Author Topic: [Monthly Mutton Bump, May] Flash Mob for Moto Guzzi Mutton Gluttons!  (Read 28608 times)

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Flash Mob for Moto Guzzi Mutton Gluttons!
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2017, 05:19:18 PM »
the relatively recent rise in popularity of intensive dairy farming. A dirty polluting business that I would personally like to see a lot less of, or at least regulate out the pollutants that allow the current intensity of it.

Me, too. There is a 24/7 milking operation by a Dutch company that moved in about 5 miles (as the crow or airplane flies) from us. Manure everywhere, not to mention what it's doing to the aquifer. When the wind is right, there is a pungent odor, too. My old man used to say, "Smells like money, boy.."
True, when you are talking about a family farm. Not so true when you are talking about hundreds of cows.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2017, 05:32:26 PM »
Me, too. There is a 24/7 milking operation by a Dutch company that moved in about 5 miles (as the crow or airplane flies) from us. Manure everywhere, not to mention what it's doing to the aquifer. When the wind is right, there is a pungent odor, too. My old man used to say, "Smells like money, boy.."
True, when you are talking about a family farm. Not so true when you are talking about hundreds of cows.

They're violating the law, I'll bet anything.   If they are managing their waste treatment and their lagoons properly, you won't be able to smell anything.

We have a 6,000 hog hog-raising operation run by a guy I know up the road.   He's taken me around the place a few times.   (You can't go inside because the hogs are cleaner than you are).    The waste is managed properly and you can't smell anything even standing right outside one of the hog houses with 2000 hogs in it.

What's most amazing is how they handle dead pigs.   They have about a 2% mortality rate, which means 120 dead hogs to be disposed of every 5 months.    They put each body in a plastic "mulching" bag, and pile them in a big 3-bay area with open-sided concrete boxes.   After a month, they move the remains (with a front-end loader) into the next bay.   After another month or two, they move them into the next bay.   And after 5 months total, there's nothing left but almost odorless black compost, suitable for fertilizer.

At any rate, if it's properly managed, they don't stink, annoy the neighbors or pollute the groundwater or runoff.   If it's NOT properly managed, get it sorted ... there's no excuse for it.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2017, 06:15:03 PM »
They're violating the law, I'll bet anything.   If they are managing their waste treatment and their lagoons properly, you won't be able to smell anything.

We have a 6,000 hog hog-raising operation run by a guy I know up the road.   He's taken me around the place a few times.   (You can't go inside because the hogs are cleaner than you are).    The waste is managed properly and you can't smell anything even standing right outside one of the hog houses with 2000 hogs in it.

What's most amazing is how they handle dead pigs.   They have about a 2% mortality rate, which means 120 dead hogs to be disposed of every 5 months.    They put each body in a plastic "mulching" bag, and pile them in a big 3-bay area with open-sided concrete boxes.   After a month, they move the remains (with a front-end loader) into the next bay.   After another month or two, they move them into the next bay.   And after 5 months total, there's nothing left but almost odorless black compost, suitable for fertilizer.

At any rate, if it's properly managed, they don't stink, annoy the neighbors or pollute the groundwater or runoff.   If it's NOT properly managed, get it sorted ... there's no excuse for it.

Lannis
Good luck with that in Indiana. Big business wins *every* time. Uh oh. This just got political..don't hit me, Dusty.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

twowings

« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2017, 06:32:16 PM »
I don't care how 'clean' it is...putting that many animals that close together lowers disease resistance, increases stress, and is contrary to natural selection...all for nothing but profits...

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2017, 06:32:16 PM »

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2017, 08:45:14 PM »
I don't care how 'clean' it is...putting that many animals that close together lowers disease resistance, increases stress, and is contrary to natural selection...all for nothing but profits...

No bar b que for you.

Bill Hagan

« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2017, 06:03:19 AM »

No bar b que for you.

Thank you, OG.

May I ask that no matter how strongly one feels about such things or anything -- except riding Guzzis to Kentucky in May :bike-037: -- that we leave this thread to its core subject without heading into the reefs and shoals of other issues?  :violent1:

Grazie mille.

Bill

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2017, 03:55:43 PM »
Thank you, OG.

May I ask that no matter how strongly one feels about such things or anything -- except riding Guzzis to Kentucky in May :bike-037: -- that we leave this thread to its core subject without heading into the reefs and shoals of other issues?  :violent1:

Grazie mille.

Bill

But I LIKE having pigs you can cook for barbeque.   What I WANT to know is whether I'm going to like barbequed sheep ... ?

Lannis

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2017, 04:05:46 PM »
There's only one way to find out, Lannis.. saddle up. If you find you don't like mutton for nuttin.. they'll Shirley have chickens and pigs, too.  :smiley:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2017, 04:11:26 PM »
But I LIKE having pigs you can cook for barbeque.   What I WANT to know is whether I'm going to like barbequed sheep ... ?

Lannis

Ya won't know until ya try Lannis. :grin:

Personally, I think you will. Every time I look at this thread I start salivating! :food: :drool: :drool: :drool:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Bill Hagan

« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2017, 04:16:47 PM »
Are there some "activities" associated with this event that just aren't talked about here?   :embarrassed:   :embarassed:    I don't want to find out that there's an "initiation" rite after I get there ....

From my observation, such "activities" are usually self-inflicted following too much of something other than mutton.  :boozing: :wink:

Lannis

There's only one way to find out, Lannis.. saddle up. If you find you don't like mutton for nuttin.. they'll Shirley have chickens and pigs, too.  :smiley:

Ya won't know until ya try Lannis. :grin:

Personally, I think you will. Every time I look at this thread I start salivating! :food: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Yup, Chuck and Muzz.  And all sorts of fix'ns, too.  And, if Lannis can't stomach any of that, frog legs from fresh-gigged not frozen ones are available up the street at a local cafe.

But, time will tell, but I'm betting that anyone who has a taste for British iron will like Kentucky mutton.  Both are acquired tastes, and once acquired, near unshakable.   :food:

Bill

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: February 04, 2017, 04:23:41 PM »
Bill, if I ever win the Big Lotto Draw (I suppose I have to actually buy a ticket  :rolleyes:) that St Marys run is something I will have to join up with. :food: :thumb:. just sounds brilliant. What's not to like.
03 Breva

Offline Bob Wegman

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2017, 08:20:58 PM »
Bill, If this is a two day ride one way, where abouts would you anticipate stopping after the first day?
02 EV1100, 2010 V7 Classic, 80 Yamaha 650, 80 Yamaha SR500, 77 Yamaha XS650, 67 Honda 305 Superhawk, 66 Ducati 250 Monza(apart)
MGNOC # 20848
AMA# 548668

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2017, 02:01:28 PM »
When Bob was talking about where to stop the first night, I started looking at maps and then looking at a calendar and then said "What am I thinking?".   

I have to be in Bealeton, VA on Monday morning for the annual family grave decoration for Memorial Day and then at Capon Springs that afternoon ...

So another time then!

Lannis

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2017, 07:22:45 PM »
No soup for you.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2017, 12:44:48 AM »
03 Breva

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2017, 06:32:16 AM »
Or mutton! :grin:

My fault.   The Mutton Nazi was probably willing enough .... !   :grin:

Bill Hagan

« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2017, 07:09:18 AM »
My fault.   The Mutton Nazi was probably willing enough .... !   :grin:

That's Mutton Fascist to you.  After all, we ride Eyetie, not Bayerische, beasts.   :laugh:

Bill, If this is a two day ride one way, where abouts would you anticipate stopping after the first day?

Working on that, Bob.  Will post here and send emails to those on the list.  I am keeping Lannis on that email-out just to make salivate for mutton.   :food: :grin:

Bill

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2017, 11:11:31 AM »
That's Mutton Fascist to you.  After all, we ride Eyetie, not Bayerische, beasts.   :laugh:

Working on that, Bob.  Will post here and send emails to those on the list.  I am keeping Lannis on that email-out just to make salivate for mutton.   :food: :grin:

Bill

I was just playing Chuck's lob of the "Soup Nazi" sketch from somewhere, certainly not referring to anyone here, past present or future.   If there IS a "Mutton Nazi", he'd be serving Mutton at the church and keeping an eye on me to make sure I didn't say "What IS this stuff?" or something ..... :laugh:

Lannis

Bill Hagan

This is an update with Day 1's lodging and routing information.

Will send this to the email list, but for those still considering this event, here's some information for your consideration.

And, lest the most important point be lost in my usual torrent of words, I need to say that whatever route you take, you may want to make reservations now.  This trip is over the Memorial Day weekend, and into "wedding season," so I have found that many hotels are already full for our dates of travel.

I sure prefer not having fixed interim destinations on motorcycIe trips, but sometimes, well, sometimes ...

Anyway, if you are coming along with us or intend to meet us at end of first day, here's where we are staying:

http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/kentucky/hampton-inn-ashland-HTSKYHX/index.html

And here are our proposed routes for Days 1 & 2.

Our return will be 2.5 days and go through bourbon country on a more southerly route.  Will post more on that soon.

Day 1 - From Cross Junction to Ashland, Ky.

Details here: https://goo.gl/maps/otLugdF2f7x

Day 2 - From Ashland, Ky., to Owensboro, Ky.

Details here: https://goo.gl/maps/cy4v5nMP6js

We all know that the reality of riding means that the routes won't be exactly those, but they should be close.

Looking forward to seeing others here munching mutton in Daviess County ... and some Mex food en route.   :grin:

Bill
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 08:08:10 AM by Bill Hagan »

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Just talked to Chris and reserved our room. The game is afoot..  :smiley: :food:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
I can't really make any definite plans that far ahead at this point, but the tentative plan so far is to leave here on Friday the 26th and stay in Princeton, WV that night. Continue on to my sister's house in Liberty, KY Saturday, meet up and hang out with y'all on Sunday in Whitesville. Then back to Liberty for the night and head home on Monday and Tuesday.

If anyone would like to ride down or back with me, you're most welcome to.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 11:08:57 AM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

Bill Hagan

I can't really make any definite plans that far ahead at this point, but the tentative plan so far is to leave here on Thursday the 25th and stay in Princeton, WV that night. Continue on to my sister's house in Liberty, KY Friday, meet up and hang out with y'all on Saturday in Whitesville. Then back to Liberty for the night and head home on Sunday and Monday.

If anyone would like to ride down or back with me, you're most welcome to.

Great, Charlie.  See you there.

BTW, "there" for hanging around on Saturday for us, anyway, isn't Whitesville, it's Owensboro, tho we will stop at the former late in day on Saturday to see how prep is going.  Think some folks -- you might browse earlier posts -- will be there (Owensboro) as early as Friday. 

Just talked to Chris and reserved our room. The game is afoot..  :smiley: :food:

Super, Chuck; simply super.   :grin: :boozing: :food:

Now, FWIW, here is info about the proposed return route we intend take after muttoning.

Kathi has exhibited unusual confidence in the Norge by agreeing to ride it for this trip rather than driving the Mini as a sagwagon. 

OTOH, I now have to convince her that she only needs two hair dryers, not three.   :thewife: N.J. Nick is coming along, too, on both legs of this ride, so I'll see if he has extra room in his sidebags.  :rolleyes:

As the terrain-mode pix, below, show, these are great riding roads.  We plan to stop for a look, but no sips at Makers Mark distillery in Loretto, https://www.makersmark.com.

So, if this routing and lodging plan has any interest among those heading home to points east from Whitesville, here's our thinking.

======

Sunday, 28 May -

Whitesville, Ky., to Lebanon, Ky. (Hampton Inn)

https://goo.gl/maps/SpMH2q8vMx62

Monday, 29 May -

Lebanon, Ky., to South Charleston, W.V. (Hampton Inn)

[275 miles; 6 hrs, 30 mins.]

https://goo.gl/maps/tjhrQjFHiwN2

Tuesday, 30 May -

South Charleston, W.V. to the Moto Grappa

https://goo.gl/maps/qfNsoxnUMa32

As noted, above, we have reservations at Hampton Inns in Lebanon, Ky., and South Charleston, W.V.

http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/kentucky/hampton-inn-lebanon-LBNKYHX/index.html

http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/west-virginia/hampton-inn-charleston-southridge-CRWSOHX/index.html

Should be fun.

Bill
404.eightzeroeight. 8486
wrhaganATearthlinkd otcom

[Edited cuz of cursed �'s.  :violent1: :boxing:]
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 09:55:37 AM by Bill Hagan »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
That's really going to be a great ride ... enough stops to enjoy life and the countryside as you ride through, but far enough each day to make some time towards the destination ....

... If the whole thing were offset by just a day or two, I'd be in like Flynn on the home route, probably peel off at Elkins WV to head home, but Family is important, and fun, too ....

Lannis

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Great, Charlie.  See you there.

BTW, "there" for hanging around on Saturday for us, anyway, isn't Whitesville, it's Owensboro, tho we will stop at the former late in day on Saturday to see how prep is going.  Think some folks -- you might browse earlier posts -- will be there (Owensboro) as early as Friday. 

Guess I need to revise my tentative schedule - I thought the bbq was on Saturday not Sunday (note to self - read Bill's posts a bit more carefully). Figured they'd be in church all day, not doing a picnic.  :wink: So, I guess it'll be here to Princeton on Friday, sister's on Sat., picnic on Sun., back to sister's, departing there for home early Monday and arriving home on Tuesday. Works either way.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 11:07:06 AM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
Travel safe you guys.

There will of course, be lots of  :gotpics: to go with the inimitable Hagan write-up. :thumb:
03 Breva

Bill Hagan

[Monthly Mutton Bump, March] Flash Mob for Moto Guzzi Mutton Gluttons!
« Reply #85 on: March 02, 2017, 06:38:00 AM »

Just the monthly bump.

Mmmmmmmutton.  :food:  :bike-037:

Bill

Bill Hagan

Re: [Monthly Mutton Bump, April] Flash Mob for Moto Guzzi Mutton Gluttons!
« Reply #86 on: April 04, 2017, 09:00:46 PM »

The monthly mutton bump. 

:grin: :food: :drool: :clock: :bike-037:

Bill

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #87 on: April 05, 2017, 04:03:08 AM »
What is it Bill, about 6 weeks to go? :drool:
03 Breva

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2017, 07:17:12 AM »
Took my Butler map up to the Kid's place in Wisconsin to look at places to go, but his dawg ate it.  :rolleyes: :grin:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Bill Hagan

« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2017, 07:54:18 AM »

Took my Butler map up to the Kid's place in Wisconsin to look at places to go, but his dawg ate it.  :rolleyes: :grin:

I've eaten dog.   :shocked:

Not bad, actually.   :wink:

If you haven't, might be the right time.   :grin:

What is it Bill, about 6 weeks to go? :drool:

Yup.

Nick arrives to spend night six weeks from tomorrow.  Then the games begin.   :bike-037:

Bill

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here