Author Topic: [Monthly Mutton Bump, May] Flash Mob for Moto Guzzi Mutton Gluttons!  (Read 28603 times)

Online tazio

• Gaggle Hero
Re: [Monthly Mutton Bump, May] Flash Mob for Moto Guzzi Mutton Gluttons!
« Reply #120 on: May 25, 2017, 10:55:59 AM »
Mr.Bill, get well soon! Take care of number 1. (Ms.Kathi)
And let her take care of her number 1, (you)
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Moto

« Reply #121 on: May 25, 2017, 11:10:28 AM »
Yikes! Sorry about that, Bill.
Are the east coasters still coming? Nick?
Moto, you still coming from Wisconsin?
If nobody is coming, the Kid and I will head direct to Wheels through time. and I'll need to cancel a couple of hotels.

I've been on the fence the whole time. Love mutton BBQ and would like to meet a bunch of you all.

But I'm limited in the time I can be away from home. My wife is leaving on a business trip Tuesday morning and my son still needs to be fed and watered when she's away.

So it would be a 500-mile wet trip down the Interstates of Illinois, dinner, and then 500 miles back up (admittedly in better weather) to get home before she leaves. My most recent trip down South -- my Derecho Days of Thunder tour to Arkansas and the Natchez Trace -- taught me that things can "go south" in another way quickly, and that I should pay more attention to weather forecasts.

If I were headed out for a longer trip in that direction, I'd be there for sure. But unless there are more coming than it sounds like, I think I'd be better off passing.

Bill, Charlie -- sorry not to have the chance to meet you. Bill, get well! Chuck, we did meet briefly a while back, and I was looking forward to seeing you too.

Dang.

Moto

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #122 on: May 25, 2017, 03:26:07 PM »
Oh No! Gutted!

Bill, I hope you recover soon. Sounds nasty.

To those still going, enjoy the  :food: and I still hope to see a report back on the proceedings
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #123 on: May 25, 2017, 04:01:39 PM »
That does it. I just cancelled my reservations for Saturday and Sunday night. We have friends in Mooresville, N.C., so we'll visit them first, then go south.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #123 on: May 25, 2017, 04:01:39 PM »

Offline Nick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #124 on: May 25, 2017, 08:55:55 PM »
I'll be at Willville Fri-Sat-Sun-Mon. Just need to find a restaurant that serves lamb chops. 👍

Moto

« Reply #125 on: May 26, 2017, 07:27:50 AM »
Mutton Glutton rain date, anyone?  :food: See below.

Moto

Owensboro Ushers in Summer Series of Parish Barbecue Picnics

Owensboro, KY,  May 2015 / Newsmaker Alert / Owensboro's International Bar-B-Q Festival early each May is only the start of a summer of hickory-flavored festivities.
From May through the end of September, the area's Catholic churches celebrate tradition and raise a bit of money, too, at 22 parish barbecue picnics that serve tasty chicken, pork, mutton and burgoo to all comers. All are within a 45-minute radius of downtown Owensboro.

"Travelers crave authentic food experiences, and there's nothing more authentic than western Kentucky barbecue and burgoo prepared by an experienced church cooking team. They're serious about their barbecue and burgoo," said Shannon Wetzel, executive director of Visit Owensboro.

Burgoo, for the uninitiated, is a meaty stew that originated in pioneer days. Along with barbecue mutton, it is one of the region's traditional foods.

You'll see burgoo bubbling in 60-gallon cauldrons at parish picnics. Sometimes, there are a half-dozen cauldrons in a row, each tended by stirrers who use long wooden paddles to keep the burgoo in motion.

"Some parish picnics are more elaborate than others, but you'll often find cakewalks, kiddie rides, quilt raffles and other diversions to go along with all of that wonderful barbecue," Wetzel said.

One is quite special -- the June 27 picnic at St. Mary Magdalene Parish. It will be the parish's 100th summer picnic. The St. Mary Magdelene cooking team has special bragging rights this year as winner of the Governor's Cup at Owensboro's International Bar-B-Q Festival.

Just seeing the meat on the fire is a spectacle. The cooking teams erect pits that can be 50 feet or more long and hold hundreds of chickens, along with dozens of pork butts and mutton quarters.

It's easy to make a full weekend out of a parish picnic by combining it with Owensboro's "Friday After 5," a summer-long concert and family entertainment series. "Friday After 5" features many styles of music on five stages at RiverPark Center and in Smothers Park along the Ohio River.

Parish Picnic Schedule

May 24 -- 11 a.m. St. Mary of the Woods, Whitesville
June 6 -- 4 p.m. Precious Blood, Owensboro
June 13 -- 4 p.m. St. Pius Tenth, Owensboro
June 20 -- 3 p.m. Our Lady of Lourdes, Owensboro
June 27 -- 4 p.m. St. Mary Magdalene, Sorgho (100th picnic)
July 4 -- 11 a.m.-5 p.m. St. Denis, Fancy Farm
July 11 -- 12:30-7:30 p.m. Immaculate Conception, Hawesville
July 11 -- 4 p.m. St. Alphonsus, St. Joseph
July 18 -- 4 p.m. St. Peter of Alcantara, Stanley
July 25 -- 4 p.m. Blessed Mother, Owensboro
Aug. 1 -- 11 a.m. St. Jerome, Fancy Farm
Aug. 1 -- 12 Noon Blessed Sacrament, Owensboro
Aug. 4 -- 5 p.m. St. Martin, Rome
Sept. 11-12 Holy Name Fall Festival, Henderson
Sept. 13 -- 10:30 a.m. Mount St. Joseph, Maple Mount
Sept. 19 -- 2-6 p.m. St. Stephen Cathedral, Owensboro
Sept. 19 -- 4 p.m. Christ the King, Madisonville
Sept. 19 -- 4 p.m. St. Columba, Lewisport
Sept. 20 -- 11 a.m. St. Lawrence/St. William Parishes
Sept 26 -- 3 p.m. Immaculate, Owensboro
Sept. 27 -- 11 a.m. St. Mary of the Woods, Whitesville

Visitor information about Owensboro and Daviess County is available at VisitOwensboro.com and 800-489-1131. Owensboro event updates are at www.Facebook.com/VisitOwensboro.
Beck Glenn
Communications Manager
Visit Owensboro
800-489-1131
270-929-9995 (cell)

Connect with Visit Owensboro via Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 07:44:47 AM by Moto »

Bill Hagan

« Reply #126 on: May 26, 2017, 11:09:35 AM »

Well said, Moto; I should have included something like that along the way.

BUT BEWARE!

Not all of those events prepare their mutton (and etc.'s) the way St. Mary's does.

In other words, many (indeed, most) "cheat" as do so many retail establishments around this country that parboil the meat before putting on the grill for finishing. 

IMO, only S L O W and L O W fires give it the flavor.  All the sauces in the world are nothing more than cheap perfume on a brothel's employee.   :wink:

Regrettably -- well, actually not, though I wish I'd planned ahead a bit more; never my strength  :rolleyes: -- Kathi and I will be Italy when St. Mary's has its fall picnic.  Sure hope some here get there.

Grazie again.

Bill

Moto

« Reply #127 on: May 26, 2017, 11:56:38 AM »
Well said, Moto; I should have included something like that along the way.

BUT BEWARE!

Not all of those events prepare their mutton (and etc.'s) the way St. Mary's does.

In other words, many (indeed, most) "cheat" as do so many retail establishments around this country that parboil the meat before putting on the grill for finishing. 

IMO, only S L O W and L O W fires give it the flavor.  All the sauces in the world are nothing more than cheap perfume on a brothel's employee.   :wink:

Regrettably -- well, actually not, though I wish I'd planned ahead a bit more; never my strength  :rolleyes: -- Kathi and I will be Italy when St. Mary's has its fall picnic.  Sure hope some here get there.

Grazie again.

Bill

Well, maybe next spring's event!

In the meantime, how do you suppose one could research the particular methods of preparation at these events, short of going to each one? (Not that that's a bad-sounding plan.)

Moto

Bill Hagan

« Reply #128 on: May 26, 2017, 04:58:22 PM »
Well, maybe next spring's event!

In the meantime, how do you suppose one could research the particular methods of preparation at these events, short of going to each one? (Not that that's a bad-sounding plan.)

Moto

Good question.

I will ask my "sources."   :wink:

Bill

Offline Texas Turnip

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #129 on: May 26, 2017, 05:45:50 PM »
ERR, Mr. Hagan how would you know about "cheap perfume on a brothels employee?"
Tex

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #130 on: May 26, 2017, 06:46:27 PM »
What a list of food events!   And I always thought Baptists were the ones who'd use any excuse to have a covered dish supper.   They can't hold a candle (so to speak) to these guys ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Nick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #131 on: May 27, 2017, 06:04:52 AM »
Beautiful morning at Willville

Yep, that's Corfield's bike on the right. He stopped by on a "VA rally coordinating run", and ended up spending the night.

This morning's “local” breakfast

BTW I've been calling area's restaurants and, so far, not one has lamb chops on the menu!

Hope you feel better Bill.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here