myself.

Anyway, sure hope Ruttin' for Mutton includes you and the lamb ... I mean The Kid.  His label come from you being the Old Goat?  :laugh:

Bill

[Edited to remove those worthless � marks.]
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 06:27:57 AM by Bill Hagan »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2017, 09:12:00 AM »

Are there some "activities" associated with this event that just aren't talked about here?   :embarrassed:   :embarassed:    I don't want to find out that there's an "initiation" rite after I get there ....

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2017, 09:59:24 AM »
Back surgery?

Hope minor, though none really is for those of us "out of warranty."  Yesterday, I had a cataract removed and am still feeling sorry for myself.

Anyway, sure hope Ruttin' for Mutton includes you and the lamb ... I mean The Kid.  His label come from you being the Old Goat?  :laugh:

Bill
The Kid maintains a neurosurgeons airplanes, and had him call me. Talked to him a while last night, and he said if I could tolerate what I'm going through with a ruptured disc, just do that and give it some time. "If you go to a cutter, what they'll want to do is cut, and 9 out of 10 of em should be avoided. (!!) You might just get over it on your own. Send me the MRIs."
Up until last night, I was planning on seeing a cutter on the 13th. I'll still go, depending on what my new friend says. (airplane guys are a closely knit bunch, much like Guzzi guys.)  :smiley:
Actually, I've heard the Kid say, Hi, I'm Brad.. spawn of Chuck. Maybe I'm related to a fish?  :grin: He's a good boy..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2017, 04:51:24 PM »
30 MILLION sheep?!  I have occasionally thought that mutton -- at least in my Kentucky ancestors' case -- was the result of poverty. 

Poor Kentucky dirt farmers, at least, didn't eat lamb that would soon produce wool and, eventually, mutton.  At the end of that cycle, and not until, it was mutton time.   :food:

That may also explain johnrs' "charge like a wounded bull" pricing for lamb, which is true here, too. Ditto veal.

Bill

Poverty had nothing to do with it here. The number used to be well in excess of 60 million until the relatively recent rise in popularity of intensive dairy farming. A dirty polluting business that I would personally like to see a lot less of, or at least regulate out the pollutants that allow the current intensity of it.

The price of sheep meats here has shot up with the demise of city abattoirs. These would take the animals that were less than export standard  (too fat, too lean etc.) and kept the prices down. These days we must pay export prices.
New Zealand

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here