Author Topic: Electrical Enigma  (Read 5365 times)

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: Electrical Enigma
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2017, 10:32:26 AM »
Well?   You get rid of those faeries yet?
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

oldbike54

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2017, 10:58:19 AM »
Well?   You get rid of those faeries yet?

Yes , had a broken wire .

Dusty

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2017, 11:02:48 AM »
Yes , had a broken wire .

Dusty

Which one?
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

oldbike54

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2017, 11:19:55 AM »

Which one?

A little green/black one  :rolleyes:

Dusty

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2017, 11:19:55 AM »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2017, 11:24:23 AM »
A little green/black one  :rolleyes:

Dusty

I was asking because I'd missed the original thread and just read through it. I figured that since more than a few people were speculating on why the symptoms were showing up that way that perhaps knowing which part of the circuit was causing the problem might help them understand it for future troubleshooting.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2017, 11:40:47 AM »
I'm calling you next time, oh wait, want to go to OH and install turn signals on a 93 Cali? The Lil Blue Man has been asking me to come up and fix. It's only been 5yrs waiting. Now you're the tail lite expert.

Glad you got it done.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2017, 12:23:55 PM »
I was asking because I'd missed the original thread and just read through it. I figured that since more than a few people were speculating on why the symptoms were showing up that way that perhaps knowing which part of the circuit was causing the problem might help them understand it for future troubleshooting.

Yes please elaborate
was it around the steering head
how many miles on the bike?
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2017, 12:31:57 PM »
Hell, thats L/H blinker, so, it was back feed.

oldbike54

« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2017, 01:01:01 PM »
 I'll try to elaborate , although my skills with electrical stuff is EXTREMELY limited .

Some of you may remember my breakdown in Bristow OK a couple of years back . The board went to work as it always does and helped solve the problem . Anyway , this was related , for some reason Guzzi does not do a very good job routing all of the wiring around the steering head , there had already been a fix done when the bike was new , and a this wire had pulled out of a cheap bullet connector . Anyway , the same wire broke at a different spot , it appears to control both the brake light circuit and at least one blinker . So I bypassed a long somewhat brittle section, and spliced in a new section of wire . That , combined with a loose wire in the tail light body seemed to be causing the entire problem . Anyway , have pulled apart and cleaned the 3 main multi pin connectors under the plastic cover at the front right of the frame , repaired a tail light socket , and now soon will be moving onto the handlebar switches and headlight . None of this work is necessarily pretty , used an old piece of innertube wrapped around a section of the main harness as extra insulation and for abrasion resistance , but the old Jackal , like its rider , ain't pretty to begin with  :laugh:

I really do want to thank the experts who have helped both times , this place is amazing .

Dusty

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2017, 02:19:00 PM »
The wires around the steering head are a weak point, that's why I asked about the mileage.
If the wires bend at one spot the copper work hardens, goes brittle and snaps, I helped my riding buddy with his 70s Kawasaki, it had 4 broken wires. It's quite easy to find them, just reef on them one wire at a time and they will give at the break point.
It's best not to strap them together tightly where they flex just leave them gently twist over several inches. that way as one part of the copper goes hard it distributes the flexing further along, just like a bad back :smiley:

Really, I think the connectors are just there to help Luigi assemble the bike, when do you ever need to unplug them, nothing wrong with just splicing the main loom to the headlight etc.
If you have headlight relays in the bucket an old computer mouse or keyboard cable is great for wiring to the switches. I say with relays because I wouldn't like to run 5 Amps through it, fine for the 100mA that a relay coil draws
Don't worry what it looks like but for gawds sake no wire nuts LOL

Another thing I like to do with an older bike is add a fat fuse at the battery to the red wire feeding the ignition switch, all that un-fused wiring makes the sparky in me cringe.
Fusing the red wire has a bonus, it's a great source of high power at the headlight bucket for your headlight relays, don't even need fuses at that end
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 02:30:53 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

oldbike54

« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2017, 02:33:29 PM »
 No wire nuts Roy  :laugh:

Actually I have a decent enough grasp on 'lecrtical magic , just that old eyes can make it hard to see those little wires . A guy brought me an old Triumph years ago that wouldn't run , he had used wire nuts and tape everywhere . A complete do over was necessary , but with those old things it only took about 8 wires total to make them work .

Dusty

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2017, 08:40:12 PM »
Dusty, get yourself a jar a "Diode Powder."  Made by Kenveco Electronics.   It's got that nano-diode technology that makes the electricity flow in the correct direction.   Good stuff, but not cheap.

I think it comes in a spray can now.
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here