Author Topic: Eldorado front drum "mushy" feel  (Read 1613 times)

Offline Allflatblack

• New Egg
Eldorado front drum "mushy" feel
« on: April 11, 2017, 08:05:12 AM »
Hey guys: I race with AHRMA and use an Eldorado front drum on my Sportsman bike. It stops perfectly and without question, and for the largest production drum brake available, $100 for the drum with the stock Borranni rim and stainless spokes made a big difference. My friends are throwing down $1,000 to $4,000 for stuff that I feel stops no better.
There is one thing: The Eldorado has a mushy feel. I can’t tell if it is flexing or the set up could be better. I have reconfigured it in a dozen ways over the last four years and just never get the feel of a positive stop. The brake begins to lock at a quarter of the lever pull but never really provides real resistance all the way to the lever. (at the lever it is providing real stopping power, confident at the 3 marker on the back straight at Road America going terminal, maybe 110 mph).
The cable is the thickest I can have made, the shoes are ferrodo and arced to shape. It works very well, never fades, just feels nothing like a Norton or triumph TLS. I am considering making new actuator arms out of steel, but can’t think of anything else.

Does anyone out there with an Eldo or Ambassador run this brake and concur that this is just the feel of the brake and nothing can be done? Have you tried something? Perhaps there is a brace out there I am unaware of, like a Norton?
I appreciate any advice.

Online Tom H

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Eldorado front drum "mushy" feel
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 01:52:20 PM »
My Eldo must be set up just right. Easy pulling lever and stops on a dime, especially when I used a set of shoes from Guzzi Classics. My Ambo, I have yet to get it just right, lever is hard and just stops ok to good, just not great. I believe the Ambo has Ferado in it.

The Guzzi Classics shoes stopped great, but were a bit hard on the drum, rather aggressive material I think.

Greg Benders Guzzi site explains how to set up the front brake. I'm sure you have already look at that, if not give it a quick read.

Good luck,
Tom
2004 Cali EV Touring
1972 Eldo
1970 Ambo V1000
1973 R75/5 SWB with Toaster
2007 HD Street Bob
1953 Triumph 6T (one day it will be on the road!)

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 04:42:18 PM »
Only two things that I can think of and you might have already done both:

1) before final tightening the front axle nut, elevate the front end, tighten the axle nut, tighten the right-side axle pinch bolt, loosen the axle nut, spin the wheel as fast as possible (in the correct direction of rotation), "slam on" the brakes and hold them on, tighten axle nut. Then go back and loosen the pinch bolt, work the forks up and down, then tighten both pinch bolts. This "centers" the backing plate and shoes to the drum.

2) adjust the link between the two arms so that both shoes are applied equally. Tough to do sometimes.

Another tip someone (Vintage Brake?) told me was to put the locknut for the cable adjuster, down on the backing plate, on the rear side of the lug instead of the front side of the lug. Most times my cables are a bit on the short side and I can't do that, so don't know if it makes a difference or not.

Hope this helps.
Charlie

Offline Allflatblack

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 09:16:18 AM »
Thanks guys

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 09:16:18 AM »

Offline L.A.kevin

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 09:11:28 PM »
A BSA A65 clutch cable fits (with a bit extra length but) is much thicker and less prone to stretching.

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 10:18:42 PM »
Here's a photo of "Classics" lined shoes.   I made the mistake of running a finger over the surface when I got them and promptly cut my finger.

Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline Allflatblack

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 01:07:24 PM »
I have to admit that while my street bike is a Guzzi G5, this AHRMA bike is a 69' Honda CB350 racer. basically everything is custom including a custom cable setup built for me by Barnett. The axle has been modified to fit a a 35mm CB550 front ens and so it is reasonable to assume that this feel issue is due to the different arrangements that I have had to make. ill try to post a picture

This is me being a cool guy at Kershaw the other week.

Offline Allflatblack

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 02:56:01 PM »
No, No its an Eldo 2ls! Im not rich!

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 10:21:17 PM »
Only two things that I can think of and you might have already done both:

2) adjust the link between the two arms so that both shoes are applied equally. Tough to do sometimes.

This would be my first thought. Sometimes easiest to do with two people, one to squeeze the levers hard on and one to adjust the linkage arm to the precise length.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Allflatblack

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 03:53:31 PM »
Thanks Muzz

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here