Author Topic: Nice looking sidecar rig on fleaBay...  (Read 2566 times)

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Rusnak_322

• Gosling
Re: Nice looking sidecar rig on fleaBay...
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 03:57:49 PM »
Kinda neat. Not liking the silver frame with red lower frame rails and swing arm. Also don't think that the front fender and bars look like they belong on that bike.

Also $40k buy it now is CRAZY
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 03:59:18 PM by Rusnak_322 »
1975 Moto Guzzi 850T - café racer in progress
2007 Ducati Monster S4Rs

jwinwi

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 04:03:12 PM »
What's going on at the exhaust crossover/muffler junction?

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 04:04:34 PM »
Kinda neat. Not liking the silver frame with red lower frame rails and swing arm. Also don't think that the front fender and bars look like they belong on that bike.

Also $40k buy it now is CRAZY

QUOTE: You could do it yourself for about $40K....No reserve on the bid, starting at $10,000, I believe
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 04:04:34 PM »

Offline Rusnak_322

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 04:17:35 PM »
QUOTE: You could do it yourself for about $40K....No reserve on the bid, starting at $10,000, I believe

my bad. I had a hard time reading the text. I thought $10k opening bid was a deal then saw the $40k and thought that was his price. Would so much rather have this then a Ural.
1975 Moto Guzzi 850T - café racer in progress
2007 Ducati Monster S4Rs

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 04:24:58 PM »
my bad. I had a hard time reading the text. I thought $10k opening bid was a deal then saw the $40k and thought that was his price. Would so much rather have this then a Ural.

The point is...one could not not build a rig like this for $10K...(IMHO) :wink: :cool:  Also, the late Perry Bushong had a great reputation fine sidecar work...as I understand and have read... :thumb:
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 05:16:57 PM »
What's going on at the exhaust crossover/muffler junction?

Looks like they criss-cross, don't know why.
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 06:07:57 PM »
Itsa bitsa.  Not sure about the story.  He claims a perfect fit of v7 sport tinwork on a bassa frame because the frames are identical.  The bassa is three inches longer.  So either something was modified or it's a short wheelbase frame with a bassa title.

Also, the EV dogleg swingarm will take a 160 tire without mods and EV wheels are tubeless.  It seems odd to want to reinvent that business.  Likewise it's odd that such a sporty-built bike would get tug duty.

All that said, it might be worth the opening bid to separate the hack and deal with the two parts separately.

$0.02

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 07:20:37 PM »
Not a comment to this rig, which might be a very nice one for all I know about them, but about the advert/description ....

Does it EVER EVER do any good to talk about what it cost to build what you're selling?

As a buyer, it never makes a nickel's worth of difference to me.   It's a much modified Guzzi with a sidecar on it.    I really don't care how much the seller paid to (1) Buy it  (2)  Get the parts for it  (3) Pay an expert to build it.

That's all water over the bridge (or is it under the dam?)    Doesn't matter at all.    "You are what you are at the end" goes the old saying, and the bike is worth whatever it's worth as it sets, NOT all the money that it took to get it there over the years .....

Yep, big Guzzi with a well-done sidecar, $5000 maybe.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Psychopasta

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 10:30:35 PM »
Does it EVER EVER do any good to talk about what it cost to build what you're selling?

I agree that it does not. It's really poor selling, and tends to signal a seller trying to insulate himself from reality.

- P
V50 Monza 1981
Moto Guzzi V7 Stone Special 2023
Honda Goldwing 2019
Aprilia Tuareg 660 2023
Ancient A65 Bitsa, in pieces

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2018, 09:16:00 AM »
I agree with most of what everyone pointed out...and if someone DOES buys this rig for around $5,000, they will have landed a pretty good deal...(IMHO) :wink:
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2018, 09:23:32 AM »
I agree with most of what everyone pointed out...and if someone DOES buys this rig for around $5,000, they will have landed a pretty good deal...(IMHO) :wink:

It will make a big difference (as it does on any sale of a custom or a bike with a higher price because it's been completely rebuilt) if the buyer knows the seller, or knows the guy who set it up and knows the person's work.    If you don't know any of that, and it could have been Joe Sh!t the Ragman who rebuilt it, then the price is lower.   If it's someone you know and trust and you call to check, and they say "Yep, I did that one, and you can believe it's a good one!  Dude paid a fortune for all the best stuff I could get!" then you pay the price with confidence.

Sort of a personal thing, that, so market prices barely apply ....

Lannis

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2018, 09:28:33 AM »
 5000 is about tops for that bike. And that is if the mounts are done correctly.  The original mounts for that hack use clamp on connections that slip.  That is the wrong sidecar for it anyway.  That sidecar is too light and too lightly built for a full size Guzzi.  I have had 12 sidecar rigs and built half of them from scratch.  The biggest bike I have used one of that sidecar on was a 650 Suzuki, and I modified the sidecar axle to be 20 mm.  The original was 15 mm but they did make a later model with a 17mm axle.  Still too lightly built to be safe over time.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2018, 03:42:25 PM »
It will make a big difference (as it does on any sale of a custom or a bike with a higher price because it's been completely rebuilt) if the buyer knows the seller, or knows the guy who set it up and knows the person's work.    If you don't know any of that, and it could have been Joe Sh!t the Ragman who rebuilt it, then the price is lower.   If it's someone you know and trust and you call to check, and they say "Yep, I did that one, and you can believe it's a good one!  Dude paid a fortune for all the best stuff I could get!" then you pay the price with confidence.

Sort of a personal thing, that, so market prices barely apply ....

Lannis

As far as the sidecar goes, the late Perry Bushong of Texas was NOT...Joe Sh!t the Ragman...and as far as I knew, he had a good, solid, reputation for his sidecar work.  With regards to the bike itself read this from the ad: 

It should be credited that Mark Etheridge at Moto Guzzi Classics helped repeatedly through this phase.  There is no better.  (Mark also built me a modern Eldo from a Bassa before this.)

But in general, and as we all know... the ol' motto always holds true..."Let The Buyer Beware..." :wink:
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 04:02:03 PM by JJ »
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2018, 06:03:29 PM »
As mentioned above, lighter isn't necessarily better with rigs, and Mark at MG Classics knows his stuff when it comes to Tontis and Loops. The Velorex is too flimsy (IMHO) to build a viable rig with a big block Guzzi..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2018, 06:29:16 PM »
As far as the sidecar goes, the late Perry Bushong of Texas was NOT...Joe Sh!t the Ragman...and as far as I knew, he had a good, solid, reputation for his sidecar work. 

And that's good ... you know him, I don't; I was just speaking in general, again, I know nothing about this particular hack.   If you trust him and give him the good word, that's good enough for me.

Lannis

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2018, 06:32:43 PM »
As far as the sidecar goes, the late Perry Bushong of Texas was NOT...Joe Sh!t the Ragman...and as far as I knew, he had a good, solid, reputation for his sidecar work.  With regards to the bike itself read this from the ad: 

It should be credited that Mark Etheridge at Moto Guzzi Classics helped repeatedly through this phase.  There is no better.  (Mark also built me a modern Eldo from a Bassa before this.)

But in general, and as we all know... the ol' motto always holds true..."Let The Buyer Beware..." :wink:

Yeah, the Etheridge reference makes me nervous.  He seems to want us to think that Mark had a hand in the build, but "this phase" refers to the repurchase of the bike from the guy he sold it to.  It doesn't mean Mark had any other involvement with it.  If Mark had been involved, I think the external filter sump wouldn't be a mystery.  Here's the context of the quote:

"After a couple of years I sold it, missed it, and bought it back a couple of years later.  The true gentleman that bought it said he was tired of telling people he didn’t build it.  It should be credited that Mark Etheridge at Moto Guzzi Classics helped repeatedly through this phase."

So all it means is that Etheridge helped him convince the new owner to sell it back to him.

It remains a confusing story about an unknown frame with a hopped-up 1100 and V7 Sport tinwork hauling the wrong car on a bolt-up subframe. 

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2018, 07:52:44 PM »
The point is...one could not not build a rig like this for $10K...(IMHO) :wink: :cool:  Also, the late Perry Bushong had a great reputation fine sidecar work...as I understand and have read... :thumb:
Is Perry Bushong a name I remember from the BMW world ...... maybe as long as 30 years ago?
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here