Author Topic: [LEAK SOURCE FOUND] With Friends Like These ... Norge Oil-Leak Content  (Read 2283 times)

Bill Hagan

So ... there I wuz.

Decided not to post a thread here, but instead I sought the technical assistance from Wayne and some fellow Norge owners -- N.J. Nick, Atlanta Mike, Pa. John, and Atlanta Joe -- about a pesky oil leak on mine. 

I sent a lengthy email replete with photos, and followed it with more observations of what I thought might be the cause.

Here's an example of my pix:

Wayne was helpful, but got nada from the others except Dr. John, who offered to come down from Hollidaysburg this weekend with one of those "colonoscopy cams" to look into the innards a bit.

So, in a follow-on email I remarked quite truthfully albeit a bit undiplomatically when I added more addressees: "Surely they cannot be as useless as have Nick and Mike.  :-) "

What do I then get but this from Nick:

"Well, Billy Boy, what you don't know is that Mike and I spend the better part of Monday night discussing your problem while also trying to read between the lines of your convoluted explanation of what the symptoms may be and, because of the poor quality of your pictures, we basically needed to recreate the problem using our own machines. We forwarded a diagnostic draft to Wayne, so he could translate it in a way that you could understand it. (As Wayne so rightly stated:  I've been dealing with Hagan for what it seems like forever, so I'm familiar with his limited technical lingo and understanding)

We also held a vote and elected Wayne to "deal" with you in the future. The vote was: Wayne 2, Nick 0, Mike 0. As you can see, when Wayne realized he was winning (or as he said: losing), he abstained. :-)

Buona Fortuna, Guglielmo!

Nick

Ps.: Congratulations to Joe and Dr. Wells...and Good Luck! You're gonna need it."

The man can write.  And, as H. L. Mencken once said, "Injustice is relatively easy to bear; what stings is justice."   :grin:

John joined in the lynching with calling my approach to working on Guzzis "exuberant wrenching."  :rolleyes:

The worst part is that Kathi is still giggling.   :embarrassed:

Guzzi life is good.   :bike-037:

Bill

[Edited to remove those @#$% �'s.  :evil:]
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 08:11:23 PM by Bill Hagan »

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
Re: With Friends Like These ... Norge Oil-Leak Content
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 08:40:36 AM »
I  envy your ability to keep such kind friends and listen to their carefully considered counsel. Stop Leak?  R3~ 

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 09:25:53 AM »
Just fix it ! You can do it. A simple oring on the vent plate.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 11:15:29 AM »
Hmmm, Bill.. it looks as if you've been attending the Ken Hand School of Motorcycle Detailing. Maybe you could just let the grunge build up some more and plug up the leak?  :evil: :smiley:   
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 11:15:29 AM »

twowings

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 01:21:48 PM »
Slap on some H-D decals and tell people it's an factory prototype you're testing...problem solved!  :cheesy:

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 02:04:16 PM »
Hmmm, Bill.. it looks as if you've been attending the Ken Hand School of Motorcycle Detailing. Maybe you could just let the grunge build up some more and plug up the leak?  :evil: :smiley:

Seal it with dead June bugs. <shrug> Season is coming up.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 03:09:13 PM »
Seal it with dead June bugs. <shrug> Season is coming up.

Just in case june bugs are not appropriate for his area ....

http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/Bike_20Beauty_20Bugs#1399933811
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 07:22:16 PM »
Just in case june bugs are not appropriate for his area ....

http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/Bike_20Beauty_20Bugs#1399933811

That is funny! :thumb:

Remember seeing a photo of Ken's bike at a rally. The front was obscured with ants busy eating the road kill. :grin:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Bill Hagan

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 08:09:08 PM »
Funny re bugs ... I think.   :rolleyes:

On the bright side, I have figured out the leak.

Here's what I just sent to my Guzzi gang of Norge owners:

OK.

Think I've broken the code.

The weeping leak was NOT from OPS, cam sensor, or crankcase vent.

I pulled the alternator cover.  What a monumental PITA, at least with front wheel and forks in place as they were not last time I did this; then again, I am easily awed by such things.

Anyway, lookee at what I found.  See pix.  Several appear quite similar but give different views in to the hole. 

Yup, the hole for the lowest fastener on the RH (as you face it) side is oozing red (Motul) oil.  Clean & clear, i.e., not black.  Appears to be a very small fissure of pin-hole size.

This is above the sump and subject only to crankcase pressure and splash oil.

So, what is best fix now?

I've talked to some of you this afternoon, and -- while a new "firewall" back there is a theoretical option, I am not going there; intend to use some sort of bonding material, e.g., JB Weld, at the back to try to seal the hole or crack that is letting the oil through.  That can be problematic in application or, perhaps more accurately, might be problematic for ME to apply!

OTOH, as Dr. John suggested, maybe just some Permatex or similar bond on threads and at fastener head, perhaps augmented with an o-ring might do the trick.

Oh, causation.  I was the last guy to reinstall that alternator cover.  Before, however, you declare me guilty -- tho the evidence is awkward for my defense counsel -- consider that I am fastidious about removing fasteners in order and in putting them in plastic trays in order of removal.  I have not measured that particular hole (yet) and certainly don't recall feeling that or any fastener bottoming out. 

But I cannot say that the very same original fastener that I removed was the same I replaced.  They appear to be same size (16mm), but burring on ends are a bit different.  You can see the one I removed this time, as it still has a visible coating of oil on its tip. Confusing to me how this happened.  I throw myself on the mercy of this court, but you all make Torquemada seem benevolent.   :laugh:

Yes, I also earned a Purple Heart along the way.  The lift's brand name is an ironic backdrop to my wound!

Bill

[Edited cuz I detest those �'s]
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 08:13:47 PM by Bill Hagan »

twowings

It's not YOURS until you bleed on it! Hope you get it fixed... :thumb:

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: [LEAK SOURCE FOUND] With Friends Like These ... Norge Oil-Leak Content
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 06:41:07 AM »
Looks to me that it would be a sincere and monumental task to fix that from the back side. I think I'd just clean the threads with solvent and install the screw with Permatex. Nothing much to lose, and if it stops the leak, you're done.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Bill Hagan

Re: [LEAK SOURCE FOUND] With Friends Like These ... Norge Oil-Leak Content
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2017, 07:45:37 AM »
It's not YOURS until you bleed on it! Hope you get it fixed... :thumb:

Yup.  :grin:

Looks to me that it would be a sincere and monumental task to fix that from the back side. I think I'd just clean the threads with solvent and install the screw with Permatex. Nothing much to lose, and if it stops the leak, you're done.

Yup, again.

Kathi just loves going to auto-parts stores  :rolleyes:, but, as she is out and about today, I convinced her to pick up a tube.  :grin:

So, now I can get back to cleaning the Norge -- your prior comments noted  :wink: -- and making sparks light up the Moto Grappa while getting that wiring harness installed on the Griso.   :shocked:

Bill

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here