Author Topic: Your first Guzzi....?  (Read 12590 times)

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
Your first Guzzi....?
« on: April 06, 2018, 09:11:51 AM »
Thought it’d be fun to hear about your first experience with our beloved MG’s. Chime in, good, bad, whatever.

Mine started with a 750 Breva. Had the hard bags and it was in good shape.
First impression? What in the world have I done?! Seriously, it was small at least on me and let’s say it did not have; “tons of torque” or HP for that matter but it was a 750! It just did not inspire me. (your experiences with this particular bike may be different and I respect that)

So...... I sold it and contemplated why I wanted a Guzzi in the first place. This after many other brands you see.

It was the look, the motor “twist” and the overall character. Something about a Guzzi.

Undaunted, I rose again to the challenge and bought a...Stelvio NTX! But that’s another story for another day.

inditx
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
Re: Your first Guzzi....?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 09:20:13 AM »
After having my 1972 Kawasaki H2 as my only motorcycle since 1978, I thought it would be fun to try something different.  Since I was about 12, I had thought the unusual engine configuration was interesting, and in looking around Craigslist, I saw an '89 Mille for sale locally.  It turned out the owner was board member Joe Matthews.  The sale went smoothly, and I've enjoyed the motorcycle ever since, tending to ride it on longer rides and trips, and getting on the H2 for shorter jaunts.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 09:25:36 AM »
Jack Arnold met me in Toronto Ohio at a BSA rally and suggested I come to the Guzzi National in Virginia later that month.

I did, found that Guzzi people were the kind I wanted to hang with, I needed a road motorcycle since (like Triple Jim) my old nail was not really a touring all-rounder.   

Saw one of these bikes at Winchester and fell in love with it, but the day I was there for a test ride, another customer wrecked a new demonstrator Ducati and Carl shut down test rides for a while.

Tom Stapelkamp in Delaware had this one for sale with not many miles on it, and agreed to deliver it to my house.   So without even riding one, I bought it and put many happy miles on it ...

A very nice bike all-rounder ...

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 09:35:43 AM »
Sorry I missed seeing that one, Lannis.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 09:35:43 AM »

Offline m13

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 09:38:11 AM »
WOW!, way back in 1973 I saw an Eldorado at a motorcycle show here in DC. I was riding a little Triumph at the time and decided I HAD to have an Eldorado. A few weeks later my first Guzzi. At that time ( I was in my early 20's) I thought I was really something profiling around town on this HUGE new shiney black bike. Kept her till she chromed flaked and self destructed on me around 20,000 miles.
Leonardtown, Maryland
'69 Manky V700
'60-something?(who really knows) Chang jiang 750

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PORS0y5exgY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B24-c-rJM_Q

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 09:42:03 AM »
I was 20 years old and bought a "well worn" '76 Convert (complete with Windjammer and Harley Tour Pack) from Snavely Service in Arlington, VA.
Charlie

Offline ejs

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 10:15:08 AM »
Had a tuned Kawasaki 750turbo :whip2:, in 2013 i wanted an more laidback MC.
 Therefore I bought a California EV with 100hp less than the turbo
Same fun at less speed.  :copcar:

California EV 1999

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 10:19:56 AM »
Had a tuned Kawasaki 750turbo :whip2:, in 2013 i wanted an more laidback MC.
 Therefore I bought a California EV with 100hp less than the turbo

Whoa there big fella ... whoa ... cut that about in half and you'll be pretty close .... !

Lannis

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 10:41:49 AM »
2015 V7 in spring.  That Fall 2014 Norge.
Last year 2001 Jackal.  What took me so long I'll never know!
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 10:44:16 AM »
40 years ago so a little hazy.. 850T, I rode it all over the Rocky Mountains, solo.. one break down near in Miles City Montana, was able to limp in to town one one lung.  A BMW dealer showed me how to put in a VW coil and I was back on the road.

yep that's a CB antenna..
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 10:56:36 AM »
40 years ago so a little hazy.. 850T, I rode it all over the Rocky Mountains, solo.. one break down near in Miles City Montana, was able to limp in to town one one lung.  A BMW dealer showed me how to put in a VW coil and I was back on the road.

Nice hat!  I don't suppose you got any "Y'ain't from 'round hyah, air ye boy?" comments ... ?  :wink:  :grin:

Lannis

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2018, 11:00:22 AM »
October 2009.  Until then, I'd never owned a Guzzi.  Lots of BMWs.  But when Guzzi hung a price of $8995 on a new leftover 2008 1200 Sport, I was hooked.  The bike was at Eddie's Vintage Bikes in Swanzey, New Hampshire.  Paid Eddie for the bike, but waited until the following April to take delivery.  Although the stock ergonomics, especially the wide, flat handlebars didn't work for me, I knew immediately that this was a special machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIyCC7IPL7Y

Homecoming - April, 2010, and 67000 miles ago

Note little church over right mirror ... Cy Young buried in church cemetery ...Peoli, Ohio

« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 02:33:12 PM by ohiorider »
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline guzzista

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 11:17:44 AM »
My first Guzzi was a non running 1970 Ambo languishing in a garden across the street from Golden Gate Park  in San Francisco back in 1977. I used to drive by and dreamed of owning it for months. Eventually I sold my 1964 Nova in order to get the 400 bucks to close the deal. Pushed the bike home as I lived less than 10 bocks away, and, after working on it during the spring, it became my daily transportation for the next 2 years.
1975 750S Tribute bike, 1994 Cali 1100, 2007 Ducati GT1000, 1983 SP1000, 1973 V7Sport project, 2017 California1400 Touring

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2018, 11:23:20 AM »
My first Guzzi was a non running 1970 Ambo languishing in a garden across the street from Golden Gate Park  in San Francisco back in 1977. I used to drive by and dreamed of owning it for months. Eventually I sold my 1964 Nova in order to get the 400 bucks to close the deal. Pushed the bike home as I lived less than 10 bocks away, and, after working on it during the spring, it became my daily transportation for the next 2 years.

Funny how that is ... it probably seemed like an "old bike" at the time.

But today, it would be like saying "I found an old 2011 Stelvio languishing in a garden, not running, and pushed it home."   A seven-year-old bike is like a new one to me these days ....

Lannis

Offline brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2018, 11:33:52 AM »
Mine was a '72 red Eldo that I discovered in the basement of a house I was renting in '89, in St. Louie. The landlord was letting a friend store his collection of vintage, un-restored bikes. Of all of them, the Guzzi fascinated me the most, and I would go into the basement and sit on it for long moments, like a little kid making engine noises. I finally bought it from the owner for 1k, cleaned the carbs, put a battery in it, and rode it for another 3 yrs or so. I moved to Lompoc, CA during that time, and would regularly commute to Santa Barbara and back along 101/rt 1. I even rode it to LA a couple of times, and bought a set of Wixom bags from Mark @ MG Classics. Probably had ~40k miles on it when I sold it, never ONCE even HEARD about the chrome flaking problem.

Ignorance is bliss!
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2018, 12:16:54 PM »
Rewind to 1994. My uncle Calvin declared bankruptcy and gave me his beloved 1972 Eldo in need of a complete restoration due to sitting in the weather for a decade.  Problem was, I was still in the Air Force and stationed on Okinawa Japan playing with bombs.

It wasn't until I got discharged in 1995 that I seen the bike for the first time since I was a grasshopper (he used to take me for rides when I was very young).  Having ridden Harleys, Hondas and Kawis this Guzzi was something else. It was completely shot and after a 9 month attempt to locate parts and such trying to do a restoration (websites and stuff were still kinda new then), I met Steve Walker in Bentonville AR.  He got me in touch with Gene Jones in Eldorado Arkansas.  After getting the ok from my uncle, I traded the completely shot 72 Eldo for a 73 Eldo which I owned until a few years ago and put over 60K on the clock.  Doing this got my uncle and my dad back into riding as they were both on a decade long hiatus from riding.  The 3 of us rode together all over the country from 1996 on until October, 2016 when my uncles health deteriorated and we lost him in September 2017.  My dad still rides his beemers, but mostly just locally. Now, my riding partner is "Luaps Girl" here on the board.

More information than you wanted, but I had to paint the whole picture.

Ya'll be careful out there.  See some of you in a month at Cedar Vale (http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=60111.0)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 12:18:00 PM by Luap McKeever »
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited
2021 TaoTao TBR7

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2018, 12:25:17 PM »
Fantastic replies guys and gals!
Keep em coming!

You meet the nicest people.....on here and on Moto Guzzi’s!
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline ejs

• Gosling
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2018, 12:27:19 PM »
Whoa there big fella ... whoa ... cut that about in half and you'll be pretty close .... !

Lannis
[/quodte]

Sorry.. looked at ny dynocharts. EV=64 rwhp.  Turbo=148 rwhp.  Om the same dynobench.😂
California EV 1999

Offline Rick in WNY

• Gosling
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2018, 12:49:45 PM »
I first heard about Moto Guzzi back in high school. Didn't actually see one in real life until I was in my mid 20s, it was just a guy at a gas station. But that transverse twin was unmistakable. Sadly, my wife was pregnant with our second child, so I had to appreciate motorcycles from a distance. Fast forward to about four years ago, kids are getting older, and the motorcycle itch returned with a vengence! I bought... a Suzuki Savage. Figured it was a safe enough bike, as it could just barely kill me. That bike was responsible for my wife getting hooked on motorcycles. She'd liked them as a kid/teen, but it never went any further than that. It was me and that Savage that gave her the first taste of hands on the bars, rolling down the street.

That eventually led to me getting her signed up for the MSF course last May, and of course I had to take it with her. At the dealer that was hosting the MSF course, way in the back of the showroom, I saw her. My First Guzzi. A 2004 California Titanium. I threw a leg over and was in love. Everything fit, everything was where I expected it to be. I logged in here and asked what I should look for, got some great advice. The following weekend I was back with a trailer and brought her home. She's only the second Guzzi I'd ever seen in person, and she was mine!

We've covered some miles, had some good times, met up with ZoomZoom and a few of the other Guzzi fans. Definitely my kind of people. So, getting ready for my second year with my Moto Guzzi... can't wait to see what adventures come my way!

Guzzi Owner since May 20, 2017
  2004 California Titanium

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2018, 12:59:38 PM »
After my "mint" 1978 Yamaha XS-750 was "stolen" in Austin, TX back in the day, I used the insurance money to buy a brand new 1978 Moto Guzzi 850 LeMans, just like this one from the local Guzzi dealer down there. 

This was my first experience with Moto Guzzi and I was"skinny" 23 year old at the time, working for Motorola. I think I paid $3800 out the door, something like that. :thumb: :cool:  I rode it around for two years and sold it when I moved to Arizona.  Even back then, it was NOT the most comfortable bike for long distance sport touring, (2 x 4 board seat!!), but I was always impressed with the engine / torque / handling / braking / and overall design of this classic motorcycle.... :thumb: :cool: :1:  That's the one that started the obsession for me with Moto Guzzi... :wink: :cool:

« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 07:37:56 AM by JJ »
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2018, 01:06:16 PM »
1977 I bought a 71 Ambassador in Minnesota. Rode it to California where I was stationed at Beale AFB. Found a machine shop that had serviced the police bikes who taught me about chrome cylinders and such. spent time around Hall-Burdette Guzzi in Sacramento, great dealer. I bought another Ambassador and that was that, with two of them I always had one going and never did have a car in California. I had to live in barracks until I became a sergeant so when I was off duty I rode and rode and rode.....
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2018, 01:38:02 PM »

Lannis

Sorry.. looked at ny dynocharts. EV=64 rwhp.  Turbo=148 rwhp.  Om the same dynobench.😂

Even Kawasaki's overinflated taken-at-the-piston-crown HP claims never got over about 115 HP.  On the same scale, Guzzi claimed 74, which was the basis for my "half" comment.

Can't imagine an early 80s Kaw 750 bottom end handling 148 HP!

BUT ... I'm only going by what "seems" to be.    As I always say when it comes to speed and HP claims, "timing slips or it didn't happen".  :thumb:

Lannis

Offline Calculon

• Hatchling
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2018, 02:07:19 PM »
I almost started with a Breva too, but I let someone talk me out of it for a 1980s Honda Shadow.  Had I bought the Breva, my guess is I'd probably still be riding it.  The Shadow was good in the sense it was inexpensive, but I was over matched by the 600 lb weight and 75HP given that I'd had my license for two weeks and had zero motorcycle experience.  I ended up getting rid of the Shadow and bought the bike I used in class, the Suzuki TU250x.

The TUX was exactly what I needed – small, light and nimble, while I figured things out.  I probably would kept the TUX, but it didn't do well on the freeway.  I was OK with the fact it topped out around 80MPH and revved hard while doing so, but it liked to wobble from time to time, which is a bit unnerving at 75MPH.  It probably didn't help they just did the freeway by my house with grooved pavement in both directions for many miles.  I decided to sell the TUX and look for something else.  The TUX had been on CL for 40 days, they delete your ad after 45 days.  I had some mild interest, but nothing too serious, when I got a text asking about it.  Two days later, it was gone.

After the TUX got picked up, I went on eBay to look, thinking maybe I could find a nice price on a V7, but there was the Nevada, it was about a 40 minute ride from my house and the auction ended in a hour.  It was like it was fate.  I put in a bid and no one else did that last hour, so it was mine.  A couple fun facts were I had seen bike on Cycle Trader(had the same small oddly shaped saddle bags on it)two years before and the year before I bought it.  I had sent the seller an email about it and wanted it so bad, but couldn't find anyone to buy my TUX since it was the fall.  The bike also originated from the same small town my Dad was a school teacher in many years ago when I was a baby.  I have no memories of it.

The bike was in like new condition except a bit of bluing on the pipes.  I did have to spend some money on it, mainly for new tires, which were cracked badly, but I've got 8,000 trouble free miles on it so far.  It's such a rare bike, even by Guzzi standards, I get asked about it a lot.

2015 Honda Forza 300 ABS

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2018, 02:45:26 PM »
I was shopping Cl for a TUX250 and had found two sellers offering what would amount to a matched set but my husband wasn't interested in having a little retro naked.  Then one day I walked into a local moto dealer in search of a Honda CTX 700 and saw a blue V7 III Special.  That was it, I was in love! 

I did a bunch of research, lurked about WG, saw the Anniversario online, emailed back and forth with Dave Richardson at MI, and had Anni in my garage in under 3 months from the date of initial first contact.  :thumb:
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2018, 02:49:53 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I jumped right in the deep end
Fast colour VII Sport (green 01)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2018, 03:03:24 PM »
Like you Inditx, I too own a 750 Breva.

I had been on bikes all my life, starting with a lot of miles on a G3L 350 Matchless. I can attest that you can tour with 12bhp! :grin: A succession of Hondas until my shoulders seized when I had to sell my GB400 :cry: I took up mountain biking (easier on the shoulders) worked hard on getting right, then my wife suggested getting a new bike. After about a quarter of a million miles on bikes with chains it had to be belts or shaft. I had seen a Lario earlier on and that spun my wheels, so after looking at other brands I tried out the Breva. I was instantly hooked, put my money down on a red one in late 2003 and have had it ever since.

I love the bike. The motor has never missed a beat. The gearbox, although changing perfectly, is crap. It is about to come apart for the third time. First time untold damage happened when in the middle of a tour the hardening shed on one of the 5th gears. Got home but a lot of damage. When I took it apart it was full of faults. Rebuilt it, then the non-jam pre-selector fork jammed and no gears. Now it has developed a whine/growl in all gears, less in the lower gears and louder as I go up through the gears. Last oil change came out grey. I am wondering if the transfer gears are failing.

I love the bike. It does all I want it to. I can't imagine me selling it (unless someone gave me a V7111 Special) I guess I will gird my loins and attack the gearbox for the third time. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2018, 03:06:01 PM »
 My 74 T Bought in 79 or 80 ,which I modified over the years with a big bore kit ,973 I think, lighten flywheel, dual discs. Kept it for 13 years even though something was always going wrong with it.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 03:06:56 PM by steven c »
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2018, 03:09:01 PM »

My CX about a year or two after I got the bike. Don't have any of the original photo's as it was painted rattle can flat black and had a huge squirrels nest inside the fairing with lots of loose nuts.

I really wanted a 1000S but couldn't find one at the time. Photo's from the original owner from somewhere in Wisconsin:

I quickly ditched the British rear brake and the front windscreen. Unfortunately the owner ruined the top triple tree with the mounts for the windscreen and I was lucky enough to find a NOS one from Agostini.

Both bikes were purchased sight unseen except for the photo's.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline agmon1000

• New Egg
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2018, 03:17:40 PM »
My first Bike and also my first Guzzi was 1988 V65TT, good road bike but not so god off road, not enough rear suspension travel.
Had it for 3 years was my daily ride,  we had fun together.😎

Offline v7john

• Gosling
    • The Racing Rhino
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2018, 04:36:01 PM »
In 1978 I bought this battered V7Sport advertised in the local paper.

Still got it.

1972 V7Sport. Owned by me since 1978.
1972 V7 700cc ex Vigili del Fuoco?
1954 BSA M33

Read my blog at www.racingrhino.wor dpress.com

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here