Author Topic: Blind bearing puller needed  (Read 7088 times)

oldbike54

Blind bearing puller needed
« on: May 31, 2017, 05:32:32 PM »
 Hey fellas , any idea where we might rent or borrow a blind bearing puller for a bearing with a 17 MM ID . Our source for this has apparently dried up . If you have a source , please let us know . Thanks .

Dusty

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: Blind bearing puller needed
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 05:37:43 PM »
I got a cheap Chinese set from Northern Tool or Harbor Freight, 4 sizes $75
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 05:53:13 PM »
I got a cheap Chinese set from Northern Tool or Harbor Freight, 4 sizes $75

It must have been Northern.  You can buy half the tools in the HF catalog for that much money total.   :grin:
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 05:58:48 PM »
 Dusty, I have simply welded a bead on the race,a known trick... When it cools the bead shrinks and the race falls out... This worked on many situations including Guzzi swing arm races....Of course it ruins the bearing   :grin:

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 05:58:48 PM »

oldbike54

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 06:16:08 PM »
Dusty, I have simply welded a bead on the race,a known trick... When it cools the bead shrinks and the race falls out... This worked on many situations including Guzzi swing arm races....Of course it ruins the bearing   :grin:

This is a roller bearing , and a new one at that . The mechanic made an understandable mistake and caught it before any harm was done . He just needs to remove the bearing, preferably W/O damage . There were two bearings that were the same OD , different ID .

Dusty

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 06:23:06 PM »
I have a Toledo set, that includes a 17mm one.  I'm fairly sure they can be purchased individually.

Offline guzziownr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 06:25:10 PM »
I got a steering wheel puller for my Griso pulley from Autozone.  They loan tools out for free!
If you ever feel like no one pays attention to you, try making a sandwich in front of your dog

oldbike54

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 06:28:24 PM »
I got a steering wheel puller for my Griso pulley from Autozone.  They loan tools out for free!

They did , but not now in this area . That is the problem , when the old bearing was pulled they were renting/loaning tools , a week later no .

Dusty

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 06:39:44 PM »
" a blind bearing puller " ....

I'm picturing somebody like Master Po ( 0:59 ) " .... let the bearing puller come unasked, unplanned .... "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2yIkDVs0cA
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 07:15:53 PM »
This is a roller bearing , and a new one at that . The mechanic made an understandable mistake and caught it before any harm was done . He just needs to remove the bearing, preferably W/O damage . There were two bearings that were the same OD , different ID .

Dusty
  I believe the mechanic needs to get a bearing puller   :tongue:

Offline Lumpy Idle

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 07:20:39 PM »
I have the harbor freight set. it is a POS and failed on first use when pulling the pilot bearing out of a toyota truck crankshaft. i can't recommend it.
'97 1100Sporti
'76 850T3

"You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter."
--- Anonymous

oldbike54

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2017, 07:31:10 PM »
  I believe the mechanic needs to get a bearing puller   :tongue:

He isn't home . The problem occurred because Autozone changed their policy .

Dusty

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2017, 07:35:10 PM »
I see Amazon has a kit ($35) that includes the size you need.  Prime = free shipping.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2017, 07:49:26 PM »
I thought Blind Bearing Puller was an old blues man :afro:

ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

twowings

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2017, 07:54:55 PM »
That's Blind Lemon Pledge...

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2017, 08:02:36 PM »
That's Blind Lemon Pledge...

Blind Mello Chitlin'
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 08:03:36 PM by Guzzistajohn »

oldbike54

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2017, 08:07:44 PM »
 Dang , ask a serious question trying to help out a brother , and you guys go all goofy . Next time I'll ask a Harley forum  :shocked:

Dusty

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2017, 08:10:22 PM »
Dang , ask a serious question trying to help out a brother , and you guys go all goofy . Next time I'll ask a Harley forum  :shocked:

Dusty

OOOoooooo that hurts!

Remember the old song: She was squealing in the raceway by Blind Bearing Puller?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 08:14:08 PM by Guzzistajohn »

oldbike54

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2017, 08:57:26 PM »
If you have one, you might try Autozone or O'Reilly auto parts stores; both will loan you tools.  (Actually, you buy the tool, use it and then return it for the full purchase price refunded.)

Except neither store in the locale where this happening has a blind bearing puller anymore

Dusty

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2017, 10:27:51 PM »

Dusty

I was going to suggest just close your eyes, but I won't now. :evil:

Seriously Dusty, getting it out without damaging the bearing may be tricky. Can you heat the area where the bearing is? Sometimes if the clearance is not too tight they will drop out. (If the casting is alloy; greater expansion than steel)
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

oldbike54

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2017, 10:54:11 PM »
I was going to suggest just close your eyes, but I won't now. :evil:

Seriously Dusty, getting it out without damaging the bearing may be tricky. Can you heat the area where the bearing is? Sometimes if the clearance is not too tight they will drop out. (If the casting is alloy; greater expansion than steel)

Don't know Muzz , this is happening a thousand miles from my location on a vehicle I have no familiarity with . The mechanic is probably reading this , dunno .

Dusty

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2017, 01:16:50 AM »
I have the harbor freight set. it is a POS and failed on first use when pulling the pilot bearing out of a toyota truck crankshaft. i can't recommend it.

Did you use any heat (heat gun) to loosen the bearing before trying to pull it out?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 01:17:57 AM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline Lumpy Idle

• Gosling
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2017, 01:22:54 PM »
nope, we didn't. eventually i went to a friend's shop and begged him to let me borrow his snapon version. it came right out with the snapon. the problem with the HF is the design. the part of the lip of the puller that touches the edge of the bearing race is rounded. if your bearing is at all stuck the puller just slides over the edge of the bearing. you cannot get a good purchase on the bearing because every time you whack the slide hammer the tool starts to walk out (yes, we tightened it sufficiently.) the snapon tool just had 2 birdsmouth bits of stamped steel that are hinged. it grabbed solidly and the bearing popped right out.
'97 1100Sporti
'76 850T3

"You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter."
--- Anonymous

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2017, 01:49:48 PM »
We use a commercial heat gun (250F) on the cast part to get the bearing out easier.  Works every time but wasn't aware HF had a tool like that either.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 01:51:38 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline Lumpy Idle

• Gosling
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2017, 02:00:51 PM »
i have a heat gun that i use for shrink wrap. its actually fairly hefty. i have used it on bearings that are set into an aluminum casting and it works a treat. the pilot bearing for the toyota was set right into the crank - steel on steel. i don't know whether or not a heat gun would have helped there because the crank is a huge heat sink and we would have just heated up the bearing instead - which would have made it even more difficult to remove.  i'm willing to give this a go next time if your experience indicates that it works. i'm always looking for tips like this. thanks.
'97 1100Sporti
'76 850T3

--- Anonymous

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2017, 02:48:09 PM »
I have an update from the players.  Bearing is out.  Massive application of heat gun and other persuasion.  Bearing undamaged.  They say thanks all for the help, and also that the sense of humor around here is questionable.   :huh:

Offline Psychopasta

• Gosling
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2017, 03:57:59 PM »
I used the Harbor Freight puller to pull the swing arm bearings from my Monza. Worked a treat.

- M
V50 Monza 1981
Moto Guzzi V7 Stone Special 2023
Honda Goldwing 2019
Aprilia Tuareg 660 2023
Ancient A65 Bitsa, in pieces

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2017, 07:00:56 PM »
I have an update from the players.  Bearing is out.  Massive application of heat gun and other persuasion.  Bearing undamaged.  They say thanks all for the help, and also that the sense of humor around here is questionable.   :huh:

Not questionable, non existent.

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2017, 01:32:13 AM »
i have a heat gun that i use for shrink wrap. its actually fairly hefty. i have used it on bearings that are set into an aluminum casting and it works a treat. the pilot bearing for the toyota was set right into the crank - steel on steel. i don't know whether or not a heat gun would have helped there because the crank is a huge heat sink and we would have just heated up the bearing instead - which would have made it even more difficult to remove.  i'm willing to give this a go next time if your experience indicates that it works. i'm always looking for tips like this. thanks.

Not sure steel on steel a heat gun would do the trick.  :undecided:  Maybe an oxy/acetyline torch would do if nothing else worked.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 01:33:43 AM by Arizona Wayne »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here